LegacyGT.com

Month Project tunred Winter Project

For the lines that go by the turbo up pipe, I went OE. For the return line cooler, I went Rein off rockauto and same for the pump feed. The cooler line, is the 06+ where the cooler was removed. So I just cut up the non-cooler return hose and use it to replace the rubber hoses on my cooler line. You can see that in one of my pics in my last post.

I'll have a whole write up on rebuilding the rack soon, since there isn't any how-to out there besides the very confusing Subaru repair manual.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 4 weeks later...

I am waiting on parts form the dealership, so in the mean time I am cleaning the engine, and refinishing a lot of plastic trim. We'll see how long the stuff I got lasts but so far it looks amazing. I removed the cowl, and also cleaned out all dust / leaves that were there from 240k miles. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Also replaced all trany cross member bushings and the trany mount. I am excited to see how it is new. I do have a group N trany mount if I wish to jump up to that, but I like to keep this car with some compliance.

IMG_2495.thumb.jpg.51293b843b9559e51699fd04a72fb2f1.jpg

IMG_2503.thumb.jpg.92cbf8e3846845d82266adc8d3cd3009.jpg

IMG_2499.thumb.jpg.aa0c29ed743ec0b59ae7a4867c96ce37.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 2 weeks later...

I am replacing every cooler related hose on the engine. 200k+ miles. They were pretty dry and some of it was like molded to the piping and ripped real easy. Some good preventative maintenance so I don't blow a hose before I do an entire engine build. I am marking all new rubber components with paint so I know for easy identifying in the future.

Also to prevent the rubber components near from heat cycling I wrapped it all with heat wrap.

I bypassed the throttle body heater hose because this car won't see winter roads ever again. This way removing the intake manifold will be easier in need be in the future.

Lastly, I am removing the old electrical tape and plastic sleeving on the engine harness, because it is all brittle. It is being wrapped in high temp fabric electrical tape. This will clean it up a lot. I will heat wrap certain portions to further protect it.

1339538378_newheaterhose.thumb.jpg.74ac95369b5c53c33c41fd3a7c367cc6.jpg

659622578_oldcoolanthoses.thumb.jpg.4e53562936d935f1bfeb9bc14dbea408.jpg

542794335_frontwaterpipe.thumb.jpg.a04b340babb57236904f2b744d8639d9.jpg

318110017_heatwrap1.thumb.jpg.6ef0f514b8d091a29875705841a2879d.jpg

1269689571_heatwrap2.thumb.jpg.a8b4d53ccf5d71c360b034a49f1825cf.jpg

1760367856_throttlebodybypass1.thumb.jpg.b795b4f0ebd2437cb38702d8d2815600.jpg

2028562893_engineharness.thumb.jpg.33163474dcacfcf151a22033acc6faee.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 2 weeks later...

Recently went to a local junk yard, and snagged the steering wheel buttons for the later model information screen and S-Drive. I already go it wired up for the backlight but I am still not sure what I will make the button functions be. This is more of a why not, cause I can kind of thing...and it is still OE

Also found the master cylinder where the dampener can be deleted so that is already upgraded and installed. That plus the SMFW and new clutch, it is going to feel fantastic. The old master is on the top. I will likely buy a new piston to rebuild it at some point. Unknown mileage on the new-to-me master

Finished removing all the old electrical tape off the engine harness, and boy was it crusty from all the heat cycling. Now wrapped in high temp fabric electrical tape, plus the heat reflective wrap to protect it further especially the parts near the turbo.

TGV, and intake manifold are installed. All new fuel soft lines, some hardlines replaced, and all vacuum lines replaced. Anything with the pink/purple marker on it is new. That in addition to all new coolant hoses, means I shouldn't have to worry about boot leaks, and coolant leaks. I have replacement ventilation lines, but I will wait to use those on a new engine build so that the new stuff doesn't get disgusting from my old engines blow by. This is all to hold me over and all the vacuum/coolant stuff can easily be put on a new engine and still be good.

