LegacyGT.com

Swap '06 auto engine to '07 manual car

Hey all. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'm hoping you can shed some light on this. My daughter wrecked her '06 Legacy 2.5i auto. I have found an '07 Legacy 2.5i manual with no engine currently in it that I plan to swap her engine into (it only has 131k and has had the head gaskets and timing belt done, so I'd like to keep it). What do I need to do to make the engine compatible with the swap to the manual tranny '07?

thanks!

Mike

I'm not sure if there is a difference in the timing belt guides like the 2.5 in a GT has for a 5mt. the 2.5GT with a 5mt has guide plates the 5eat dose not have them on the top outside corners of the timing belt.

Other then that, you might want to check the engine harness, I'm not sure how the 5eat effects that.

once again, "m sprank" may be the one to answer this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can't remember if the 2006 has the AVLS if it does then everything should bolt up. For sure your going to need a flywheel clutch and pressure plate. Maybe a M/T starter I'm not 100% sure. The wiring harness should just work with the manual as long as your 2006 engine has AVLS. I know the manual 2.5i engine had a belt guide installed inside the timing cover for the crank gear so the belt won't jump timing if you left it in gear. That piece doesn't need to be installed to make it run but it just added insurance if you left it in gear.

• 2 weeks later...

If I may piggyback this thread, I found a 2005 EJ255 engine from an automatic to replace the engine our 2005 LGT 5MT manual. Aside from belt guides and possibly the starter, what else would be different?

Most of the threads I found dealt with transmission swaps - we're only changing an engine in our manual transmission LGT.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

If I may piggyback this thread, I found a 2005 EJ255 engine from an automatic to replace the engine our 2005 LGT 5MT manual. Aside from belt guides and possibly the starter, what else would be different?

Most of the threads I found dealt with transmission swaps - we're only changing an engine in our manual transmission LGT.

You found a good '05 EJ255? whaAAT? You musta done something nice for someone sometime.

Just swap over the belt guides from the old engine, and you're in business.

Nice wagon, BTW.

Archived