LegacyGT.com

Mirrorlink does it work?

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out why do I have mirrorlink in my 2017 Legacy if my phone can't connect to it. I tried at least 20 different options and the only success i had was to actually get mirrorlink to tell me it is working but my screen was blue and nothing on it. If you had figured out hot to work this please let me know. I am using Samsung Galaxy Note9. Thanks

Mirrorlink is an orphaned standard that the world has long since moved past, to be superseded by Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Use Search on "Mirrorlink" to find lots of old threads discussing this issue.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

In a word, no. Even if Subaru was committed to upgrading the software, the old (i.e. MY 2015-2017) hardware wouldn't support it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Ugh this is crappy news....Just bought my legacy and didn't try it until after purchase as I didn't think a 2015 wouldn't have a functioning infotainment system, very frustrating! Is there any other apps that give any similar functionality?

I got a new garage door opener in 2014 and had to get Liftmater adapter device to make the mirrirlink work with my garage door.

Give your garage door opener company a call and tell them what car you have and see what they offer as an adapter.

:mad: So i just got 2017 Legacy Premium and I am noticing some things I really can't understand are not standard on a 2017 vehicle that costs $26K new. I don't understand that Subaru would have mirrorlink app installed that doesn't work at all. Also I don't understand that company that is supposedly one of the safest car companies doesn't have automatic door lock when you are in motion. I mean that stuff comes standard on pretty much every car made after 1996. WTF Subaru

:mad: So i just got 2017 Legacy Premium and I am noticing some things I really can't understand are not standard on a 2017 vehicle that costs $26K new. I don't understand that Subaru would have mirrorlink app installed that doesn't work at all. Also I don't understand that company that is supposedly one of the safest car companies doesn't have automatic door lock when you are in motion. I mean that stuff comes standard on pretty much every car made after 1996. WTF Subaru

To be fair, you are getting almost every standard feature a car comes with for the same price or less than its competitors. You can't forget you are getting a car with industry competitive gas mileage, probably the safest car in its segment, and a car with awd standard for the same price or less than competitors. At the end of the day if these three things aren't your top priorities, then a Subaru shouldn't be on your short list of cars.

Every Subaru comes with a switch on the door to lock and unlock the car, and if that saved me $50 off the price of my car compared to automatic locks then I am glad they omitted it. If having the car locked while driving is of high importance then it should be something you think of doing before starting to drive away, such as putting on your seat belt.

unfortunately mirrorlink technology came and went. Mobile device tech/Apple/Android seem to update / change much faster than some car manufacturers can keep up with. In 2015 Mirrorlink was new and it seemed this is where "phone to radio" tech was going.....but just as fast as mirrorlink came out, Apple Car Play and Android Auto made it obsolete.

I think now the ACP and AA technologies are becoming the standard so I would expect that most new phones and cars will finally be in line with this technology moving forward.

unfortunately mirrorlink technology came and went. Mobile device tech/Apple/Android seem to update / change much faster than some car manufacturers can keep up with. In 2015 Mirrorlink was new and it seemed this is where "phone to radio" tech was going.....but just as fast as mirrorlink came out, Apple Car Play and Android Auto made it obsolete.

I think now the ACP and AA technologies are becoming the standard so I would expect that most new phones and cars will finally be in line with this technology moving forward.

I think changing technology is something that we all obviously have to live with. On the one hand most people (not all) expect our new cars to have the "latest and greatest" gadgetry, but when something even "later and greater" comes on the scene, we complain that our vehicle is now kinda obsolete. I think that is especially one of the real dilemmas for the future of head units. So much these days is controlled by the head unit, as against by physical buttons or knobs, that when a car is more than a few years old, some head units may no longer be repairable due to changes in technology (or the manufacturer's unwillingness to update older software). This is obviously not a problem for those who change cars regularly ..... but it is food for thought for for those of us who hang onto their cars longer.

Every Subaru comes with a switch on the door to lock and unlock the car, and if that saved me $50 off the price of my car compared to automatic locks then I am glad they omitted it. If having the car locked while driving is of high importance then it should be something you think of doing before starting to drive away, such as putting on your seat belt.

Are you really that cheap that you would rather take $50 off on a 25K car instead of option that is standard on every other car in the world (i think even last series of Yugo before they went out of business had it, although I might be wrong).

How fast did mirrorlink come and go away? According to online forums it never worked properly yet it was standard equipment on legacy since 2015. Sounds to me that Subaru just didn't care enough to update because they knew people will buy the car no matter what.

As far as expecting latest and greatest, I think that is not a correct statement at least in my case. I just expect that things that are in my fairly new car will work as designed.

Are you really that cheap that you would rather take $50 off on a 25K car instead of option that is standard on every other car in the world (i think even last series of Yugo before they went out of business had it, although I might be wrong).

Since it is a feature I neither want nor need, I surely am that cheap! :lol:

It's totally fine that this feature is important to you - I think they added this feature to the 2018 and newer models if I'm not mistaken.

But as far as the main topic on the thread - I agree that Mirrorlink should have been designed in a way that would be actually usable; however, when the Apple's of the world want to set the new standard by making something like CarPlay, there isn't much any other smaller company can do about it. Unfortunately for us, Subaru can't force the people making phone operating systems to accept a standard like MirrorLink when CarPlay and Android Auto are bullying the market into accepting their software.

