LegacyGT.com

2009 Traction control light Illuminated

Trac control light on all the time on dash. It just came on all of a sudden with no other lights on the dash. Fuses good. No mods done to the car bone stock. Tried the dash switch still light stays on. Cycled key no go. Disconnected battery for 2 day still light is on. No codes in the system. There are a shit ton of sensors this system relies on where to start? I have the Factory service manual asks for a specific scanner to scan system, cant afford it, the scanner that is, even if Subaru would sell me one. Anybody have a clue? Not much out there on this specific problem. Tires are all the same size. Air pressure all check good. Checked every fuse in dash and under hood all good to go. Is there another obscure relay some where on the car related to the system Im not seeing in the service manual? I checked the brake light switch that could be the problem, but that works. Do I go out and make a panic stop lock the wheels engage the ABS system to see if light goes out? I got no codes engine,ABS, and traction control. Just this stupid light.

Most local auto parts stores will read the code for free.

most likely you have a wheel speed sensor bad. easy to replace in most cases. I did a DIY for a rear one a few years back.

The Dealership told me which one was bad, for free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you didn't get a check engine light and have no codes stored, the FSM says to check the coolant temperature. Since you don't have a reader, does your coolant temperature gauge seem to work? Does the light remain on when the car is at operating temperature? The FSM makes it sound like it could be normal for it to come on, and stay on if the car is cold enough, but I've never experience that.

The fsm also says to check the resistance of the vdc off switch if everything is good with your coolant temps. I can post the numbers and such if needed. After that it mentions LAN diagnostics, and to check the gauge cluster.

If you didn't get a check engine light and have no codes stored, the FSM says to check the coolant temperature. Since you don't have a reader, does your coolant temperature gauge seem to work? Does the light remain on when the car is at operating temperature? The FSM makes it sound like it could be normal for it to come on, and stay on if the car is cold enough, but I've never experience that.

The fsm also says to check the resistance of the vdc off switch if everything is good with your coolant temps. I can post the numbers and such if needed. After that it mentions LAN diagnostics, and to check the gauge cluster.

I do have a code reader too. But it does not read the ABS TRAC CONTROL system. Only check engine. When I plug in the reader I get no engine codes. Coolant gauge works fine. I have not ohmed out switch yet, or checked the lan system, or the gauge cluster. Not sure how it could be the gauge cluster when it's telling me there's an issue with the system? This freaking car is a nightmare yesterday I started it up and and it's through a check engine light also the cruise control light started flashing wow so I got the code reader scanner out and found a p0028 code came up flooring the car the car would backfire. Clear the code car now runs fine everytime I turn around this car has issues fix one problem goes one to another.

My rant on this car...... I bought this car off of a local independent shop that "specializes" in Subaru's. Im am not the original owner of the car 3rd according to the car fax. After he sold it to me, I had to take it back to him 4 times for a oil leak 4th time was a charm he finally fixed it. Then the transmission started to leak. He balked about fixing that, but I told him fix the tranny, take the car back, or we go to court. So he fixed the tranny. After that several days later the Traction control light illuminated. Took it back and he told me to pound sand. So here I sit with a fucked up used car as so many other have done as well with cars in general. I owned previous Subaru's never had a issue. Its my problem now I have to fix it. I cant sell it as I have tried since the idiot light comes on. I would not buy it either with a light on in the dash. So there is my rant, buyer beware.

You'll figure it out. It can only be a couple of things. Start diagnosing by testing the wheel speed sensors and then look further. You might try resetting all of the computers by disconnecting the negative cable, pressing on the brake, and then reconnecting. It might be something that the computer is reading that could go away.

You'll figure it out. It can only be a couple of things. Start diagnosing by testing the wheel speed sensors and then look further. You might try resetting all of the computers by disconnecting the negative cable, pressing on the brake, and then reconnecting. It might be something that the computer is reading that could go away.

I give your idea a try see if that could be the cause.

I do have a code reader too. But it does not read the ABS TRAC CONTROL system. Only check engine. When I plug in the reader I get no engine codes.

I see. When I was looking into this last night on google, it seemed like this could be caused by things that were not at all related to the abs and traction control system. Coolant temperature is a great example of that. I would try to resolve any engine codes like the p0028, even if they don't seem related at all. Subaru's list in the factory service manual suggests the same.

vdc.jpg.17a24354469cde284415831299fd4441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Boy this car just keeps getting better the continuing Saga on my 09 Subaru Legacy. Now after a year of it sitting in my backyard I decided to get this 09 back on the road if nothing else just basically is going to get groceries as my F-150 is killing me in the gas department. Knowing it has traction control problem my wife did not want the car no longer she did not feel safe with the idiot lights on the dashboard not only does it have the traction control light coming on, it also has an airbag light and one of the wheel sensors is also illuminated. So after a year I decided it has a new motor we can't sell it for what it's worth due to all the lights that are on on the dash. So I put insurance on the car and drove it not far just to local grocery store Walmart you know typical shopping errands. The car now has developed a code p0028 the dreaded but famous oil switching valve as we all know that switching valve is on the front driver side of the engine. So I decided I will fix that problem first and foremost. Of course in order to get that valve out you have to pull the whole front of that motor off, and as I was starting to disassemble the front of the motor so I can get this valve out to see if the screen to the valve is clogged Maybe, lo and behold both the left and right camshaft timing marks are two teeth off. Also the timing belt tensioner hydraulic portion of it is also leaking Plus the pulley also has got a tiny bit of play in it. Now mind you this engine was just rebuilt by a local Subaru that's all he does mechanic. Stay tuned as I go ahead and fixed this monstrosity of a car that was just rebuilt buy an incompetent Subaru mechanic. I will post pics as I go along hopefully since this is a zero clearance motor the Pistons have not slap the valves. I'm crossing my fingers.l.

It wouldn't run 2 teeth off. Are you sure you're looking at it correctly?

It sure did I got the pics to prove it. Unfortunately I cant upload them here. You would have thought it would not run, but it did. :confused: Also it should have thrown codes too, but once again it did not. when I put it back together according to the book, I'll make sure I crank the motor over manually before I go ahead and fire it over. There was a reason I took pics before I tore into this thing.

Why cant I post pics? I tried drag and drop posting attachments wont work either?

1. Click on the "Go Advanced" button.

2. A bit down on the next page there's a "Manage Attachments" button that you shall click.

3. A new window shall show up (disable pop-up blocker if it don't)

4. Click "Browse..." and select your image file. (Type and size of file are some restrictions listed a bit down.)

5. Click "Upload" and see if the file uploads. A successful upload shall be indicated in the "Current Attachments" on the "Manage Attachments" page. If not, see restrictions.

6. Click "Close this window".

7. In the window with the "Manage Attachments" button, type some text otherwise the forum denies you to submit.

8. Click "Submit Reply".

I hope that I didn't miss some subtle detail, but it should get you on track.

Edit: You figured it out though, but whatever.

453747.png