LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a 2013 Legacy - Idle question

Hey everyone, went to test drive a used 2013 Legacy (non-turbo) with the 6 speed manual last week.

I noticed the idle speed was rather high, like closer to the 800rpm range. This was after a good run on the highway too so the motor was at operating temp.

Is this normal for this car? My current 2006 legacy idles at about 500rpm IIRC.

Otherwise, any other tips for this gen I could look out for?

Thanks!!

I do believe this is normal for the 5th gen 2.5i or GT.

My GT will idle around 12-1500 rpm on cold start then will settle to somewhere between 700-800 rpm.

Only other conrcerns I would have with the car would be the oil consumption recall and if this car was either repaired or outside the vin range.

Edited by foxrider28

I do believe this is normal for the 5th gen 2.5i or GT.

My GT will idle around 12-1500 rpm on cold start then will settle to somewhere between 700-800 rpm.

Only other conrcerns I would have with the car would be the oil consumption recall and if this car was either repaired or outside the vin range.

Awesome thanks! I did run the vin on the Subaru Canada site and it is showing that it is eligible to be fixed if it is consuming oil.

8 years/160000kms coverage I believe. From the carfax report I see no issues and the subaru dealer I got in touch with told me a bit of the service history which seemed pretty normal.

If you buy the car and it's eligible for the oil (not fuel) consumption fix get it straight to your nearest Subaru dealership and start the consumption test. As long as you start the test before 100k miles you're good to go. They'll have your drive it for 1000 miles I think and then bring it back. If the oil level has dropped by something like 1/2 qt to 1 qt you get a new short block. Don't miss out of that opportunity.

Don't worry about the idle rpm too much or let it dissuade you from buying an awesome car.

Edited by A_A_ron
type

If you buy the car and it's eligible for the fuel consumption fix get it straight to your nearest Subaru dealership and start the consumption test. As long as you start the test before 100k miles you're good to go. They'll have your drive it for 1000 miles I think and then bring it back. If the oil level has dropped by something like 1/2 qt to 1 qt you get a new short block. Don't miss out of that opportunity.

Don't worry about the idle rpm too much or let it dissuade you from buying an awesome car.

I think you mean oil consumption...

If you buy the car and it's eligible for the oil (not fuel) consumption fix get it straight to your nearest Subaru dealership and start the consumption test. As long as you start the test before 100k miles you're good to go. They'll have your drive it for 1000 miles I think and then bring it back. If the oil level has dropped by something like 1/2 qt to 1 qt you get a new short block. Don't miss out of that opportunity.

Great info! Thanks!