LegacyGT.com

Key fob won't unlock, car won't start mystery!

Hi,

My issue has a few peculiar symptoms.. here goes:

1. Key fob won't unlock vehicle

2. When turned in ignition nothing happens (except the alarm!)

3. Replacing battery in fob does nothing

4. Jump start with starter pack will not start the car, though does result in an audible clicking of the starter motor which was not present before. Also gives power to the after-market stereo and dashboard clock (which did not happen before). Oh and the alarm, the cursed alarm..

5. The battery seems to be dead - will not start another car.

6. The only thing that I think might have drained the battery is that I left the headlight switch on - though in a Subaru I think the lights turn off with the engine? (I've only owned this for a month!).

I'd like to ensure it is not a immobiliser issue first - any thoughts on how to do this?

Any forum legends out there know what is going on?

(Legacy Wagon, 2005)

Welcome to the forum. Here's the service manual,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Most auto parts stores can test the battery for free. If needed Walmart's, Max-Ever start is a top rated battery. I have 3 of them in my cars.

Make sure the battery terminals are clean.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like a dead battery to me... have you tried jumping with another running car? Jump-start packs have never worked great in my experience.

One thing to keep in mind: common problem with Subarus that gets all of us from time-to-time is leaving the parking light switch on accidentally. I don't mean the switch on the stalk, but the one on top of the steering column. That will leave the parking lights on, even with the keys out of the ignition.

Update.

Car is starting again.

I charged the battery - car wouldn't start, but alarm went.

I used the buttons on the keyring - the alarm stopped (this wasn't happening before).

The buttons also worked on the central locking.

I tried starting the car again. This time it worked.

Can anyone explain this?

Also, I can't find anything that could have been draining the battery. Perhaps faulty alternator?

Thanks!

Sounds like a dead battery to me... have you tried jumping with another running car? Jump-start packs have never worked great in my experience.

One thing to keep in mind: common problem with Subarus that gets all of us from time-to-time is leaving the parking light switch on accidentally. I don't mean the switch on the stalk, but the one on top of the steering column. That will leave the parking lights on, even with the keys out of the ignition.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked that light - it wasn't on.

It just sounds like a dead battery to me... Though I will say, it's interesting that there's power enough for the alarm system but not the dashboard clock or stereo.

Yes, perhaps it's a faulty alternator. If you have access to an ammeter (or know how to measure current some other way), it'd be worth measuring the current draw from the battery while the car's not running.

One more thing: how old is the battery?

Sounds like the battery is either shorted or has at least one dead cell. Take a battery out of a car that runs now and try that. I would bet it will clear up your issues.

Jumping the battery when it's stone dead like that will crash the alternator as it's only designed to put out about 75% of rated current as nominal. When you try to jump start it, the alternator then goes to 100% of output and it's not made to do that for very long. Usually this results in a blown diode trio-one of the diodes will pop-and at that point, a new alternator AND a new battery is required.

Archived