LegacyGT.com

Tie Down Points for Kayak

I'm getting a kayak soon and while I know that the primary tie down is to the roof rack itself, I am adding tie down spots in the front and rear as an extra security measure.

For the front I am looking to use a spot where the fender attaches to the body and in the rear I am looking to use a spot where the trunk lid attaches to the body as well.

Has anyone used these spots? If not, can anyone recommend a different tie down spot?

20181212_170852.thumb.jpg.2b506690aa360ea3f87a180eb9064a60.jpg

... I know that the primary tie down is to the roof rack itself ...

What roof rack? Isn't this a 2015 Legacy we're talking about?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Whether you need front and rear tie-downs depends on hull length. I have 9' and 12' sit-in kayaks, and they're well secured with Thule Hull-A-Port folding J cradles. I relocated the rear crossbar to the alternate rear-most position, and that helps, as does using cockpit covers to minimize turbulence. I would want tie-downs with 14' or longer hulls. I initally used tie-downs and the rears were hooked to the safety chain slots on my hitch. The point you show is rather high. If you don't have a hitch, you might want to try a loop attached to the hatch catch plate - that will give you a more useful angle.

informenter-marker-1.png

Archived