LegacyGT.com

2010-2012 Legacy GT 2.5 Turbo Oil Consumption

Hello everyone,

I just bought my 2010 Legacy GT in March of this year with 68k miles. Currently has 81k miles. Recently, my engine oil light has popped on after 2700-2800 miles the last TWO oil changes. I know it is recommended to change oil every 3750 miles to keep the turbo and engine health.

No oil leaks on floor, PCV was just replaced by the dealer at 78k miles. Also had recent head gasket changed at 70k miles. But it hasn't even been 2 months since I changed the oil.

Has anyone else experienced this type of oil consumption??

it may be worth sending a sample to Blackstone Labs. they can tell you what kinds of metals or fluids they hopefully aren't seeing to rule out destroyed rings and 9 time out of 10 tell you if you're having head gasket issues, can be a good way to help diagnose a daily without taking the risk of taking the thing apart. I go 5k miles per change at their recommendation and they've told me that I typically have almost no degradation of the oils properties and could easily go longer if i felt the need. even at 5k the only time I've lost a quart in an interval was when my oil pressure sensor started leaking, but that would likely cause a pretty visible leak if you've gone 6k miles with it leaking. its easy to diagnose with a flashlight tho, look under you alternator, i had a huge puddle on top of the block. everyone says 1 quart per change is normal, but that's not something i've ever seen. 1/2 quart is about the most I've ever seen without having an actual leak.

I use castrol edge 5W-30 FYI

Mine has 82k miles and doesn't use any measurable amount of oil between changes. I would pull the turbo inlet and see if you can spot some oil in there. If not it may be a good idea to invest in an air/oil separator.

I use castrol edge 0-40 A3/B4

Mine does not consume a noticeable amount most of the time. The one time I used Mobil1 I had to add nearly 1.5 quarts before the next oil change. I have had no issues with Rotella T6 5w40.

That’s what I have been using, and 1.5L is about what I had to put in to top it off.

it may be worth sending a sample to Blackstone Labs. they can tell you what kinds of metals or fluids they hopefully aren't seeing to rule out destroyed rings and 9 time out of 10 tell you if you're having head gasket issues, can be a good way to help diagnose a daily without taking the risk of taking the thing apart. I go 5k miles per change at their recommendation and they've told me that I typically have almost no degradation of the oils properties and could easily go longer if i felt the need. even at 5k the only time I've lost a quart in an interval was when my oil pressure sensor started leaking, but that would likely cause a pretty visible leak if you've gone 6k miles with it leaking. its easy to diagnose with a flashlight tho, look under you alternator, i had a huge puddle on top of the block. everyone says 1 quart per change is normal, but that's not something i've ever seen. 1/2 quart is about the most I've ever seen without having an actual leak.

I use castrol edge 5W-30 FYI

I like that idea, I’ve always wanted to get an analysis. I read your post on the oil pressure sensor as well. I took a look under the hood and spotted some residue, not so much pooling. Kinda near the power steering pulley and behind it underneath the inter cooler. Castrol seems to be popular oil with the guys on here. Perhaps it’s the combination of using Mobil 1 5W-30 and a bad sensor. Might take it to the dealer for a dye/consumption test.

Mine has 82k miles and doesn't use any measurable amount of oil between changes. I would pull the turbo inlet and see if you can spot some oil in there. If not it may be a good idea to invest in an air/oil separator.

I use castrol edge 0-40 A3/B4

I’ll look into this with the dealer too. I just had the turbo replaced at 70k miles as well. It was making a metal screeching sound. I’ve done oil changes every 3750 to 4000 miles since March. The guy that did my head gasket and clutch, might have removed the banjo bolt filter. But I’ll look into the turbo inlet, thanks !!

I like that idea, I’ve always wanted to get an analysis. I read your post on the oil pressure sensor as well. I took a look under the hood and spotted some residue, not so much pooling. Kinda near the power steering pulley and behind it underneath the inter cooler. Castrol seems to be popular oil with the guys on here. Perhaps it’s the combination of using Mobil 1 5W-30 and a bad sensor. Might take it to the dealer for a dye/consumption test.

Try changing up your oil. From what I've read Mobil1 5w30 in a turbo boxer engine is not a good combo. I run Castrol 0w30 and don't have any consumption issues. I only go 3k miles on my changes but I have a lot of short trip diving.

Oils I would try

Castrol 0w30 0w40

Rotella 5w40 0w40

Mobil 1 0w40

Stay away from energy conserving oils. Most will sheer/thin out quickly at the cost of protection. I don't have a warranty to worry about so it doesn't have to be gf4 or gf5 approved.

On your first change you'll have to add oil. But stick with the same stuff for 2-3 changes and see how it goes.

This is where I would start if you don't have any obvious issues like oil leaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer found a power steering leak. I knew there was something leaking in that area, I know it’s a totally separate system and thought perhaps it was an oil pressure sensor. Dealer said there was some blowby residue around the turbo and bell housing and basically said that’s normal, carry a quart of oil with you or have your engine completely rebuilt.

Also said some dodge and Chrysler cars recommend a top off every 7-800 miles, I couldn’t believe it but he showed me a pic in their service manual.

Anyway, I switched to Castrol 0W-40 with some JB Tune Up and will monitor consumption over the next 3750 miles.

I should also note when I emptied out the old oil it splashed like the viscosity of water, not thick at all like my fiancé’s Outback, was super dark too. still thinking about that oil lab test!

I would go with a 0w 40 for german cars, either the mobil 1 or castrol edge. I would wait to use Rotella which will most likely burn some on the first change anyway. I would also look very hard at an AOS, all that blowby is going to be sending oil mist into your engine via the turbo inlet if it isn't trapped somewhere else beforehand.

Archived