LegacyGT.com

Report: Potential engine valve spring failure?

Not so good news...unclear yet whether this will effect the Legacy and which model years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-could-issue-massive-recall-affecting-many-us-models/amp

"...According to sources in Japan, “a valve spring could break and hamper the workings of the engine.” The report says every vehicle Subaru manufactures, except for their Mini vehicles, (not sold in the U.S.) are affected which means hundreds of thousands of Subaru vehicles in the U.S. could be recalled.

This would include all models like Outback, Forester, Crosstrek, Impreza, Legacy, WRX, WRX STI, and BRZ sports coupe...*"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That would be a ridiculously expensive recall.

This would go way beyond the likes of the airbag recall. Are you suggesting they replace all the valve springs in the engine ? thats never going to happen, have you any idea how much work that is ?

Valves springs can break anyway, usually when a car is left for years without running it. The valves that are held in a "Compressed" state don't like it and either break or then break when you try and start the engine.

Sorry I don't know enough about the Boxter engines, are they interference or non-interference design ? if the pistons start hitting valves its going to get ugly.

If its only happened in a couple of instances you simply could not justify a recall.

count me as unconcerned. If the engine were to fail within powertrain warranty it would be covered, so what's the big deal? I think all buyers (new or used) are aware that extended warranties are available if that's the kind of thing that keeps you up at night. Interesting to see how this plays out but won't change the fact that I'll continue to buy subarus... lol

As I see it - if this was a major problem we would see stranded subies all over the world. So far it looks like there's one bad batch of springs that have ended up in vehicles made. Of course a batch of springs may be pretty large.

At least this isn't on the level of the Takata Airbag disaster. I suspect that the full extent isn't known yet and they need more data before they make a general world-wide recall.

Car engines are pretty complex and every part is also picked from the cheapest supplier that fulfills the requirements put up at the time. But some failures takes a long time to occur.

453747.png

It appears that the Legacy/Outback is not impacted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/subaru-and-toyota-to-recall-more-than-400-000-vehicles-globally-1541054737

Better link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/subaru-toyota-to-recall-more-than-400000-autos-2018-11-01

I would not get hopes up yet about legacy and outback not being affected. they use the same powertrain components as the 2.5L Forrester...typically recalls start small and get larger.
If they've identified the lot numbers of the bad springs they know where those lot numbers went. Id bet money they have it narrowed down pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Details are important:

The recalled Subaru vehicles were made between January 2012 and September 2013.
It also appears that all of the affected vehicles had an FA20 or FB20 engine and were assembled in Japan, which would seem to exclude all Legacys and Outbacks built in the U.S.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If they've identified the lot numbers of the bad springs they know where those lot numbers went. Id bet money they have it narrowed down pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yup just like that Tanaka Airbag Recall.... "We've identified X" and in reality it turned out to be X + entire lot of them. So again, do not be so eager to count them there chickens before they hatch...

yup just like that Tanaka Airbag Recall.... "We've identified X" and in reality it turned out to be X + entire lot of them. So again, do not be so eager to count them there chickens before they hatch...

I think a more apt expression is "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."

Whatever.

There's no evidence this recall will affect more than is stated.

Not every recall "explodes" like the Takata Airbag Recall, thankfully.

I think a more apt expression is "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."

Recently posted on the Outback forum:

If they ever add jumping to conclusions as an Olympic event it is almost certain that a Subaru owner will win the gold medal.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

We'll know more in a few months as they dig into it and make sure the problem is not wide spread...

lol like it has never happened in the past where an initial lot was suspect and then they find out once they dig down into it and find more. if they don't no bog deal, if they do, it would be sort of expected.

a simple google search of automotive recall expanded will bear out the point/

Archived