LegacyGT.com

Banjo Filters

I am ready for the razzing.....yes I searched and can not come up with the thread I saw somewhere regarding the banjo bolts/filters. They were shown on illustrations and broken down for the different model years. I want to remove it/them from my recently acquired '09 LGT. How many and where....or point me to a thread. Thank you.

Sorry to bag on this some more but I think this will be done this weekend along with spark plugs in the LGT. Am I correct in thinking there is ONE filter I need to remove and it is where the line attaches to the head? Thanks.

The important one to remove is on the right side of the engine (right when sitting in the driver's seat), where the oil feed line to the turbo threads in to the head. There are also filters on the left side, but these are less critical to remove.

Look for the pictures for the '07+ LGT, as that's what yours will look like. The banjo bolt is oriented vertically in the '07-'09 model years. I had no problem accessing it with my regular 17mm ratcheting spanner.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

So, I was looking into this. I am going to try to attach a few pics to clarify. I am thinking this banjo bolt is a bit of a project. First pic is showing the banjo, directly under the intake boot on the turbo, which is all oily.....from what? Second pic, you can just see the banjo if you follow the clamp for the intake down, the bolt has some paint marks on it. I also tried to get the bolts/nut for the heat shield bracket in the pic.

I don't believe removing the bracket that is talked about is the ticket. I have no room to swing a wrench, stubby or regular in this area. I think the intake has to come off and get at the bolt from the top. Has anyone gone this route? If so this is going on hold for now....

Why is my intake boot all oil bathed? Nothing else is wet....only that rubber boot. ef6912f7166aab7835355b24a43f183c.jpgb2a31bdd736da6e041669336fb071824.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

In your second photo. the banjo your looking for is just to the right, out of the picture.

I have both filters still in my 09.

Theory is, in a 07-09, the oil cleans the filter as it drains out of the filter, unlike the horizontal filters in the 05-06.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max. That is reassuring, as far as you still having them in. I may just leave it. Oil changes will not exceed 5k on Rotella.

In my second pic (not the greatest I know), you can see part of the bolt with light shining on it, just above the vacuum line for the waste gate actuator and below the intake boot (at least I would assume since it is the line coming from the hot side of the turbo and going back down to the head).

Any ideas as to why that rubber boot is all oily?

PCV system is puking oil into your intake by design and intake is probably getting old.

I've cleaned the PVC from time to time with Seafoam, using suction and pressure to force the carbon gunk buildup out of the valve. Doing this just before an Oil change.

Replacement PCV assembly will help it. AOS will help keep the intake clear of oil as well.

Had some occasional smoky startups until I put the GS AOS on my setup.

I'm due to change my PCV assembly (Or Cleaning), OCVS and Spark Plugs.

Probably best to get an intake ordered and on the shelf for when it is a big problem. They tear at the clamp or the plastic to rubber bond fails. Unless your going to go crazy HP the stock intake assembly is best fit.

As for the banjo bolt filters both of mine are out after the motor rebuild. I do have a 40 micron filter feeding the turbo though. Consensus this is overkill, and I'm ok with that.

Getting the banjo bolt out of the passenger head is something to consider during a timing belt change as it's behind the cover and hard to get to. Some have done it without. Not recommended procedure though. :)

Thanks Max. That is reassuring, as far as you still having them in. I may just leave it. Oil changes will not exceed 5k on Rotella.

In my second pic (not the greatest I know), you can see part of the bolt with light shining on it, just above the vacuum line for the waste gate actuator and below the intake boot (at least I would assume since it is the line coming from the hot side of the turbo and going back down to the head).

Any ideas as to why that rubber boot is all oily?

cooling water return hose. I think that's what your asking about.

I have a hard time seeing exactly what your looking at.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You have a 2009 correct ? It's banjo with filter is up on the top of the valve on the top over the valve cover just in front of the turbo.

This is where it is on a 2005,

DSCN4769.thumb.JPG.3742311f0996b306a4f306ab7641906c.JPG

My banjo bolt is still removed in that picture.

Archived