Last the cowl is reinstalled, and looks so good after restoring the plastic to deep black again!

steeringwheel.thumb.jpg.5489ccc52283b9c4d8e5bfd611959303.jpg

clutch.thumb.jpg.d38d0b1b7c9675281c7f62137603c4d9.jpg

harness1.thumb.jpg.919abf89be100dee92755c93aa9badbd.jpg

harness2.thumb.jpg.1ff455e2c583d9a3d61991d6fd6b01f9.jpg

engine.thumb.jpg.fd331194ec719223de4edd42b8a0f9dc.jpg

cowl.thumb.jpg.cbfa6a4afc3eea195e92ae7453a3697d.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

This is awesome!!! And inspiring! Thank you for documenting your journey. I have a 2005 sedan with 120k miles that has lived not the nicest of lives in the NE. It has mostly sat for the last 3 years or so, just because it needed some attention and it made me sad not be able to give it. Situation has gotten a little more predictable and I am finely able to start dreaming again. I am doing a few things right now just to get it to pass inspection (down pipe cracked) and to add a little excitement (catted hi flow DP, stage 2 tune, fixing exhaust heat shield rattles, etc.)

Anyhow, I have been debating what I will do when it comes time for major overhaul. Start fresh with a car from out west or just replace every damn thing on the one I've got. Mine is in about the same condition as yours was from the looks of it.

You have given me some major hope and inspiration towards putting in the work necessary to bring mine up to snuff instead of putting everything off until I can find a fresher example. Great thread!

• 2 months later...

It has been a while. Work has been crazy :spin:. Lets see, what did I do...I got the exhaust and turbo installed. I tried to a knock off braided line for both the AVCS and turbo feed, but I wasn't a fan, so I went back to the hardline for AVCS. Got an adapter to go from the hardline to -4 AN, and now have a braided line to only the turbo.

PCV couplers are amazing for rear main seal drivers...just watch your fingers when you swing lol

Shout out again to MaxCapacity for the flywheel hook up!

Don't look too long at the picture of the engine hanging on the hoist, it only gets worse the longer you look. Horrible Freight was out of load levelers, so I just sent it. Fun fact, the turbo 2.5L engines are more heavy and cumbersome than subaru's NA 2.2L from the 90's.

My janky but totally working DIY power bleeder for my clutch. I now think my old master with the non-removable dampener was bad. The clutch peddle with the rebuilt master, rebuilt slave and new clutch feels amazing compared to OE dual mass nonsense.

Next up on the list is to finish painting the face lifted mirror covers and finish the wiring for these power folding mirrors.

So far no power steering leaks from either pump or rack that I rebuilt. So now I can say that my rebuild write up actually works haha

And last, the engine all back together and running after 9 months out for what started as 'just a clutch replacement'.....I should have known better that it was never just a clutch replacement.

IMG_2907.thumb.jpg.dbd4d939f5e4ba08cebcbebe9d184845.jpg

IMG_2921.thumb.jpg.ada9979c9cfc2bf454208625fb63f6fa.jpg

IMG_3156.thumb.jpg.329fac59d10cf23ab43c9a282ba82770.jpg

IMG_3294.thumb.jpg.67525943e4092debdb9e347132cc5f2d.jpg

IMG_3317.thumb.jpg.7978880a4abf4a8a246c3c9258727809.jpg

IMG_3336.thumb.jpg.52c0758ff761ef6a56ab84c80862444b.jpg

IMG_3357.thumb.jpg.57ca7f410288aa8d426ba8106dbbf3be.jpg

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

I drove the old gal around the block a few times the other day. Felt great!! Just have to adjust the clutch pedal a little, and use up this 9 month old gas. It drives great and I think the replacement of all the old vacuum lines was totally worth it! No leaking still which is a good sign.

