LegacyGT.com

Bought a Camaro

So, our Mustang didn't last long... LOL

Nothing wrong with it, it was a very impressive car, especially for the price. We finally tracked it last month, and even on all-season Michelins it did really well.

45459618921_fc8b1ddec6_c.jpg

I started working up lists of the mods that were going to be necessary for our plans of tracking the car a few times a year: some suspension mods, maybe seats, set of wheels and track tires, etc...

And then, along comes a huge wrench, thrown directly in the works...

30735590617_1d4fa83af8_c.jpg

Local dealer gets a used ZL1 Camaro on the lot... 2018, 2700 miles. I like it when other people buy cars I like and then immediately trade them in. I like it a LOT. Same way we got our Mustang. It's always nice to let others take that big first depreciation hit!

So, long story short, I take the wife over for a test drive. She likes it. A LOT... and it's going to be her DD, after all. :D

Took some hard nosed haggling to get the deal where I wanted it, but it happened...

44959598184_2c80ece3a5_c.jpg

This thing is absolutely bonkers. For those that are not familiar with Camaro terminology, the ZL1 is the top of the food chain currently. 650hp superchared engine out of the Z06 'Vette with the handling chops to back it up. Randy Pobst got it around Willow Springs faster than a GT3 Porsche and a McLeran 570S.

This particular car has the A10 trans, and every option except a sunroof, which I wouldn't want anyway. It even has a built in video camera that can overly data from the ecu for trackdays.

I had an 11 second Mustang in the early 90's, so fast cars aren't really anything new to me, but the sophistication of cars today is just incredible. This Camaro is totally civilized driving down the road. It's quieter and rides better than the Mustang did, and yet it can rip off a low 11 second quarter (there are vids on YT of these going 10s, stock at some of the east coast miracle tracks). It handles way better than any car this heavy and powerful has a right to.

Yesterday I took a friend for a ride down our local mountain road and we both laughed out loud at what this thing is capable of... he owns a GT3, BTW.

Can't wait to get it to the track... :cool:

I'll post up some more pics when I have time to take a few.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where I'd put it given my history. Into a wall or tree somewhere.

Rodan, where did you find this inexhaustible supply of money becz I want in.

And you must have the coolest wife. When I was married, my wife wouldn't even attend my kart races even though I went to every single one of her plays/musicals and my daughter's dance recitals. The thought of my wife driving at a track day? She would no doubt have the skill if she put her mind to it (she has great coordination), but she never would. :lol:

Rodan, where did you find this inexhaustible supply of money becz I want in.

Warning, serious answer coming... :p

Well, we're DINKs for starters (dual income and no kids). Even so, we're fortunate to be where we are in life, though we've both worked hard to get here. I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to a lot of things, but I'm willing to spend money on the things that make us happy. This car is really more than I would like to have spent, and not something we would have bought new, but the opportunity to buy it basically new at a $10k discount put it just barely in the budget. It will impact our discretionary spending in other areas, slowing down the progress on the Miata, and will eliminate a couple of trackdays, as our /trackday cost will increase, but I'll live with it... ;)

Another factor that's important to us is the enjoyment of life. We're closing in on retirement, both in careers where we see people dealing with misery and tragedy on a regular basis. Also, most of my circle of friends are older than I am and I'm watching them giving up what makes them happy as they suffer the infirmities of age and poor health. When I reach that point, I want to be content in having done all the things I wanted to that were realistically in my grasp. I don't want to be the guy that says, "I had a chance to do that once... I wish I had." That kind of thing makes me really sad to see.

As a result, I'm not going to retire in a 5000sqft house with a couple mill in the bank, traveling the world. We'll be plenty comfortable, though. And I'll be content with having really enjoyed life while young(er) and healthy.

And you must have the coolest wife.

That I do. She even shoots competition with me. Although she has no interest in things like cars & coffee or car shows... nobody's perfect. ;)

Seriously, I'm a very fortunate guy, and we are very blessed to be able to enjoy this stuff together. :cool:

41868847440_70b00506a0_c.jpg

I recently bought a FV from a friend but had to give it back after I couldn't pass a physical to race it due to AFib. Made me very sad, so I might go back to kart racing since no physical is required.

As for having a kid, I wouldn't change that for the world, but we all make our own choices. My choice is currently draining me by forcing me to save for the little wench's college education. This is worthwhile to me since I want to unleash a grown woman onto the world that will question everything put before her. She's already halfway there having inherited my cynicism. I have helped to release the intellectual Kraken!

As I've said before when commenting on your motorcycle painting skills, your cheapness has obviously transformed you into the skillz master.

most awesome... beautiful couple, and all the best to both of you and your plans.

Cheers!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

So, it's not all unicorns and rainbows in ZL1 land...

This thing comes with Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires. Gumball, 220TW summer only tires. Good news is they're awesome... when it's warm. They can actually be damaged by driving in freezing temps. We live in the AZ mountains, and though winter daytime temps often make it into the 60s, in the mornings it can be in the 20s.

Easy, peasy... save the the stock tires for the track, and buy a set of wheels for all-season tires, right? No one makes an all season in the rear 305/30-20 size.

