LegacyGT.com

Backing Plate/E Brake cable

Like many here, I had to replace a rear hub bearing. Due to the excessive rust, I ordered a backing plate, shoes, hardware kit, pads and rotor. All is going fine except that while installing the parking brake cable to the backing plate, the tiny spring steel retainer clip flew away, never to be found.

Trying to find out if this is a stand alone part or part of an assemble. I have a email into Benny at Subarupartsonline but being Sunday, I doubt that I'll hear back today.

Any tips on installing that thing?

Is it this part ?

26042B

CLAMP-HAND BRAKE CABLE

got that from here ,

https://parts.suburbansubaru.com/a/Subaru_2006_Legacy-GT-Limited-Sedan-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD/_54106_6028084/PARKING-BRAKE-SYSTEM/B13-260-01.html

A place like NAPA may have something like that.

Not sure what that holds, but would a small gas line clamp work ? To keep the cable from backing out ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max Cap,

It's actually 26042AA030

There is a slot in the backing plate that the spring enters ad fits around a groove in the parking brake cable so I don't think I can substitute anything else.

Thanks again for your quick reply!!!

Yes, that's the complete part number in the link I sent.

Would a zip tie work for the short term ? It's not like you use that brake while the car is in motion.

Check the local auto parts stores.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

It is a super tight fit hence the trouble getting it back in place. Also, it's in an awkward place to get to once the backing plate is mounted. I'll check the parts stores and if they don't have it, the dealers is 5 minutes from my house.

I have the new clip but I can't get it installed. With the clip in the notch of the backing plate, the cable won't pass through. With the cable in place, the clip won't pass through the slot. I have as much time in dealing with this $2 POS clip as I do in the whole tear down.

Anyone that's replaced the the backing plate or eBrake cable has dealt with this item. Need to get the car on the road...been 3 weeks!!

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

That was easy, I have it saved as a bookmark. It's also on hear in a couple places.

Hope it helps.

If not PM "m sprank" he would know.

Thanks, it does help for the entire assembly procedure but nothing specific as to the clamp. Still hoping someone will chime in as to how it's supposed to fit. I'll have time as no dealer in my area has one. What BS!! I'll be calling Benny at subaru parts online later

I should have thought to check out mine earlier today. I was under car a put the stock mufflers back on for the Winter time. I did look things over while I was under the car but never thought to check out the cable and clip.

Archived