LegacyGT.com

Swapping leather seats into ‘16 Premium

I just bought a ‘16 Legacy Premium and would love to drop some leather seats in. I found a full set at a local junkyard for $400 and only have one issue I think.

My passenger seat is not a power seat currently. Does anyone know if the harness is already there [emoji1696]. If not, is it as simple as pulling power to it? I assume there is already some sort of harness already for the airbags.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why they would omit the connector..

There are substantial differences in wiring harnesses from one trim level to the next. Why incur the expense, additional complexity, and incremental weight of such wiring in Base and Premium trims if power passenger seats are never going to be offered in those trims? I'm confident that Subaru's designers and engineers have actually thought about this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

After a quick poke-through the manual I believe your install should be pretty straight forward.

Under the seat should be both the R44 and R334 connectors.

R44 is plugged-into the seat harness for 'heated-only' seats.

R334 is plugged into 'heated and powered' seats.

Manufacturers generally prefer to produce one harness that has all of the options available. That's why up-selling trim levels is such a money maker.

(I say generally as I'm sure there are exceptions)

Hope the attached helps.

RH Seat Power.pdf

I disagree. I think it will be either R44 (Premium trim) or R334 (Limited trim), but not both. That said, I'm not about to pull the passenger seat out of my Legacy just to prove or disprove the point.

Edit: I finally checked, and the part numbers for the Right Rear wiring harnesses (which comprise the seat wiring) are different between Premium and Limited trims ... i.e. the harnesses themselves are different.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

After a quick poke-through the manual I believe your install should be pretty straight forward.

R44 is plugged-into the seat harness for 'heated-only' seats.

R334 is plugged into 'heated and powered' seats.

Manufacturers generally prefer to produce one harness that has all of the options available. That's why up-selling trim levels is such a money maker.

(I say generally as I'm sure there are exceptions)

Hope the attached helps.

Thanks for the info! I’ll let you guys know how I make out.

Pulled the seat today, unfortunately there is no R334 connection under there.

I went ahead and bought the seats from the junkyard anyway. They are going to give me as much of the harness that they can. I am hoping there is just an extra 12v wire in there, but worst case scenario I’ll just strip the leather and reuse the premium seat for the passenger.

ammcinnis... Touche sir. You are correct.

beardman... Sorry to have steered you the wrong way.

Glad to see you have a plan "B".

Funny how there doesn't seem to be consistency with what connectors are left on/available. For example, Connector R66 for High-mounted stop light (with rear spoiler) is there and unused in mine.

ammcinnis... Touche sir. You are correct.

beardman... Sorry to have steered you the wrong way.

Glad to see you have a plan "B".

Funny how there doesn't seem to be consistency with what connectors are left on/available. For example, Connector R66 for High-mounted stop light (with rear spoiler) is there and unused in mine.

No worries, maybe leftover parts here and there.

On that note, does anyone know if the blind spot harness is in place behind the rear bumper? I’m guessing not since there is no connector by the switch location.

Archived