LegacyGT.com

EyeSight Automatic Braking issue.

JimCrowell37

First I tried a search on "Automatic Braking" but, to my surprise, no hits. Perhaps I need a better phrase than "Automatic Braking" ?

I have a 2017 Legacy Premium with Eye Sight feature. When I first started driving it the brakes were applied automatically when

1. A driver merged to close in front of me on a highway.

2. On a street, a car in front of me turned right into a driveway too slowly, i.e. I got to close to it in Adaptive Cruise control with the 1st setting.

After awhile the above events no longer occurred and my MYSubaru application advised me to get my EyeSight serviced.

I had the service people look at it. They apparently used a cardboard box to simulate a collision, did some tweaking and told me it was working now.

However, I still have never had the automatic braking work as described above plus the MYSubaru application still flagged an EyeSight error.

NOTE: If I have the cruise control set and I get too close to the car in front of me, the car downshifts to control my approach but never applies the brakes if I get too close. I'm 81 years old and cautious about getting dangerously close as a test.

Questions :

1. Are the effects detailed above what the Legacy should have done when working properly?

2. I'm think of trying a different Subaru dealer if also you think it is not working as designed. Is that advisable?

3. Is the cardboard box testing truly the only way a dealership can test this function? I've seen it on Youtube but can not believe, with todays technology that this is the only way it can be dealer tested!

Regards,

Jim

It only needs to force braking if Eyesight believes imminent collision if the driver doesn't take action.

Now if you engage Adaptive Cruise Control which is an add-on function then the distance set determines the activity of the vehicle and again only applies the brakes if there is no drivers intervention.

https://www.subaru.com/guides/legacy/my17/Eyesight

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Rowlette

Thanks for the quick reply...

> It only needs to force braking if Eyesight believes eminent collision if the driver doesn't take action.

I know but how do I know it will do so since the Pre-Collision Braking seemed to be working originally but not now? I understood why it hit the brakes then and do not understand why, under the same conditions, is does not now.

Jim

I really doubt it would be the exact conditions since the real world situations are always fluid. Also our memory of the exact conditions fad and distort in a short amount of time.

I had the service people look at it. They apparently used a cardboard box to simulate a collision, did some tweaking and told me it was working now.

However, I still have never had the automatic braking work as described above plus the MYSubaru application still flagged an EyeSight error.

NOTE: If I have the cruise control set and I get too close to the car in front of me, the car downshifts to control my approach but never applies the brakes if I get too close. I'm 81 years old and cautious about getting dangerously close as a test.

Regards,

Jim

As you stated above they did test it and stated all is normal. There can be an issue with Eyesight if the windshield/ windscreen has been replaced and the replacement was not OEM ES and calibrated.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Jim,

I have not experienced any issues with my EyeSight system (thankfully) but as others have stated, the system generally does not apply the brakes unless a collision is imminent (I find this happens if someone pulls out in front of me and I allow the car to coast up behind them, the car seems to think I am going to hit the person). When engine braking is an effective method of slowing down the vehicle, that is what will be used. In my non-expert opinion, your system is functioning properly.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long story short, last year when I was getting my air bag replaced in my 09 WRX, I had a rental that had Eyesight. I was in crazy Columbia bumper to bumper traffic. MU game was going on and I want to make this light, I punch the gas, knowing I was going to have to stomp the brakes to not rear end the car in front of me.

I hit the gas and was ready to break when needed, but the car killed all power as I was closing in fast, before I could get my foot to the break and stomp it the car was stopping and it did it's thing. lol so it does work.:lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived