LegacyGT.com

Month Project tunred Winter Project

Another thanks for this thread.

I'd read it when it was much smaller, and I was just looking at a couple of things you'd done, and was planning on emulating, then a couple of times again as more has been added. Noteably, I need to smoke test my fuel tank and figure out if it is leaking... I've got a filler neck ready to go in which is certainly the easy fix, but if the tank has to come down, I will do as you did and POR-15 and liner coat the entire rear section. You mention wishing you'd done some things differently, any of it relevant to that part of the rebuild?

I am also curious to hear what you think of the automotive adhesive and the panel patches this far along. I have the usual 4th Gen rear wheel arch rust, and got in some panels from Subie Savers. If I *really* have to, I'll get out the Mig and try not to burn too many holes in my car, but I really think that for non-structural stuff like this, adhesives are the way of the future.... Less risk for rust to come back, no welding spatter in places you can't touch etc...

I'f you're happy with that a few years on, I think I'd give it a go...

Cheers!

Thanks for reading! So a few things I wish I did different, would be maybe not truck bed line the underside. I definitely would do a more in depth job of touching up what little surface rust points the car had underside if I were tackling it now (Think Redish motor sports). I also would have routed the brake lines to not the stock routing. I like the idea of sending the driver side line under the rear seat then down on the driver side instead of totally outside the car.

I do need to go back and clean up the mating surfaces of the wheel bearings to knuckles or trailing arms (i painted them but definitely need it to be bare metal with anti-seize or something)

As for the wheel arch, it really depends on severity. I haven't checked it for life cycle progress. For the smaller patches, that are not seen (like my case) I'd use the panel bond every time, no question. A larger section, the 'proper' way would be to follow 05MNLGT and replace the entire panel.

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Thanks for reading! So a few things I wish I did different, would be maybe not truck bed line the underside. I definitely would do a more in depth job of touching up what little surface rust points the car had underside if I were tackling it now (Think Redish motor sports). I also would have routed the brake lines to not the stock routing. I like the idea of sending the driver side line under the rear seat then down on the driver side instead of totally outside the car.

I do need to go back and clean up the mating surfaces of the wheel bearings to knuckles or trailing arms (i painted them but definitely need it to be bare metal with anti-seize or something)

As for the wheel arch, it really depends on severity. I haven't checked it for life cycle progress. For the smaller patches, that are not seen (like my case) I'd use the panel bond every time, no question. A larger section, the 'proper' way would be to follow 05MNLGT and replace the entire panel.

Awesome man, thanks.

I probably should have stipulated a *maybe* on the bedliner for whole rear end.... I was really thinking of doing that mainly in areas where it's likely to see a lot of gravel strike, but all that being said, I may just take a pass. Por-15 is pretty good stuff, and you can just clean it up and paint more on as needed, as opposed to bedliner which is pretty gnarly to work with, as I understand it. If you'd think twice about it, I'll pass for now. This car won't see winters anymore once it is done, so I suspect even POR 15 is overkill, except that it's already rusted. (I googled Redish Motorsport, and wow.... tho it had better be good when you are paying more to have your car 'cleaned up' than mine is worth if you sum the purcase price and all mods....) I don't think I would go quite that far, but I bought a 2-post lift last year and am trying to building a place to put it, so that would be pretty awesome to make the underside look 'newish'.

I'll look at 05MNLGT's thread when I find it. It's rear quarter panels, so there are no donors that I know of, and if his thread involves drilling out all the seam weld for the whole back end, I'd probably capitulate and have a shop just do the fenders for the money. Rear cuts are available relatively rust free from Japan here, but they're as much as I paid for my low-mile, running LGT, so that is a bit of a pill to swallow!!

Thanks for the feedback! So much I need to do, but it will all have to wait at least until the snow melts.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, project money is going to be in short order for the near future....buying a house stuff. If only go faster parts could be bought for those. Good news is the wagon will be housed in the new spacious garage for the winter without threat from the wife. It has been in a single car garage for the past 4 winters but with plenty of complaining coming from the better 3/4!

Bonus, there is plenty of ceiling space for a 2 post lift!

• Like 2

Steering Rack Rebuild

Congrats dude! I understand the excitement/feel your pain.

I just got through an 8 month long ordeal to get a by-law variance to build a 2 car garage in my backyard.

Total cost so far in permits and survey work has been like…$5K. And that is before I’ve spent a dime on building it. So…. Yeah. That is a fuel system, tune and paint job, which the car badly needs.. ah well.

I did already buy a 2 post asymmetrical lift, which has been sitting in the dealers warehouse the entire time, so when it is finally done, far less time spent in my sun-baked driveway on my back doing work.

Best if luck with the house and all the mini-projects that will certainly come Along with it. Please do keep up the great build/restoration thread. As I’ve said before, it’s been both informative and inspirational. Coming from someone in much the same position.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Oh there will still be projects galore! Just in due time. Waiting for me currently are:

New Down pipe, properly tuning out the down stream O2 sensor, Facelift front end (bumper, fenders and headlights), properly wiring in the map lights to the BIU, finally making the correct circuit for the occupant detection system. That is all stuff I already have on hand and cost nothing more to do since the parts are already in my possession

• Like 1

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 5 weeks later...

Fixed a fuel tank leak here. I've driven the car for 4k miles so far this summer and it's been awesome! This winter will see some continued maintenance but in the mean time it will continue as my DD so long as there is no salt on the road!

wagooon.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

Glad you'll be enjoying your day's in the wagon. :)

Mine will be sitting most of the next week. I think it's too low to drive over the curb to get onto the street. A new driveway got installed a couple of days ago. The Spec clears the curb with a 2x6 on the street, I may have to add 2x8 under the 2x6. I have pictures in the Garage forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Day 1. The GT is the first car in the new house! I christened the garage with a small bit of oil, on purpose (see blue rag from clean up). The wife thinks I'm weird but what else is new. I'm excited, there is so much room for activities!!

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6921.jpg

• Like 2

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 minute ago, jaylew said:

Day 1. The GT is the first car in the new house! I christened the garage with a small bit of oil, on purpose (see blue rag from clean up). The wife thinks I'm weird but what else is new. I'm excited, there is so much room for activities!!

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6921.jpg

Oh dude!! That’s making me even more impatient to build mine. It won’t be that big, quite, but still!

I’m jealous, but once I get my 2-post, I’ll get over it. Hah!

• 8 months later...

Haven't done a lot in quite some time. In prep for the east coast meet, I refinished the face lift headlights I have had on hand for 2 years now. 400, 800, 1500, 2000 grit sanding. Then acetone vapor to restore it. Came out great! I will be doing a ceramic coat to protect them. We'll see how these hold up. If they don't last with ceramic coating, (which I plan to apply at least twice a year) then I'll re-sand and go for the default of clear coating them. This is part restoration, part experiment. So far so good.

The driver lens came out perfect, while the passenger is ok. Driver is an OE lens while the passenger is TYC so I am assuming that is why. Still will have a great 5 foot look and way better than what it was!

Next I need to reseal the lens to the housing, and can finally bolt on the face lift front end!

after.jpg

before.jpg

during.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild