LegacyGT.com

Transmission Whining

I’ve got a whine in the transmission, worse in reverse, not noticeable at higher speeds. It’s had it for a few years, probably worse in cold weather. Recently had to replace the radiator and ended up draining a little ATF during—very dark, actually thought it was oil until looking closer. I don’t think it’s been changed ever, just topped off. I’m reading on google that it’s likely a clogged line or filter. Figure my first step is gonna be changing out the fluid and filter, since it’s probably went 170k+ without it being done. :eek:

What’s the fluid capacity before I get started? I have to special order it, so I can’t get started without knowing how much fluid I need and I can’t seem to find it online.

And is the front/rear differential fluid something I need to change at the same time? (Does my car even have that? Same fluid? Capacity?)

And while I’m at it and it’s the same fluid... what about the power steering?

If anyone’s got a cheat sheet on fluid capacity, send it my way!

EDIT: Forgot to mention it’s a 2009 model, 2.5l 4c, non-turbo, 5EAT w/ sportshift.

A lot of these things can be looked up. The front and rear diff use gear oil, I think about 5 quarts between them. I think I recall you want to service them every 100-150k miles? The 5 speed auto takes about 10-11 quarts of atf if you flush it which you definitely should if your old fluid was that bad. 4eat takes a different amount Google it. Rockauto has a good deal on Beck Arnley stuff that works just fine. Find a genuine atf filter from Subaru on eBay or Amazon, I think it's black and it says transmission only all over it. 4th gen has it behind the battery I think just follow the lines from the radiator.

Again lot of this stuff can be Googled. Based on what you described you definitely want to flush the transmission which includes taking the pressurized line off the radiator and turning the engine over until you drain about a quart or two. Refill the transmission and repeat until the fluid coming out is clean. Your diffs almost certainly need servicing too. They use their own oil 75w-90 I think. Again double check everything with your own research.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The service manual will help you.

I'm not a 5eat guy but the GT's rear diff takes .8L of Motul Gear 300, I'll assume the front diff takes the same fluid. read the manual for what to use.

There is a Tranny Forum on here that may have some answers, or members you could reach out to in a PM.

Oh, Welcome to the Forum

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Didn’t scroll through the whole forum before posting so sorry if it was in the wrong forum. I’ll check it out before the next post.

I couldn’t find much googling it and I know the manual didn’t tell me anything for the amount of antifreeze/coolant. I’ll check it on these fluids though to be sure!

Thanks!

The owners manual will have capacities. I can't believe the service manual doesn't list them either.

An Auto Parts Store may know how much ATF you'll need too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived