LegacyGT.com

Driveshaft making contact

Hi all,

So tried searching and did find some general useful information but nothing really matching what I’m experiencing

Car: 05 LGT 5EAT

Long story short my driveshaft u joint is shot, it’s rusted through and where grease would be is shattered

In any case, I ordered a new driveshaft from wholesaleimport parts mainly based on reviews and price (otherwise would have gone 1 piece aluminum)

Shaft did fit, seems like it works, until I took a turn (from complete stop with low accelaeration) — and behold, the shaft is banging around beating on the bottom of the car (it sounds like a damn hammer hitting the bottom) I have pictures and can see where there is a u joint right after the center support where it is making contact (this is at least what I believe it is due to where the noise is coming from, as well as the scrapes I could see where contact occurred)

Oddly enough this only happens during turns, but not all turns — when it does happen if I start to straighten out the wheel and drive straight it stops banging

I am being told by vendor that they have sold 100+ of the same design in last year and only 5% return so they do not believe it is a design flaw, but I have no other idea what it could be... I mean it comes down to, no noise before and did not have the issue, replace the driveshaft and now I get the banging noise

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have a bad engine or tranny mount ?

Is the carrier bearing tight in its mount ?

Do have Group N engine mounts on the car, they do have about 80k miles on them at this point but I would hope they are still good

Tranny mount is still the original but does have rallitek inset

I will need to check the mounts to see if they are bad

Carrier bearing is tight

Grab the front shaft just in front of the carrier bearing and see how much movement up/down, side to side the shaft has. Should be very little. Do the same with with the front end of the rear shaft. That should verify the propeller shaft is ok.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Engine mounts seem to be okay - had someone rev up the engine while I watched and did see any movement

Transmission mount seems okay physically, it doesn’t look like garbage from what I can tell, but I tried to move the entire tranny and it does move a bit

I ended up removing the shaft and reinstalling because had to get some pictures and the contact hasn’t happened yet but now there is fluid leaking from where the shaft slides into the transmission

Am I doing something wrong here? like omfg - this thing is literally 6 bolts to remove and reinstall and now I’m losing fluid

You may have nicked the seal in the back of the tranny. That may need to be replaced.

As you say, its a pretty easy job.

I did replace the one in my wagon a couple years back. But I have also removed it and put it back in way to many times...long story.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived