LegacyGT.com

Issues with GROM BT3

nevets27

I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like this with their GROM BT3? I sent this email to GROM and they basically said they don't have these issues with the newer units.

Which means I'll have to buy the BT3 again.

I bought it used not knowing there are older versions that can't be updated to the latest firmware. Would have been nice for them to have included that info in the release info of the firmware.

I don't want to get burned once again and not get the experience I expected from the GROM BT3 the first time.

Current issues:

1) The call quality is down right terrible. I could try to describe it but its just all bad. Music streaming quality is good. Using the same phone in a different car with bluetooth and the call quality is worlds better (also an aftermarket Bluetooth).

2) Doesn't always auto connect. Apparently the older versions will stop looking for a phone to connect to after a few minutes, while the new versions will constantly look for a previously paired device. This is a pain in the ass when remote starting the car as it never auto connects, as I don't get to the car till about 10 mins after its been started. It also sometimes doesn't auto connect if I'm sitting in the car and start it.

3) Sometimes it doesn't connect to the OEM stereo/headunit. Pushing the SAT does nothing. I have to turn the car off and on to get it to connect. (even though I can connect to it via bluetooth)

What I expected from the GROM:

1) At the very least decent call quality

2) When I get within range of my car the bluetooth connects, regardless of how long it has been running.

3) Be able to leave it on SAT as my "default". When turning the car off and then back on my input should still be on SAT.

4) I had planned to wire the ipod 30 pin as an aux in and connect to emu pod to be able to change tracks on a Nexus 7. Which should have worked but GROM disabled using the 30 pin ipod connection. (Looks like I'll just have to suck this one up)

Side note with GROM disabling the 30 pin ipod.

Wondering what the EXT ports can be used for now on the BT3, looks like only an additional 3.5 AUX and HD radio.

Though if you were to get the USB3, you could add bluetooth but also be able to plug in and play/control an android or iphone via the USB. And still have the 3.5 AUX in. So it seems the USB3 has more functionality, with a bit higher cost, that way.

But also note that the USB3 GROM when connected to an android device has to be the host so the dream of plugging it in via USB to a Nexus 7 running in host mode (which is what all or ours do for the most part) is dead.

TL;DR

Does your GROM work as you would expect and with good call quality?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like this with their GROM BT3? I sent this email to GROM and they basically said they don't have these issues with the newer units.

Which means I'll have to buy the BT3 again.

I bought it used not knowing there are older versions that can't be updated to the latest firmware. Would have been nice for them to have included that info in the release info of the firmware.

I don't want to get burned once again and not get the experience I expected from the GROM BT3 the first time.

Current issues:

1) The call quality is down right terrible. I could try to describe it but its just all bad. Music streaming quality is good. Using the same phone in a different car with bluetooth and the call quality is worlds better (also an aftermarket Bluetooth).

2) Doesn't always auto connect. Apparently the older versions will stop looking for a phone to connect to after a few minutes, while the new versions will constantly look for a previously paired device. This is a pain in the ass when remote starting the car as it never auto connects, as I don't get to the car till about 10 mins after its been started. It also sometimes doesn't auto connect if I'm sitting in the car and start it.

3) Sometimes it doesn't connect to the OEM stereo/headunit. Pushing the SAT does nothing. I have to turn the car off and on to get it to connect. (even though I can connect to it via bluetooth)

What I expected from the GROM:

1) At the very least decent call quality

2) When I get within range of my car the bluetooth connects, regardless of how long it has been running.

3) Be able to leave it on SAT as my "default". When turning the car off and then back on my input should still be on SAT.

4) I had planned to wire the ipod 30 pin as an aux in and connect to emu pod to be able to change tracks on a Nexus 7. Which should have worked but GROM disabled using the 30 pin ipod connection. (Looks like I'll just have to suck this one up)

Side note with GROM disabling the 30 pin ipod.

Wondering what the EXT ports can be used for now on the BT3, looks like only an additional 3.5 AUX and HD radio.

Though if you were to get the USB3, you could add bluetooth but also be able to plug in and play/control an android or iphone via the USB. And still have the 3.5 AUX in. So it seems the USB3 has more functionality, with a bit higher cost, that way.