I talked to Tire Rack about other options, and it looks like I can get away with Conti ECS... great tire, have them on one of the Miatas. Rear size on backorder... ETA unknown... :mad:

Michelin P4S are available, but more prone to cracking in cold weather, which is the same risk as the stock Goodyears.

My options are drop down 10mm in section width from stock and get ECS, park the car 'till spring or stock size ECS become available, or buy Nitto NT555R in stock sizes. I'm not at all excited about Nittos, but they are cheaper...

Grrr....

First world problems, huh? :p:lol:

Tire Rack is awesome. I've bought every set of tires from them via mail or in person in South Bend since 1982. I met the owner a few times. Once I came in with my Volvo 850 Turbo wagon. The had some Volvos as test vehicles and he sold me my OZ Superleggeras from their soon to be retired cars for $300 instead of the as new price of $1250.

And he was a small man, utterly unpretentious. After he sold me the wheels, another employee told me who he was. I just thought he was another salesman.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

We drove by Tire Rack on our trip in September. I like them a lot and have ordered from them often, but usually get my tires from Discount. Between being local, price matching, and the multiple rebates/ zero interest financing they've always been a better deal. Over the last couple of years, TR has managed to wrangle 'exclusive' deals on a lot of performance tires, such that Discount can't even source them. One set of Dunlop tires, Discount actually bought them from TR to sell to me, but they won't do that anymore. I bought my Rivals from TR.

Either way, both are good places to deal with.

That and TR has an a great test track, excellent for autoX. But what I love about them now is the opening and ending events for One Lap Around America. Such awesome cars. My favorite so far was a 40s Dodge coupe with Corvette C4 innards, motor and suspension and much else, driven by a guy and his wife in their 70s. They switched off events. Second fav was a Dodge wagon (can't remember the model) in the 2000s. Not modified except for dog comfort. Another old couple with two mastiffs in the back of the car. They just enjoyed the ride if not the competition.

When I traded in my corvette the dealer salesman was so excited that is had brand new tires on it. He said to me tires for corvettes cost 1500 dollars and that's why he was excited they were new. I left out the part where I paid less than 600 dollars for them off tire rack and they are not oem or run-flats.... and corvettes don't have a spare tire.

Congrats on the Camaro. Those supercharged 6.2 liters are something else. I have been in a few, most recently a very heavily modded CTS-V. Not just the power but that trq is insane.

Edited by 05GT Guru

One of the first things we did with our C6 was ditch the run flats. Huge improvement. I'd rather carry a plug kit and compressor than deal with run flats.

And yes, the torque is just silly. What amazes me, though, is how good the suspension works for a car this size/weight. Same with the Gen 3 CTS-Vs. I've been on track with them and they are just blazing fast.

Looking forward to getting this beast on the track. There's a track day mid-December, but I don't know if I can get it all together in time to run the Camaro.

Yes, all ZL1s do.

Except 1LEs, which have spool valve dampers, solid mounted to the chassis. Great for track, not so great for the street.

Edited by rodan

I loved watching Randy throw the Z28 around and then the ZL1 1 LE.

Whatbthe heck would you mod on that car, or have you finally bought something that will stay at factory spec?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Whatbthe heck would you mod on that car, or have you finally bought something that will stay at factory spec?

As I get older, I find myself less motivated to modify just for the sake of modification... it's all about improving performance for the specified purpose.

That was actually part of my calculus when making the decision to jump on this thing. I honestly can't think of anything I would change with the exception of brake pads or wheels/tires, and that would only be to swap in for a trackday. Even then, the stock tire is essentially a 'super 200' like many of the track tires out there, and from what I'm reading, the brakes do fine on track.

It really looks like the only 'mod' will be a 2nd set of wheels/tires for the street to save the good stuff for the track.

Well, more research turned up a new Bridgestone all-season in the stock rear 305/30-20 size. Of course, they don't make it in the front size... :mad:

They do make it in a 295, just 10mm wider than the stock 285, so this morning I ordered a set of the Bridgstones in 295/30-20 and 305/30-20 from Tire Rack. At the time of my order I got two of the last 4 295s in the country, and 2 of the last 6 of the 305s... I had my local Discount call around yesterday, and TR was the only place that had any. Good news is they were pretty reasonably priced (by comparison, LOL)... under $1k for four tires.

My plan is to put them on the stock wheels, and order a second set of wheels for the track, and mount up the stock Goodyears.

Yeah, Pilot Sport 4S in stock sizes was over $1500... :eek:

The stock 220TW Goodyear F1s are under $1200/set, and are probably equivalent to RE71s... maybe a bit less outright grip, but probably last longer.

And then there's Hoosier R7s, which are availble in stock sizes... :D $1900/set... :eek:

100s are cool. I used to work a british sports car parts place called Sports and Classics in CT. Saw wonderful cars but the best was a 3000 that the owner turned into a rumble seat for his 5 year old daughter. Such a gorgeous car and such a pretty little girl in the back. I don't know why but it turned me into a car enthusiast in the moment I saw that. And the little girl was such a winsome, vibrant girl. She loved riding in the wind of that car. Young and crazy. :lol: And didn't know any better!