LegacyGT.com

PSA: Check your brakelines every now and then

EDIT: APPEARS TO BE A STOCK LINES WITH BREMBOS ISSUE. SEE POST 5 AND 6 IF YOU HAVE THIS COMBO.

EDIT 2: 08-UP STI NO-BEND HOSES WITH TAB BRACKETS FIT PERFECTLY AND POSITION THE HOSE SO THIS CANT HAPPEN. INSTALLED STRAIGHT ON WITH NO ISSUES. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DO AT THE SAME TIME YOU PUT ON BREMBOS.

I am at 54,000 km and not really due for any suspension or brake parts, already did my entire front suspension pre-emptively when I did the usual torn arm bushings.

I had my car up on a lift to pressure wash the underside which I do every few months. Imagine my surprise to see this:

fwSxbd3.jpg

The rear brake hose which normally loops upward, was now looped downwards. It had somehow gotten wedged in between the folds of the axle boot.

I pulled it up and this is what the hose looked like:

yRliv0r.jpg

I was getting the underside clean after an event where I was testing the car. Got it up to 230kph. I shudder when I imagine this hose letting go then. :eek:

No one in the country has the proper rear brake line.

Subaru PI quoted a 4 week lead time. Said they had never had this in stock ever and no has ever looked for it before, they would have to order it from Japan.

All the aftermarket parts guys have SS lines for the Forester, WRX, and STI, but no Legacy.

Will the STI or WRX lines work on our cars?

It looks like what happened is a side effect of using the stock LGT line with Brembo calipers.

The big difference with the 2010 Legacy rear brake line is the bend at the banjo fitting that attaches to the caliper.

The caliper has protrusions that holds the hose fitting in position as the banjo bolt is tightened down.

This fitting bend positions the fitting in such a way as to pull the rubber hose taut and well away from any suspension and underchassis parts.

The Brembo caliper protrusions are oriented differently. The hose fitting is clocked differently and the rubber line now has enough range of movement to change position and hit the axle boot.

So if you are using the stock LGT lines (or 2010 LGT-specific aftermarket lines) with your Brembos, this can happen to you too.

These are Goodridge 2010 LGT lines, the one with the big bend at the banjo fitting is for the rear. Pics are from an archived sale ad here, credit to seller.

1tE1O7M.jpg

This is how it is positioned with the stock LGT calipers. Note the rubber hose is high and out of the way.

sGvOfTX.jpg

Here is the stock LGT lines with Brembos. Note how the fitting is now positioned, and how the rubber hose is now less taut and can now move downward.

Nz2A2Tl.png

Ok, got the car up on the lift and checked the OE lines against various other Subaru model's lines.

08- up STI lines are a perfect fit, for cars with 08-up Brembos.

There are 2 versions of STI lines commonly available and they differ for the rear. One has a relatively straight banjo fitting (Goodridge 24219) and the other has an almost 90deg bend (Goodridge 24218) . The one that works best for our cars with Brembos is the straight one, 24219.

Also, make sure you get the set where all the lines have the bracket tab. There are sets where the rear lines dont have the tab.

To summarize, the 08-STI lines with straight fittings and bracket tabs fit our 5th gens with 08-up Brembos perfectly.

Again, those are only for the 5th gens with 08-up Brembos.

If you have stock brakes, most any model front will work but I recommend going with the 5th gen specific rears, the banjo bolt recess in the rear caliper is clocked differently and needs the bend at the end of the hose banjo fitting.

Will post up pics after install

I went with Project MU lines. They are teflon with a stainless braided body, then coated above that. I prefer these to the Goodridge that are available here, I could only find the the braided ones without the additional coating.

These are listed for the 08-up STI.

rbJ7g0K.jpg

Af8vSZa.jpg

Note the stainless steel tab brackets. For the 5th gen you need all 4 hoses to have those. Some sets only have tabs only for the front.

Here is the OE rear vs the PMu rear. About the same length, straight banjo end works better with the STI Brembos than the OE 90deg bend.

oyiM1ou.jpg

Here is the OE line attached to the Brembos

3hGOGCE.jpg

And here is the PMu installed.

iEUBfP4.jpg

From another angle:

VufDXz1.jpg

The shiny spot on the axle boot is where the old brake hose went into and got eaten up.

C8tbmFa.jpg

Here is a close up of the damage. The boot ate all the way through the rubber body amd was at the ply already.

h98GSiT.jpg

llApM0Q.jpg

Here is the front. Fit perfectly.

SvW9efD.jpg

I had already done a brake fluid flush a few months ago but since so much fluid was lost pulling and putting these on, I had a full flush done.

I had ATE Typ 200 on, and changed to Motul RBF600 which beats out the ATE by 10% or so on dry and wet boiling temps.

Bled the inner and outers all around of course.

I am very happy with how it came out. The result was a firmer pedal and more direct braking feel. The change is not night and day but it is very noticeable and confidence inspiring!

I now hope to find a master cylinder brace solution to see if they can make these brakes feel even better!

I had already done a brake fluid flush a few months ago but since so much fluid was lost pulling and putting these on, I had a full flush done.

I had ATE Typ 200 on, and changed to Motul RBF600 which beats out the ATE by 10% or so on dry and wet boiling temps.

Bled the inner and outers all around of course.

I am very happy with how it came out. The result was a firmer pedal and more direct braking feel. The change is not night and day but it is very noticeable and confidence inspiring!

I now hope to find a master cylinder brace solution to see if they can make these brakes feel even better!

I'm looking for master cylinder solution as well! Please update if you find one locally. :)

Archived