Steering Rack Rebuild

So I am getting closer to the JDM facelift power folding mirror utopia. I repainted the mirror covers to silver to an homage to the S402. I used Duplicolor Honda Silver and then SprayMax 3680061 2k Clear. For a rattle can job I am quite happy. It still needs wet sanding and buffing to remove some orange peal but that is the only draw back on how they look now.

Please excuse my ragged painting booth.

IMG_3410-min.thumb.jpg.e41105e1259814ae136351365edc9b2b.jpg

IMG_3398-min-min.thumb.jpg.153f26ce18f6290fe9ad9cf18e7ac1b3.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend running new wire for the Harman Kardon speakers. I soldered the pigtails originally but now I am too anal to let that fly. New wiring with freshly crimped pins. This was all because I was running the wires for the power folding mirrors.

Speaking of which...I still need to finish the rest of the wiring for that to work. BUT, the mirror housings bolted on, looks bitchin IMO.

IMG_3561.thumb.jpg.73b3dc6e1d832f4276a414ab993a3c02.jpg

IMG_3543.thumb.jpg.680417a0af980cf42e76b9e7f5546fff.jpg

IMG_3539.thumb.jpg.d7e0a56a53a7bb63224365e818106aa4.jpg

IMG_3538.thumb.jpg.f6620cee6e697f0cbccb9593d93c857b.jpg

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 3 weeks later...

Recently took the dash out to complete the work of wiring up the power folding side view mirrors. Dash removal isn't needed but it makes wire routing easier. plus while i was in there, I finished replacing every last AC actuator motor. All 4 are new and ready for another 200k before making any clicking noises.

It was a lot of fun testing it while the dash was out and watching all the flaps move...albeit quietly!! Next up on the list was properly powering my HK stereo the correct way. I originally was pulling all power from the head unit. I found the correct power wire location and explained in my post here. I feel much better now with the proper circuit and wire gauge.

Finally drove the damn thing to work!!! Oh how I missed driving this! New clutch is feeling better with every mile. I do need to adjust the pedal a bit but that won't be difficult. I couldn't stop going to the window at work to look at her in the parking lot.

So far no leaks! With every movement of the steering wheel, I feel more confident in my rack rebuild...check my signature, could save you some money.

Lastly, the power folding mirrors are awesome! I am in love, especially the silver paint job I did! I am going to get in trouble because I keep playing with them when no one is around me on the road.

Needs a wash bad!

Test.thumb.jpg.0e97a1ddac08a354fcdad2b0d6b92b6e.jpg

324949101_partlybacktogether.thumb.jpg.3bc9cda29d72d9300848ed76a01ce001.jpg

newhk.thumb.jpg.9067e7fd0a51058c404e5646dc5a138b.jpg

inthewild.thumb.jpg.fd94fb4ea4e9102ba4b4a3f6c931c0a5.jpg

afterwork.thumb.jpg.252503e17eab4bacfc7a0661a3558c1e.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the bezel around the cubby because the old one broke at the point where the one of the coarse screws hold the cubby...old plastic. In a quick decision I over paid for a brand new one since all the bezels in the junk yard are beat up and broken too.

I also upgraded my magnetic phone mount to account for how heavy new phones are

Last I got a custom sunshade because nothing on amazon fits the tapper of our windshields. Its by covercraft and i highly recommend

moch-up.thumb.jpg.dccccd603d2e93feaab8ead02234187c.jpg

removed.thumb.jpg.54b493341551478f61583b979949b52f.jpg

2125040171_phonemountinuse.thumb.jpg.317052a16e8655f152c894e04ae9fd9a.jpg

1876162897_phoneuse.thumb.jpg.7cd34bbfcabb3a97ff7fbc6bedba9911.jpg

696989989_sunshade.thumb.jpg.eb759c26f1e3fdad6ec40278cf8e9982.jpg

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 4 months later...

I am so happy I found this thread, I just can't believe I didn't find it sooner! I thought I may very well be the only person silly enough to restore one of these cars, but here we are. Awesome work man. My specB isn't quite as high mileage as yours, but pretty darn close, and also a New England car. Last year I did a full nut-and-bolt restoration of the rear end, along with stripping and re-epoxying the undercarriage. I'm currently underway on the front end and using your rack rebuild guide. I've got the engine on a stand and will be doing that over the winter as well, bouncing between that and more fab-heavy work on my WRX.

