LegacyGT.com

Because I'm salty...This car has been a lemon.

I agree - they are easy to work on. Most of the items you usually want to access are easy to get to without a lot of special tools or the need of it being a two man job.

I once encountered a car where you had to be two persons just to manage a pulley - one from above and one from below the car, both with socket extenders.

Ever try to get the 7th plug on a 84 Vette? When I finally got mine out I found that the original had been in for 85k miles. Probably took 6 hours for that one plug (in a car port).

I refuse to work on German cars.

Supercars, although alluring are a nightmare to work on and the anxiety takes years of your life. Many require pulling the engine for any service and you have millimeters to work with before damaging the body.

Hell to swap springs on a GTR you have to remove the entire rear upholstery and subwoofer. If you try to lift them improperly the body will fold in the b pillars.

Completely agree on ALL German cars. Absolutely no room and the room you do have won't let you get to anything important. A lot of "I can see it but I can't touch it" stuff.

Supercars are a supreme pain in the ass. My buddy's Testarossa needed an alternator, so we decided to do it ourselves. We had to literally split the car in half at the firewall (behind the seats) to change the stupid alternator (garbage AC Delco CS unit) and then had to bleed all the brakes and clutch. Never again for me.

Completely agree on ALL German cars. Absolutely no room and the room you do have won't let you get to anything important. A lot of "I can see it but I can't touch it" stuff.

It's pretty amazing actually how they have succeeded doing that. Feels like they took lessons from the British car industry and "perfected" it.

My father has a Land-Rover 110FC and to replace the starter you have to pull the cylinder head.

453747.png

I went through my maintenance log tonight, looking at 8 years of ownership of my 2005. I still love the car, especially with the upgrades but I'm seriously considering whether its been worth it. I've easily plowed half the purchase price back into the vehicle in parts...and god forbid all the time and busted knuckles and swearing and other shit. It reads like the "Common maintenance problems" list here and "required maintenance" by the Unabomber over on NASIOC:

•  
    Clutch (twice now!)

Flywheel

Turbocharger

Both CV axles

Both rear hub bearings

Power Steering Pump (TWICE!)

Alternator

Starter

Both LCA's

Radiator

P/S lines and reservoir

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Anyone know of something not on my list to expect to explode in the next few thousand miles? :lol::lol::lol:

Motor, transmission, radiator, Intercooler, calipers. Off the top of my head all things I had to do so far. 230K on mine. Currently replacing the entire exhaust, end links, rear view mirror and adding turbo shield (has always been missing). Now it’s leaking oil and coolent and 2nd transmission is slipping (auto 5eat). Oh ya I had to replace a head before the motor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor, transmission, radiator, Intercooler, calipers. Off the top of my head all things I had to do so far. 230K on mine. Currently replacing the entire exhaust, end links, rear view mirror and adding turbo shield (has always been missing). Now it’s leaking oil and coolent and 2nd transmission is slipping (auto 5eat). Oh ya I had to replace a head before the motor...

Shocks and struts too I forgot those.

I refuse to work on German cars.

You really should give them a chance. The AWD Audi’s are far more durable than the Subaru’s are, in my opinion, and they make the kind of power everyone seems to want out of their Subaru when they’re stock. (Although I have had very little trouble with Subaru’s.) Plus, the Bosch ECUs are easier to work with and make more sense.

I don’t think they’re hard to work on, but I work on things far more challenging on a daily basis. Subaru’s are extremely easy to work on however, so by that standard they might be considered hard.

German cars are over engineered. They really are a pita to work on but those who can, have the ability to make a lot of money. I think the most productive I've been on one was when I did a 7 hour ac job on a ~2011 Jetta in 2 hours. BMW's accordion style hoses suck really bad and always break when replacing the starter (under the manifold).

Archived