LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy AWD

I have a 2010 Legacy. I was getting a state vehicle inspection today and noticed something that seemed wrong. The inspector had the wheels off of the ground on a lift checking for play in the wheel bearings. I noticed when he spun 1 front wheel the opposite front well spun in the opposite direction as I expected. When he spun the back wheels, the opposite back wheel did not spin at all. Is this normal for the Subaru AWD system?

If you have a CVT automatic, I believe it is- according to the service manual, the transmission uses hydraulic pressure to engage the transfer clutch (connects the output shaft of the transmission to the driveshaft powering the rear wheels), and it's supposed to be open in park, neutral, or when the throttle plate is fully closed. The test procedure says to have the car on the ground when testing clutch pressure, which would lead me to believe that the pump is engine-driven (rather than ground driven), so it'd make sense that you wouldn't have pressure with the car not running. With the transfer clutch open, you could spin one wheel, and the other one could stay still while the driveshaft spins freely.

On the other hand, if you have a manual transmission, that's not so good.

Yes, sorry, it is a CVT. I believe the car was in neutral with the engine running.

If you have a CVT automatic, I believe it is- according to the service manual, the transmission uses hydraulic pressure to engage the transfer clutch (connects the output shaft of the transmission to the driveshaft powering the rear wheels), and it's supposed to be open in park, neutral, or when the throttle plate is fully closed. The test procedure says to have the car on the ground when testing clutch pressure, which would lead me to believe that the pump is engine-driven (rather than ground driven), so it'd make sense that you wouldn't have pressure with the car not running. With the transfer clutch open, you could spin one wheel, and the other one could stay still while the driveshaft spins freely.

On the other hand, if you have a manual transmission, that's not so good.

Yeah I saw that as well, which is strange. Subaru should slap torsen diffs front and back.
The Tribeca does extremely well with the torsen center diff, but I'm sure cost and consumer ignorance play a big part.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Archived