LegacyGT.com

Need to replace my K&N filter with something else!?

Need to replace my K&N filter with something else!?

I've had this K&N filter for a long while , it needs to be cleaned .

I have the cleaning kit, but don't like the idea of re-oiling and screwing up my MAF sensor !

I posted basically the same question on the Ultimate Subaru Forum and it turned into a giant discussion !

So...just what filter to replace it with ? Other than your standard under $10.00 paper filter .

There is the AEM one for $41.00.

Another on Amazon by Auto Dynasty for about $14.00 looks like a K&N clone .

And WAY TOO many more !!!

OEM is best.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yes I only ever use the OEM one and when its dirty just chuck it in the bin and fit another one.

Cleaning filters is a nightmare and I have only done it on the likes of foam filters for the Kart or model car that just have carbs.

There are no power gains to be had from aftermarket filters.

Yes I only ever use the OEM one and when its dirty just chuck it in the bin and fit another one.

Cleaning filters is a nightmare and I have only done it on the likes of foam filters for the Kart or model car that just have carbs.

There are no power gains to be had from aftermarket filters.

Eh, I’d say false. EngineeringExplained on YouTube just posted a video that the K&N filter does actually increase HP and torque on his manual Crosstrek using tests between the K&N, OEM, dirty OEM, and cheap aftermarket paper filters.

Of course there will be differences between cars but the bottom line is that more air flow will always allow more dirt, that is almost indisputable. Why do you think these filters need to be oiled? Because otherwise they wouldn’t trap much of anything to keep out of the engine.

I’d stick with OEM or any reputable aftermarket paper filter like Wix or Purolator will be adequate enough. Differences are truly minimal and unnoticed. Much like the oil filter/oil type debate, just keep it clean and you won’t have any problems. And if you really want more HP, get a different intake system when your power level and tune requires it.

My wagon got a Perrin panel filter about 5 weeks I bought the car back in later June 2004. A few years back I replaced it with a K&N. I have never had a MAF sensor issue. I wash and lightly oil the one side of the filter once or twice a year and use MAF cleaner at the same time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I make a point to clean my MAF sensor shortly after servicing my K&N filter, which I do about once a year. Clean my MAF sensor maybe 3 times year. Hasn't been an issue, +3 years. Just make sure it's totally dry before you lightly re-oil.

Archived