LegacyGT.com

Subaru you killing me!

Today I had a professional shop remove a scratch, guess what?

Subaru put metallic shine in the clear coat!!!

Should be on the paint but they put the metallic thing on the actual coat.

The person that was complaining about their paint loookig like crap needs to know this!

Icewolf I have the same exact issue as well, from your other posts, it seems like every problem you have I have as well.

I bought a 2018 thinking that it would be a better version of my 2015 as they were both sixth gen, and 2015 was a solid car, but the more I own this vehicle, the less I feel that way...

I don’t hate Subaru just a pain to deal with certain things with this brand.

Subaru is a great car but some of the stuff annoys me.

How they cheap out on certain things and with my OCD it gets annoying, I can deal with certain amount of mediocrity but there is a whole list of things that Subaru has done over the 10 years that I’ve owned two.

Car rattle and creeks, I’ve driven other cars and a cheap Toyota or Honda is much quieter than my top of the line Subaru.

They haven’t put enough insulation’s between parts to fix rattles.

Seat will be adjusted next month because the damn thing creeks, there is a thread about it...

Clear coat is total garbage, if you want to cut through the coat to fix scratches you will have issues with oranage peel and the metallic finish since someone at Subaru decided to put the metal shine on the coat instead of the paint.

Engine compartment wire rattle that kept hitting the back plastic had to be fixed.

Moon roof doesn’t have enough insulation to stop rattles.

Trim pieces in the car do not have insulation...they rattle bad.

The under plastic for the glove compartment is lose, had to have the dealer put insulation and glue it back together.

The glove compartment light is such a joke, even at night you can’t see it.

These are minor complaints but when I spend 35k on a car I expect better quality. A Mazda6 which is cheaper than this care rides smoother and quieter.

I don’t expect the car to ride like a bmw or an Audi but I expect it to be as good as Honda or Toyota. Hell even Hyundai makes better and quieter cars than Subaru.

I don’t know if my next car will be a Subaru. Maybe I will have to look at alternative brands.

One thing I will give Subaru as a Canadian is that I have never driven an AWD system that's as grippy as this. Maybe not as sporty as Acura or Audi's torque vectoring AWDs, but it is definitely grippy and makes a winter driving experience that I didn't even feel on luxury cars. This is why Subarus sell so well in Canada.

Subaru put metallic shine in the clear coat!!!

Should be on the paint but they put the metallic thing on the actual coat.

Sorry for your experience, but that is really good information to know. That's probably why, in my opinion, the metallic flake looks much better on Subaru than other brands as it is closer to the surface and reflects the light more brilliantly.

For the vast majority of owns who don't detail their cars over the life of the car outside of a car wash a few times a year, putting the metallic in the clear coat was a clever idea as it probably looks better over the life of the car. Unfortunately for the few meticulous detailers, this means less room for paint correction.

Subaru isn't the only car company to do this. Mazda has been doing it since the early 2000s, and the German car companies do all sorts of funny stuff in the clear coat. I am sure there are others as well. Good luck avoiding it.

As for the rattles and creaks, I also think this is pretty common. My friends' 2016 RAV4 sounds like it is going to fall apart. Hell, even new BMW 3 series I've ridden in rattle like a 20-year-old Kia over less than perfect roads.

My Legacy is quieter than most new cars on the road, and, aside from the seat creak, which is a known problem, I have no other rattles or squeaks. I expect that will change with time, like any other car.

That picture to me looks like the detailer burned the clearcoat while trying to get the scratch out. I just looked at the PPG paint software and there is not metal flakes in the clear coat for this model. The only ones I have ever seen with flakes in the clear coat are the candy red where the paint is a three stage paint and a layer of clear coat with the flakes gets added before the final clear coat stage. There is a reason why it is called clear coat. It is nothing but clear.

How do I now that looks like burned clear from a too aggressive buffing job? Because I did it many times when I was learning to cut clear in order to remove scratches.

I would get a second opinion before you blame Subaru paint.

Also why is paint crappy in new cars? Because of them having to go to water based products.

---

So not much can be done I take about this issue other than a repaint?

One is telling me they burned, another person is telling me that the clear coat metallic shine is in the clear coat so if you cut it it will ruin it easily, I honestly don’t know what to say.

I’ll take it to another shop and look at it.

I don’t know if this helps or not. My 2016 Liberty 3.6R is Crystal White Pearl & a while ago I wanted to touch up some scrape marks underneath the front lip.

I could have ordered the complete 4 pack aerosol spray can package custom mixed from a paint supplier which included the following:

(1). The primer (applies over bare metal or plastic).

(2). The base colour (this was white to give it the required colour).

(3). The pearl (this looked like clear with the pearl through the clear to give it the pearl look).

(4). The clear (clear coat that goes over the top for protection).

I assumed this was the sequence used to spray the cars at the factory (Japan in my case).

Your car appears to be a metallic grey, so I would expect the metallic would be in the above item 3 (instead of the pearl), with the clear coat over the top. But I may be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I took it to two shops and both told me they burned through the clear coat.

I don’t think there is much I can do correct? Other than repaint which is not worth.

I was hoping I could add clear coat on top but I doubt it’s gonna do anything.

Hey IcEWoLF I just came across your post from 11-13 about the rattles and creaks. Were you able to get most of them fixed? I’m pretty aware of sounds when I drive too and my 15 legacy about has me to the point of getting rid of it because the rattles and noises are so obnoxious now. I’m not even at 30k miles yet (100% city driving) and the car is starting to feel cheap, for lack of a better word. Everything rattles. I had an accord prior to this and it felt way more well made (even at 100k miles). Not to mention the shift lock solenoid in the shifter is so loud every time I stop I can hear it over a LOUD radio. Tried to get dealer to replace it multiple times but they wouldn’t. Said it’s normal. Need some help if you have some advice. Thanks in advance.

I took it to two shops and both told me they burned through the clear coat.

I don’t think there is much I can do correct? Other than repaint which is not worth.

I was hoping I could add clear coat on top but I doubt it’s gonna do anything.

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi

I've used their paint and clearcoat before and thought their products are very good. I got the crystal black silica and the color as well as flake content matched the original paint virtually perfectly. I have put the clear coat on an old Corolla and it has held up extremely well considering all I did was wipe down the paint with isopropanol (which removed a bit of the of the exposed paint lol) and applied the clear coat over top of it with a "nail polish like" application over quite a large section of the car where the clearcoat was chipping off due to old age. It's held up for over 2 years now with no signs of wanting to chip away yet.

On my car I primarily just use the black touch up paint to fix rock chips that go through to the primer/base metal. It adds a little protection and as long as you aren't inspecting the paint, the touch up really isn't visible.

My guess since you had a small (in my opinion) scratch like that professionally (but poorly :( ) removed, the DIY touch up paint and clear coat won't be something you'd be interested in trying - but I thought I'd put it out there just in case!

Archived