LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7/Double Din Alternative - Android Head Unit

nevets27

TL;DR at the bottom...

I figured I would put this out there if anyone was interested. This mostly pertains to the 4th gens. (Sale on these until the 26th)

I haven't actually done it but it looks possible.

Nothing particularly special about this, these are just chinese android head units. I never considered them much but they sound like they are getting better.

But these have a detachable screen and a single din box for the board.

android%208.0%20touch%20screen%207%20inch%20single%20din%20unit%2020.jpg

From the rough measurements I did, the single din box would fit under the existing OEM stereo. If you have SAT then it will need to be removed. Which is the additional box under the OEM stereo. With the SAT module removed there should be enough space to mount the single din. This was based off my 09 with climate control, this won't work on cars without climate control, but the double din kit is easily available for that situation.

You could then get the 1m screen cable

which should easily give enough length to get up to the cubby/jdm nav bezel.

Mounting it would have to be worked out of course but it does come with a nice metal back for the screen and mounting clips. The dimensions of the 7in looks like it would actually fit in the OEM USDM cubby, with removal of the frame that hold the clock. Width wise it will fit between the vents.

There is also the option of going with a 8in or 9in screen. The 9in screen looks like it would fit in the dash. It looks like it would fit the trim piece fine height wise but would definitely be into the vents on the USDM cubby. There's a good chance the 8in screen will fit the JDM nav. But can't be sure, the nexus is 200mm wide and the 8in is 209mm wide. The nexus is 114mm high and the 8in is 127, of course some of that is bezel.

From reading around it does look like joying has decent support and a lot of people have that brand, technically all the chinese use basically the same hardware though. The model that would be the one to go for is one running a PX5 and the FYT version.

Lots of info on xda. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto

Review of the above joying unit

There are some tweaks and mods available for these units.

Be careful about part numbers, not exactly sure how to make sure its a FYT. The also have warehouses in USA, CN, EU which actually changes the part number.

The main reason I haven't pulled the trigger and bought one is there are reports that the bluetooth calling quality isn't good. And that's important to me. But there may be mods to improve it to a degree. The other minor things I've read is over all audio quality isn't on par with kenwood/pioneer etc, which isn't surprising but there doesn't seem to be much complaints with audio quality in general. Sometimes it may not automatically connect to your phone bluetooth/wifi. Though I have that same issue with my GROM. They are a bit quirky, things like if you sync you contacts (on android) it will delete all your contact from google. Work around is don't sync contacts. But for the most part they seem pretty good.

For what you get in the package for the price is pretty attractive. GPS, backup cam(not included but just plug one in), Steering wheel controls, radio, wifi, BT streaming/handsfree, usb of course, the screen. They run a current, fast processor, a current version of android with a good chance of actually getting an update for it to newer android versions (they have sent out update for their older models)

Started looking a few weeks ago but then the black friday sale popped up, 25% off makes these pretty dirt cheap. $229.99 for the the 7in

Lastly, I'm not 100% how I would personally wire it into the OEM speakers. I would prefer to wire it to the OEM AUX input, therefore I still have full use of my OEM stereo if I want to go back to it at any time. But I don't see an easy way to do that. Maybe just combine the pre-outs? Of course you could just wire it directly to the speakers. Though not sure how that would work with the HK amp.

TL;DR

Cheap but current/fast android head unit (which is currently on sale) that looks to be able to be installed without removal of OEM stereo with the screen mounted in the cubby/JDM nav bezel as all the nexus 7 installs have done previously.

And a picture because everyone loves pictures

jy-uos01p44_1.jpg

this one. - https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-10-1-inch-double-din-head-unit.html

extremely limited BT functionality and generally buggy.

Thanks whitetiger. Well I'm glad I heard some first hand experience. Sadly not what I wanted to hear but not surprised. I would have expected it to be a bit buggy and have quirks as there are a bunch of mods and tweaks.

Seems like the biggest let down of these is the bluetooth which is sadly a big negative. If these people could just get their sh*t together and iron out some bugs and put in some good bluetooth they would be great.

Thankfully it looks like google is at least now headed in the right direction with android running natively in cars now coming to reality (in the future), which means google implementing android to have control and support for hardware (bluetooth, camera, HVAC etc). Close to coming with "full" android. Much better then android auto. I think this is technically "android automotive"

Android HAL is interesting

https://source.android.com/devices/automotive

the problem is that all of these full android head units come out of china and are super cheap. they don't do a good job of integrating the car-centric audio system and apps to the general android OS. there is a whole bunch of different hacks for the various models coming from china on XDA-forums, but nothing works like having an android tablet. on top of that, the BT module is generally not directly accessible from the android kernel. Its a mess.

I mean the display and the processors are so cheap now it really shouldn't cost much to make.

But yeah that seems to be the issue is they are hacking/tacking on hardware that really isn't supported by android. It would probably work a least a bit better if they put a bit more effort into but they clearly don't care.

My issue with the tablet is it kind of the same problem as the Chinese units. The only way to add functionality it to tack it on. While it's not too bad with adding backup cam and steering controls it's still not really properly/full integrated.

The biggest issue is bluetooth Handsfree calling. I'm not happy with my GROM, had a parrot which I should have likely kept as the call quality was better but the integration was a lot lower so wasn't a fan of it either.

I don't want to be switching inputs to answer/make calls. I don't want 2 separate devices I have to talk to (tablet asking to nav, phone asking it to make a call).

Only way I know for that to work is there is a, some what, open source version of Android auto running on a rassbery pi. There are 2 active projects. 1 crankshaft based off of the second being openauto. Unfortunately the crankshaft project might start having some difficulties due to being based off of openauto which recently started to close off parts off the code and charging people for it. Very recently (like a day or to ago) he got the pi to recive and route audio through it. Which technicality has nothing to do with android as the pi is just running Linux. But you can now have your phone connected and make and receive calls as well as all other android auto things. And he has started to make it functional without being connect to your phone. Which is good or bad as it's taking the project down another path.

Either way I'm not a fan of Android auto. So the fact that Google is working on making Android work in a car and talk to various hardware (bluetooth, steering wheel HVAC) is really good news as that will finally allow android to finally talk to hardware without hacks.

I guess now it's a bit of a waiting game. We'll have to see what after products we'll get once that software starts being put on hardware to sell. Which I have to assume is already in development.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Archived