LegacyGT.com

Fuel pulse dampers needed with top feed conversion?

At the recommendation of my tuner I’m installing the ID 1050x top feed conversion. Problem is there are no ports on the new rails for pulse dampers. Are they really necessary or is this an if having an issue add them situation?

Fuel system consists of AEM 50-1215 pump and oem regulator.

The stock ones are the smart/cheap way to do it. Alternatively Radium make a nice boost referenced inline one. Gets expensive once you factor in extra fittings since barbed fittings of the stock line size aren't one of the options listed. Since you're staying with the stock reg this seems like huge overkill really.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pulse-Damper-In-line-Kits-P751.aspx

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

The stock ones are the smart/cheap way to do it. Alternatively Radium make a nice boost referenced inline one. Gets expensive once you factor in extra fittings since barbed fittings of the stock line size aren't one of the options listed. Since you're staying with the stock reg this seems like huge overkill really.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pulse-Damper-In-line-Kits-P751.aspx

When you say staying with the stock regulator this seems like overkill, please explain. Is the oem fpr a restriction?

Thanks

Was just meaning spending big on a fancy pulse damper is overkill if not doing the reg. Stock one's can be used but can be out flown by large pumps requiring a retune. Mine ran super rich with that pump and the stock reg. Could have tuned around it but just went for a aftermarket reg to fix the issue that way instead.

Separate but related question - has anyone installed the Radium top feed conversion kit and used two of their direct fit dampers on the their fuel rails? I'm considering their conversion kit, a damper on each rail, as well as their fuel line kit / fpr to go along with it.

I saw some talk about needing extra dampers after conversion and larger injectors (thinking 1050 or 1200), and curious if extra inline dampers would be necessary.

I don't have any real experience with that but can't see any need for an inline one if there is going to be one on each rail already. Just get the boost referenced rails ones rather than OEM style if you're concerned.

What size 1050’s did you get? OEM dimensions? Have seen a recent case where someone got the Radium conversion for an older Subaru and intended to use OEM top feed injectors which don't actually fit the kit. You need to get the injectors based on the sizes the rail supports, not just a standard Subaru size.

Separate but related question - has anyone installed the Radium top feed conversion kit and used two of their direct fit dampers on the their fuel rails? I'm considering their conversion kit, a damper on each rail, as well as their fuel line kit / fpr to go along with it.

I saw some talk about needing extra dampers after conversion and larger injectors (thinking 1050 or 1200), and curious if extra inline dampers would be necessary.

I did the radium conversion rails, three pulse dampers (two in rails plus an inline) and their smaller FPR. FPR and in-line dapper went in first with the Dw740’s, then the rails with ID1050X’s.

It’s beyond overkill, but in testing I found our fuel pressure fluctuates a LOT so I was trying to do everything possible to stabilize that. This helped, but the stumble issues I was chasing were likely related to some ignition and AVCS issues.

I may go back and add the larger adjustable Radium FPR to smooth out startup fueling. With the pump at 100% and low IDC pressure tends to go high.

I may go back and add

Archived