LegacyGT.com

Help! Fuel tank nipple broken

Hey everyone - I’ve searched the forums and can’t seem to find my answer so I’m asking you guys for help!

Recently my 06 legacy threw a check engine light for p0442 and started smelling gas around rear passenger side of car. I checked the filler neck and looks to be in good shape with exception to one area of surface rust but couldn’t see any pinhole leaks.

Here’s my problem, after further inspection, I noticed one of the evap tubes that goes into the tank and broken off, it looks like the nipple rusted and broke off.

Now I’m sure the proper fix is for a new tank but the cost to replace the tank is now close to what the car is worth. I’ve attached a couple pictures of the issue along with a picture I found on internet from someone who had the same issue. While replacing the tank is correct way to do it, could anyone provide possibly any other solutions that might be able to fix my problem? I was thinking maybe a 2-part epoxy or some other fitting I could get into that hole in the tank? I also read about someone feeding that line back into the filler neck bend where enters the tank?

Suggestions anyone?

Wow you guys get some corrosion on your cars, I presume your in the UK where they pour salt all over the roads ?

What a mess it makes of your cars, things rust out and fall off that are simply never a problem in other countries.

I think I would have to put in a jet wash pad that the car would have to sit on for 1 minute every time I came back in during the winter.

Well that's pretty unsafe to weld that thing, big kaboom, so think of non sparking methods. If the tank is thick enough you might be able to just TAP it for 1/8NPT and just screw in a new 1/8NPT nipple.

If it's not thick enough, JB Weld or QuikSteel might actually be good enough. Believe it or not, I'm using QuikSteel to hold my IAT sensors to the intercooler plastics, and it's holding to 14psi!

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

FWIW, last year I had a buddies body shop replace my gas tank and fuel filler pipe. Sorry I can't remember the total cost right now. I may have the receipt in the car.

Boy the things I do for you guy's. had to take my slippers off put my shoes back on and coat and go out to the car. It's 25F outside. It was also the list receipt in the pile. I had to look through them all...

$1331. parts and labor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, last year I had a buddies body shop replace my gas tank and fuel filler pipe. Sorry I can't remember the total cost right now. I may have the receipt in the car.

Boy the things I do for you guy's. had to take my slippers off put my shoes back on and coat and go out to the car. It's 25F outside. It was also the list receipt in the pile. I had to look through them all...

$1331. parts and labor.

Yeah,yeah....pooe old guy......:hide:

That included the labor to cut a hole in the frame rail to remove and weld in a new nut for one of the chassis bolts.

Overall I'm glad I paid the man. The job is not a quick easy job.

At my age, I know what I want to do and can pay the man when I need to. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well that's pretty unsafe to weld that thing, big kaboom, so think of non sparking methods. If the tank is thick enough you might be able to just TAP it for 1/8NPT and just screw in a new 1/8NPT nipple.

If it's not thick enough, JB Weld or QuikSteel might actually be good enough. Believe it or not, I'm using QuikSteel to hold my IAT sensors to the intercooler plastics, and it's holding to 14psi!

Thanks! I may try that first and see what happens before attempting to replace the tank - I also read that a product called Seal All seems to work pretty well for stuff like this

That included the labor to cut a hole in the frame rail to remove and weld in a new nut for one of the chassis bolts.

Overall I'm glad I paid the man. The job is not a quick easy job.

At my age, I know what I want to do and can pay the man when I need to. ;)

I appreciate you heading out in the cold to check the cost! That’s roughly the same quote I got for a shop near me so now I atleast know they are in the right ballpark

Does anyone know where this particular evap goes to? Or maybe what would happened if you just plugged the hole in the tank and the hose entirely?!

Archived