But also note that the USB3 GROM when connected to an android device has to be the host so the dream of plugging it in via USB to a Nexus 7 running in host mode (which is what all or ours do for the most part) is dead.

TL;DR

Does your GROM work as you would expect and with good call quality?

This^^^^

I have the same issues and I turn the car off and on to get proper functionality. it will work as designed for a few drive cycles then it will spaz out and I repeat. I have checked the 12v supply in the harness, it is fine, i ran a new ground to the chassis, still no luck.

I think the problem is the GROM is older tech and with the newer phones and BT protocols it cant keep up OR the firmware is flawed. I even sent mine back to GROM for a brand new unit and the new one behaves the same way. I have the BT with the USB and Aux options.

My plan is to go the Singe DIN route via the cubby:spin:

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I kind of felt like I was as I hadn't heard of any problems with them.

Would be interesting to know what version everyone has. The firmware is easy to update, it may help. I'm unfortunately stuck on old firmware.

The integration is pretty good on paper but it has to work flawlessly to be useful and not annoy me. Last thing I want is troubleshooting a problem while driving and getting a call.

I might be going doing something similar. I'm not a fan of replacing the OEM stereo for a few reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
What the hell, that's weird. Doesn't look pretty that's for sure. Would be interesting to hear what GROM has to say about that.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

So GROM actually sent me a brand new BT3 kit, no hassle, all new harness/cable and same thing is happening SO i think its the headunit. Only problem is finding a P206 for sale to replace the current P204 :(

I guess i can convert to JDM but the not exact fit and lack of color matching bothers me :lol: Why would they make the EDM panel set in the exact color and make the JDM in matte black:mad:

I am glad to have discovered this. While I like the new to me LGT very much, lack of bluetooth sucks (especially for us NY's where everything is illegal). I stumbled across GROM in another thread and figured I would look into it. So the general consensus is that this isn't worth doing the time/money? Or are you the cple guys out of many that are having troubles? Buying the latest and greatest version won't help? Thanks for any replies and good luck.

I don't think there has been enough responses to form any soild conclusions. There are a lot of people here that like the GROM in our cars. Either they have none of the issues I've experienced or they are more tolerant of the quirks/quality.

It could also be the older models are bad but new ones are good. I don't know.

But after hearing that gee-otto got his replaced I may try to get a replacement as far as I'm concerned mine is broke. So I'll just have to try and get them to take it back by telling them it's not functional. Though since I'm not the original buyer and have no proof of purchase I don't know if I'll get anywhere. I think they should stand by their product for the cost.

I will say aside from some poor implementation the integration with our cars is quite nice.

Pros.

-Answering and hanging up with steering wheel or radio controls.

-Activation of ok google via radio controls (not sure if it works for Suri)

-control of streaming music via steering wheel and radio controls

Cons.

-No indication of an incoming call other then the phone itself

-Must change inputs to use the GROM

-Must wait (15 seconds?) after switching the input to SAT/GROM before activating ok google. Doing so too early will put the GROM into pairing mode. Pain in the ass. And 15 seconds feels an eternity when waiting to start a "quick" voice command

All my other issues/cons listed in the op. Which may or not be true for other models. Also the above my have been changed in later versions but I doubt it. No mention of it in the newer firmware.

Not many options for nice integration. There is the parrot but it goes inline with the speakers. Overall I think it was a good unit/product but I didn't like the separate remote. In hindsight I might have liked it better. Lack of integration but I think better call quality and the fact it plays calls over the speakers regardless of input was some nice pros.

I the issue is a combo of and aging head unit and a in-line device affecting the voltages across the HU enough to cause it to falter. When the BT3 is out my HU doesnt miss a beat, when in it has it moments :lol: Once I find a P206HU ill update but overall I like the BT3 option as long as its viable given smartphone's march to more sophisticated streaming protocols.

• 2 months later...
Got a replacement HU fixed the erratic behavior in cold temps but didnt resolve the BT3 issues. I think the issues is with the switched 12v line if your HU starts acting like the BT3 isnt present you can turn the key to the ON and OFF position and enable the SAT emulation (the way it should normally operate) if you do this and start the car is can revert back to the error state. Not sure what triggers this behavior as other have no issues ever but the only fix i see is to wire it to a non switched 12v which would keep the BT3 on all the time.

Archived