Cheers man!

My 2007 specB (full undercarriage & drivetrain refinish, every nut and bolt replaced, full engine rebuild/restore, glass-out respray, air ride, wide body, and more! All done by me, at home!)

Instagram: @bagriders_john for more Subarus (and also my wife and cat)

Thanks!! There are definitely some regrets to some of the work I did (or lack there of when undercoating) but hey are any of use truly experts? We try our best. I have a an entire USDM facelift bumper, fenders etc waiting to go on. Just need to restore the headlights and remove the amber reflector before hand. A lot of projects have been getting in the way, but the wagon is in the garage now for the winter, so soon I'll be to wrenching on it in my spare time and have more updates.

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 1 month later...

Jaylew--Your thread has been awesome to read through. So much so that I had to register. Your build looks great. I have been working on my 2.5i making full suspension upgrades and it's kind of nostalgic seeing your documentation. I am about to rebuild the heads and swap in a reman shortblock on mine.

What did you ultimately come to find on the airbag problem? I have done a similar swap recently where I found a just mint condition leather interior from a 2006 to replace a very boogered up 2005 cloth for my OB. Of course, the airbag light is illuminated.

Was swapping the airbag control worthwhile?

I'll have to circle back on this one. Been a min.

Question though.

Your saying there are four actuator motors? I was under the impression there are only two. I'm in the 244K mark and getting mentally prepared to pull the dash for this fix.

Thank you both. It has been a minute since I have been able to do anything to my car. Timing belts on both my daily and my wife's daily plus other work has gotten in the way. I hope in the next 2 weeks to be back under the car, cursing with a smile!

Anyway: Airbag. That is a project I haven't touched in a while. I have a new idea to trick the 05 system to work with 06+ passenger seat but that is not high on the priority list. Check out Here and Here. That should give more detailed answer. My temporary solution is definitely a hack but the air bag will still work.

As for the dash, A/C. Yes, there are 4 motors. I made a post in this thread with the part numbers here and go with whatever part is superseded, since most of the 05 actuators are no longer available.. There is also good info in this thread.

Also was no one going to tell me that I can't spell for my life??? Just now am seeing the misspelling in this thread title:spin:

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

Thank you both. It has been a minute since I have been able to do anything to my car. Timing belts on both my daily and my wife's daily plus other work has gotten in the way. I hope in the next 2 weeks to be back under the car, cursing with a smile!

Anyway: Airbag. That is a project I haven't touched in a while. I have a new idea to trick the 05 system to work with 06+ passenger seat but that is not high on the priority list. Check out Here and Here. That should give more detailed answer. My temporary solution is definitely a hack but the air bag will still work.

As for the dash, A/C. Yes, there are 4 motors. I made a post in this thread with the part numbers here and go with whatever part is superseded, since most of the 05 actuators are no longer available.. There is also good info in this thread.

Also was no one going to tell me that I can't spell for my life??? Just now am seeing the misspelling in this thread title:spin:

I'm dislexic as fu*ck , and I can't spell. I didn't notice tell you mentioned it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure I just got the process figured out for 2006-2007 seats in the 2005.

I used your posts as a jumping off point and built on them just a bit:

I made a custom harness using the 6-pin male connector from 2006+ harness, and the ODS connection from the 2005 seat. only 3 of the 2005 wires get used. the remaining 3 wires on the 6-pin went the the Belt Tension Sensor on the 2006+ seat belt at the base of the b-pillar. Connected every thing and plugged it in. Airbag light on.

If you compare the 2005 with the 2006/2007 SRS module, you'll notice all the pinout is the same, so no need to change the harness out. I swapped in a 2006 SRS module and the light is out now.

I'll make a separate post when I get a chance with some actual diagrams.