LegacyGT.com

Turbo oil feed upgrade kit

There was some heated back and forth on this subject a while back. Brian wants the feed to come from a sandwich plate off the filter. Specifically not the AVCS line as others have done...

Me included, from a kit Mike was offering from Infamous Performance (RIP). After using the V1 10 micron kit, I jumped over to the 40 micron as he was provided with the V2 kits and kept rolling.

Had to mill out a new bracket to mount it. Have not had an issue yet.

Look up XRP for part number 704404FS40 for the filter. It's AN -4 fittings and then the rest is up to what Brian will warranty.

My G16 still seems just fine with this setup tapped off of a double banjo bolt and the AVCS feed line. Clean it out every so often and have not seem much gunk come off of it each time I do clean it out.

Edit: Brian is just calling out starvation as a root cause to not warranty a turbo.

Why won't you use the stock feed line? It's plenty large enough to feed the turbo and comes directly from the head. Putting a filter inline is also unnecessary. It's a great way to have a restriction in oil flow and cause the turbo to starve for oil.

Standard oil feed line, standard oil feed line banjo bolt, Subaru banjo bolt filters all removed, live life happy.

^This. Unless there are catastrophic issues and you change oil at proper intervals you should not have any issues. Main thing is to avoid the starvation attributed to the stock banjo bolt filter getting plugged due to improper OCI.

Matter of fact in the long run I may pull my kit and go back to stock as well.

Have to agree, the stock oil feed with banjo filter removed works great. My vf52 has over 120,000 miles that way. Zero shaft play when I had the dp off last month.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for looking that up. The other dynamic in this is flow and addressed in this thread. I used the banjo bolt Brian sent with the Turbo... It has a much larger orifice than the stock VF40. But nothing states you cant use that new banjo bolt with the stock oil line.

Now that were talking about it I may just pull the oil feed filter line and go back to stock. Next time I'm in there... Just need to find the parts in the horde. One hard line and one AVCS banjo bolt... Less clutter and maintenance.

There are a number of places to fit fittings and steel braid line to make up your own oil feed lines.

I made just about all the oil and fuels lines on the race car back in the day.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=earlshighperformancefittings&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE11SR

Here's a site we used to get a lot of items from, back about 2007 our car was in their catalog.

https://behrents.com/

https://behrents.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=&search_keyword=&opts=&faceted_search_terms=Department~F6186A658EF94847B224145A3ECC32F4%7CCategories~C7C1A64C4BB84A21B8DF4903155ECC8B~322EEF194924433897591D8F02461647

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I wouldn't reuse the stock line simply because they tend to crack and leak (especially if you have over 100k on them). Also stock lines have a restrictor built into the banjo bolt on the head side, which could starve a bigger turbo.

I've been running this -4an SS line setup with my 16G for almost 25k miles:

attachment.php?attachmentid=259936&stc=1&d=1514334850

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I wouldn't reuse the stock line simply because they tend to crack and leak (especially if you have over 100k on them). Also stock lines have a restrictor built into the banjo bolt on the head side, which could starve a bigger turbo.

I've been running this -4an SS line setup with my 16G for almost 25k miles:

attachment.php?attachmentid=259936&stc=1&d=1514334850

Not to be that guy but I still run the stock oil feed pipe 263,000 miles.

Max Capacity my stock feedline cracked so it is a possibility. There is no right or wrong answer regarding the feedline. That is to say ultimately it boils down to preference and budget. Budget ultimately seems to be the voice of "reason" when it comes to our hobby/cars.

I know anything is possible I just don't see how the stock pipe could crack. I know mine will not come apart at the joint, it is so rusted. This photo was taken May 2012.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.9077a5350ed30a0c22e66901ebd1a346.JPG

I know anything is possible I just don't see how the stock pipe could crack. I know mine will not come apart at the joint, it is so rusted. This photo was taken May 2012.

It is my understanding that some of the oil feed lines did not have the stiffening bracket on them between the banjo bolt and the flare fitting. That could easily cause a crack at some point with the mass of that fitting hanging out there unsupported. I've seen it many times while doing vibration testing on engine components.

That said, I see no reason to go away from the stock line, provided it has the bracket on it and the line is in good shape. Why reinvent the wheel? The line, or a suitable replacement needs to be left in place anyway to feed oil to the AVCS solenoid.

Thanks covert & boomer for the options. Comments anyone on the IAG kit?
Looks like a clean option to replace both hard lines from the head. However you may want to put some thermal insulation over them. Not only for thermal protection but rub protection. Funny they are selling filtered banjo bolts as an option.

Archived