LegacyGT.com

Rear brakes wear with big front rotors

So my 3.6R wore my rear pads out which I replaced last year. I recently checked the front pads and they have maybe another year to go. The car has 60k on it so I have time.

There are a few, and just a few that the rear wear out first, so is this normal for those with the 6cyl or the GT?

I'd think that the rears wearing a little faster is sorta normal with these cars, since they pulse individual rear brakes for traction control rather than having a limited-slip diff. Assuming you've done a bit of snow driving given your location, that may not be too much of a reach.

I probably still had half of the pads left when I changed my brakes at around 80k miles, although the majority of that is highway mileage, and I engine brake quite a bit. Engine braking will definitely extend the life of the brakes (since you're not using them), but that's not really an option with the 3.6R, so using us GT folk for comparison may not work well.

I bought NAPA coated rotors and I believe ceramic pads. It was a kit. The front are the factory ones.

I was checking the front at tire rotation and ended up wearing the back down to metal.

I have a 2wd pickup with E LSD and the pads don't wear faster than the fronts. And that truck gets a lot of E LSD use. The car not so much.

My 2.5i rear pads wore out faster than the fronts. The rear last 75k miles, I changed the front at 80k miles when I sold it, but I think they would have last until 85-90k miles.

The rear brakes are also use the traction control, some owners who engage the traction control often have notably higher rear brake wear.

My question was in regards to the pads that came with the car. So the same as what all of you got.

The car gets mostly city driving. On main streets. So not getting a lot of miles on it before the brakes get used. And I don't think the traction control gets used often.

She ( main driver) drives conservatively and the car has excellent tires with not many miles on them.

I would suggest when you do tire rotation or put winter tires on to check rear pad wear.

I was thinking that the bigger rotors were the reason. The 2.5 I had got totaled before its pads wore out.

I'd think that the rears wearing a little faster is sorta normal with these cars, since they pulse individual rear brakes for traction control rather than having a limited-slip diff. Assuming you've done a bit of snow driving given your location, that may not be too much of a reach.

Very interesting. When I swapped to my winter wheels/tires this year, I noticed that my rear rotors were much more worn than my front. Hadn't had a change to look up the potential causes....

Archived