LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light (2015 Legacy)

Issues with the Check Engine Light are supposed to be something that happens to a ten- or fifteen-year-old car. But my four year old, 18,000-mile 2015 Legacy showed this light a couple weeks ago. It also disables the cruise control and maybe other stuff as well. Wisdom of the internet said to disconnect the battery. I did so; the light went off; it came on again a week later. Took it my local mechanic. He found rodent nests and chewed wires beneath the engine, cleaned up the mess, and installed a wiring harness from Subaru.

The light came on again a few days later. He "pulled the code" a second time, found nothing, suggested that if the light came back I should visit the Subie store. Well, it came back two days later.

Has anyone else experienced this on a comparatively new and really low mileage Legacy? I'd like to do some research before going that rather long distance to the dealership.

And on the internet I find that the warning light is sometimes associated with the car's going into "limp" mode. I'd never heard of such a thing. What does it mean, and what does it entail?

Thanks - Dan

Has anyone else experienced this on a comparatively new and really low mileage Legacy?

What does mileage and the fact it's new have anything to do with it. Rodents ate through the wiring. Could of happened the first week you got it.

Limp mode is typically an ECU programmed fail safe. So you can get to the dealer vs a tow truck

And on the internet I find that the warning light is sometimes associated with the car's going into "limp" mode.

Limp Mode does not cause a check-engine light, it's the other way around. Limp Mode is a pre-programmed response to a major malfunction that sets the CEL. Limp Mode is intended to allow you to safely drive your vehicle, with reduced performance and functionality, to the nearest service facility.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Since traveling to a dealer should be far the best thing you can do is go to a local auto parts store to buy an inexpensive scanner to get the exact codes. Maybe order one from Amazon too.

I’m sure people on here will be able to help lead you in the right direction from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MrCobbs

@Oldpilot .............. Take it to the dealership. You already know the cause now the fun begins locating all the damage. Trying to find fault with the vehicle is ludacris, it is not the Legacy or Subaru but " rats" which are located somewhere you keep the vehicle. You need to find their nest and exterminate them otherwise you will be in a perpetual cycle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