LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Lockdown - has anyone tried it?

I've been running one of these since they came out. It makes the steering feel a bit heavier, but definitely tightens up the road feel and gives more precision. I've probably put 400 laps on a racetrack with it installed and the car was much more controllable at speed with it installed versus without.

I definitely recommend it.

I've been running it for almost 2 years now. IMO, it made more of an noticeable improvement than switching over to a 15' sti rack. Install was a little bit of a pain, I snapped the bolt during install and had to extract it. It was pretty cold out so the rubber was hard, should have blasted it with a hairdryer first in hindsight.

The sti steering knuckle is a better upgrade IMO since you're not reverse engineering anything, but that's obviously a bit more difficult to install.

It's totally worth it, especially for the money

I've been running it for almost 2 years now. IMO, it made more of an noticeable improvement than switching over to a 15' sti rack. Install was a little bit of a pain, I snapped the bolt during install and had to extract it. It was pretty cold out so the rubber was hard, should have blasted it with a hairdryer first in hindsight.

The sti steering knuckle is a better upgrade IMO since you're not reverse engineering anything, but that's obviously a bit more difficult to install.

It's totally worth it, especially for the money

You're about the 5th person I know that broke the cheap bolt. I immediately put in a grade 8 bolt without even trying the Perrin bolt that came with it. I rarely use the hardware that comes with most of these parts because it's usually the cheapest stuff you can get. Grade 8 with good antiseize coating and you'll never have an issue.

Also, spray everything with a light coat of some lubricant too (after heating it gently if necessary) as the lube helps the pieces slip into place.

Archived