LegacyGT.com

Kinked turbo return hose

I am replacing the oil return hose at the bottom of the turbo. I cut it a little bit longer for easier installation. Now the hose is kinked. Will this be an issue causing excessive oil pressure? Should I take turbo back out and cut the hose, or will the oil pressure be able to blast through that kinked corner without a problem? Thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I ended up pulling it out and cutting the hose. The hose still appears to be at a weird angle, as it was originally. Something is causing it to spread on the bottom sprouting a leak.

Does anyone have a picture of how the return pipe should be bolted on? I have a feeling whoever replaced the turbo, bolted it on backwards. I may have to buy an OEM hose that is bent correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a rear photo of D25 heads from 08+?(no halfmoon seals)I

read there is an extra oil port on passenger side that is under pressure, plugged with a bolt and washer. I have replaced every oil seal in that area, except for that crush washer and I'm still getting leaks. If there is indeed a bolt plugging an unused oil port, is removal of turbo needed? I have done it 4 times, but I'm not looking forward to a 5th.

Pulled the turbo off again. Sanded down the return pipe flange as flat as possible. Added some permatex ultra black to both sides of gasket. Wiggled turbo on once again, this time with worm clamp on top of hose. Re used stock spring clamp for bottom of hose(pipe into head). Fired her up and leaking even worse than the past 2 times. This leak is killing me.

I went through this on my current turbo. I sanded my flange flat and reinstalled and it still leaked. I realized I installed the flange backward (180 degrees off) and it was pressing against the turbo support bracket. This bent the pipe just enough that it would always leak.

I ended up buying a new oil return pipe (old one was bent just enough from installing backwards) and reinstalled the new one correctly. There are no longer any leaks.

After a year of dealing with this nasty leak, I have finally discovered the culprit. Its coming from the oil feed line coming off from the head. Just ordered an IAG line. This intake manifold business is not going to be fun.

That's good to know! Just as I was going to ask mods to take this down. I have silicone inlet as well. The turbo is still a pain but i can do that in about 1 hour after doing it 5 times. I have a metal bracket over the fuel injectors and wiring. It also covers the top of the avcs bolt partially.

https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-OEM-Location-Turbo-Oil-Feed-AVCS-Line-WRX-STI-p/iag-eng-2070.htm

If you find the installation instructions from their order page, it talks about the different styles. You probably have the same as me - Style B, since yours is an 09, and mine is an 08.

The bracket that covers the injectors is easy enough to take off to get access to the AVCS banjo. The complicated ones are the ones under the turbo inlet. If you can fold the inlet out of the way, you can get a combination wrench on that bolt. Once you get that out, you can plug that easily enough with the supplied bolt. The rest of the bolts are on the outside of the casing, so they're pretty easy to get to. The other bolt that I couldn't get to was the bracket that holds the line in place under the inlet. I just left that there, and cut both ends of the stock oil tube under the turbo inlet and just left it there. If it's not being fed by anything, it won't leak anything! Once that's out of the way, the IAG line just bolts up as part of the re-assembly. Not too bad.

Archived