LegacyGT.com

noob to soob's.... could use your help with bad engine!

On a 2.5i with the motor swap, I would do valve cover gaskets, head gaskets (Many start to leak around 100k), timing belt, pulley, tensioner and water pump. IMO stick with OEM for the timing belt components. Probably a good idea to change the plugs if they are due (every 30k miles) I think ARP heads stud are overkill for a 2.5i. Same goes for the Killer B pickup, upgrading the oil pump.

I think ARP heads stud are overkill for a 2.5i. Same goes for the Killer B pickup, upgrading the oil pump.

I'm going for a "poor man's WRX" theme here. :D

I see you're new here, but my car is well known by us older members. I keep a note book with everything done to the car.

Impressive! It's amazing how much longer peoples' cars would stay on the road if they would only take a few minutes each week to punch things into a website (i.e., myCARFAX) or run their receipts on a scanner.

I hope I didn't come off as as insidious; I have merely heard recommendations to stay away from non-OEM coolant for fear of head gasket problems. If newer head gaskets (i.e., MLS) are addressing the issue, then that's a win for all of us who get ramrodded into buying "All Makes / All Models" coolant at gas stations. :thumbsup:

I do have ARP head studs in the wagon and great tunes in both cars.

Also, over the years on here, I have not heard of many GT's with HG problems, compared to 2.5i's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going for a "poor man's WRX" theme here. :D

It is your car & you can do what you want ;)

My response was directed towards the original poster daughter car with a 150K miles and likely a 4EAT. He probably just wants something reliable for her. I was just trying to steer him towards where I would spend my money on a daily.

Just one note, and this may or may not be controversial: I had my regular (non-subaru) mechanic do a compression test, and he got around 75-80 psi for each cylinder. Which is way low, even for the lowered-compression EJ255. He said he did it twice. Car was running fine, I was just curious if there were any issues to be aware of, as I had been thinking of trying HPDEs. Everyone agreed there's no way the car could be running normally with 75 psi.

Took it to a subaru shop, who told me he doesn't do compression tests anymore, they're not that useful on Subarus, and did a leakdown test instead, with 5/7/5/7 % loss (resonable numbers for age/mileage). YMMV. YCTMAV (Your Compression Test May Also Vary :-)

Yep, the important thing about the compression test is that all numbers are within a %. doesn't really matter what the numbers are...within reason.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived