LegacyGT.com

'02-"07 3" WRX Cobb turbo back? Noob and in need of guidance

Building my '05 OBXT on a low budget. Been bargain hunting for exhaust for some time now. I just picked up a VERY slightly used catted 3" turbo back Cobb exhaust for an' 02-07 WRX for 600CAD. That kit retails for 2000CAD, so I got a crazy good deal. I know it'll need to be re-bent in order to fit, and will need some length added. That's all I know though.

I have a couple questions, will the down pipe flange bolt up to my turbo? Or will that also be an issue?

2nd question: Am I moderately stupid for buying the kit? Or am I extremely stupid for buying the kit?

I should add, I have a 3" catless SS 4th gen downpipe that I could cut the flange off if needed. Or I could cut the cat off the Cobb and have it welded into the catless downpipe. Not sure if either of those options would work.

I'm new to the turbo world, and have only owned one subaru before, an '84 GL coupe, haha. Any guidance would be so very appreciated.

The thing that scares me most is "low budget"

These cars can become "money pits" very quickly if you don't know what your doing or buying.

It seems like once a week someone comes on here and say's I just bought the car a couple day's ago and the engine blew up or the turbo blew.

Let's hope your not that guy.

There are are very few exhaust that fit the wagon body style, I think even fewer for the outback. Wagons have longer bumpers, the mid pipes and Y pipes are the same. the tips are different.

The OBXT and GT's do share a lot of parts engine and turbo wise.

Read the sticky's at the tops of the forums, lots of good info and tips there.

I'm thinking your better off looking for a use exhaust made for your car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think spending over 200$ on exhaust is crazy..

Well not really...I guess to me(my budget, etc...the prices of some things are beyond what id like to spend).but I have a welder and can fab somethings...

Downpipes for example...lol...companies are making a killing off off them ..ok...stainless pipe and stainless flanges. ....and a flex piece...

I guess a lot of it is the companies name..the overhead they have etc...how large they are...some of the engineering that goes into those parts etc...

I do admire that though.

But I'm looking at it from the view of someone that's welded...made some of my own exhaust parts for other cars...been into a couple exhaust shops and seen the extent of what is done etc...

It's not rocket science...bend it right..weld it..bolt it up...etc...

But I second that yeah..these cars can be money pits...that's why mines still all stock. :icon_sad:

By "low budget" I just mean I'm not afraid to go used and not afraid of doing some work. Haven't been able to find used exhaust to fit my car. Looked everywhere.

The thing that scares me most is "low budget"

These cars can become "money pits" very quickly if you don't know what your doing or buying.

It seems like once a week someone comes on here and say's I just bought the car a couple day's ago and the engine blew up or the turbo blew.

Let's hope your not that guy.

There are are very few exhaust that fit the wagon body style, I think even fewer for the outback. Wagons have longer bumpers, the mid pipes and Y pipes are the same. the tips are different.

The OBXT and GT's do share a lot of parts engine and turbo wise.

Read the sticky's at the tops of the forums, lots of good info and tips there.

I'm thinking your better off looking for a use exhaust made for your car.

OP: drop the idea of this exhaust. It’s not going to remotely fit, complete wrong shape.

It is possible to fit ‘08+ WRX/STI exhaust if you have access to a welder. You need to extend the midpipe and redo the hangers.

If you’re on an extreme budget ether build something from scratch or buy an eBay exhaust. Or even better: higzaust and done. If you’re super budget you’re never going to make big power (50+lb/min turbo), so anything beyond the stock exhaust is just a noise maker.

Archived