LegacyGT.com

1996 Outback 2.2l engine swap

Mr.Mayhem

My buddy was driving and smoke started coming from engine compartment, he shut the car off immediately and coasted to the shoulder, he wants me to fix it for him. After I got it to my shop I checked oil and coolant(oil pan was empty and radiator was dry), topped off fluids and tried starting it. Engine cranked fine but no spark. After digging a little deeper I found a couple hoses on intake were melted and the timing belt cover was partially melted as well. My buddy picked up a 1997 model with the same engine for $200 and wants me to swap the motor from the 97 to the 96. My only hold up on the swap is I've been told that the 1996 is a year specific motor only. I haven't found anything to back it up, but I hate to tear into the cars and find out I wasted my time. Any info would be appreciated!

• 4 months later...

That may be because it is OBD2 motor that was still an older non-interference design with the lower compression.

The 97' is interference design and has a little higher compression and hp/tq figures too. Everything that you want to swap over will as long as you just make sure to have your 96' next to the 97' when you swap everything over.

Archived