I think CarPlay is a neat system; however, if you have an iPhone you can essentially have access to most of the features of CarPlay but by using the Siri Voice activation from the steering wheel controls. It's slower, but honestly safer since there isn't a way to activate it other than from the steering wheel so you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

... when the Apple's of the world want to set the new standard by making something like CarPlay, there isn't much any other smaller company can do about it.

It's worse than that. The Apples, Micro$ofts, and Googles of the world often develop proprietary solutions that are intended to thwart or subvert standardization. Monopolies are seldom benign, and monopolies generally hate open standards.

To be fair, proprietary solutions are sometimes developed and deployed because the standards process can be very slow ... which can be a problem in a fast-moving marketplace. I've sat in standards committee meetings and watched some companies intentionally block progress, for no apparent reason other than their own narrow competitive interests.

spacer.png

It's worse than that. The Apples, Micro$ofts, and Googles of the world often develop proprietary solutions that are intended to thwart or subvert standardization. Monopolies are seldom benign, and monopolies generally hate open standards.

I agree with all you have said .... the only change I would make is that I would substitute "always" for "often" :mad:

Since it is a feature I neither want nor need, I surely am that cheap! :lol:

It's totally fine that this feature is important to you - I think they added this feature to the 2018 and newer models if I'm not mistaken.

But as far as the main topic on the thread - I agree that Mirrorlink should have been designed in a way that would be actually usable; however, when the Apple's of the world want to set the new standard by making something like CarPlay, there isn't much any other smaller company can do about it. Unfortunately for us, Subaru can't force the people making phone operating systems to accept a standard like MirrorLink when CarPlay and Android Auto are bullying the market into accepting their software.

I think CarPlay is a neat system; however, if you have an iPhone you can essentially have access to most of the features of CarPlay but by using the Siri Voice activation from the steering wheel controls. It's slower, but honestly safer since there isn't a way to activate it other than from the steering wheel so you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

I totally agree with all this. I didn't want to sound like jackass and I am not disagreeing with none of this. All I am saying is that Subaru should have realized that mirrorlink doesn't work sooner and offer some upgrade to their models earlier than 2018. I am almost 100% sure they could get rid of mirrorlink and replace it with the other 2 apps. I know a lot of people who would pay few hundred bucks for this upgrade.

I am almost 100% sure they could get rid of mirrorlink and replace it with the other 2 apps.

And you know this ... how? As just one point, how do you know that the existing hardware is adequate to support CarPlay and Android Auto? Wishing will not make it so.

spacer.png

And you know this ... how? As just one point, how do you know that the existing hardware is adequate to support CarPlay and Android Auto? Wishing will not make it so.

You are correct. Stay inside your box and believe that nothing can change. I will post an update here in a few weeks, hopefully with an update.

I totally agree with all this. I didn't want to sound like jackass and I am not disagreeing with none of this. All I am saying is that Subaru should have realized that mirrorlink doesn't work sooner and offer some upgrade to their models earlier than 2018. I am almost 100% sure they could get rid of mirrorlink and replace it with the other 2 apps. I know a lot of people who would pay few hundred bucks for this upgrade.
Heck,

I'd pay a grand to drop the 2018-19 head unit into my 16 if it'd give me Android Auto.

Local dealer says that's a no go, and the computers would spazz.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Stay inside your box and believe that nothing can change.

My intent was to provide a reality check.

The MY 2015-17 head units from Fujitsu Ten are Linux (circa 2007) based and the open source software used is available for download from Subaru. Feel free to develop whatever additional functionality you want.

spacer.png

To be fair, proprietary solutions are sometimes developed and deployed because the standards process can be very slow ... which can be a problem in a fast-moving marketplace. I've sat in standards committee meetings and watched some companies intentionally block progress, for no apparent reason other than their own narrow competitive interests.

Actually, it's hard to think of an industry more competitive and less monopolistic than high tech. Microsoft and Apple have been competing in the PC business for decades, each with its own operating system. As for standards, the MacOs is a Unix variant based on POSIX (an industry standard). The Windows OS is proprietary but most PCs are built by companies assembling machines made from merchant hardware and chipsets from Intel, AMD, Invidia, etc. leaving Microsoft mostly on the sidelines of the PC hardware market until recently. Meanwhile, the company that invented the PC, IBM, has long since left the building, unable to compete in the market they created. Apple and Google compete in the smartphone business and there are many (standards based) Android variants for those who don't like the iPhone (IOS itself is a POSIX compliant OS). Competing offerings from Google and Apple in the auto entertainment space are staring you in face when you turn on your car (CarPlay and Android Auto). All this competition and innovation has improved price/performance by orders of magnitude in a relatively short time. And now, both Google and FaceBook risk impending collapse of their highly centralized AI and advertising driven business models in the face of emerging blockchain technologies which are working to return control of the internet to end users. It can't happen too soon.

As for standards, they are necessary but usually consolidate in the wake of innovations, many of which would never happen if the market was locked down by standards committees backed by government mandate.

JMO.

Actually, it's hard to think of an industry more competitive and less monopolistic than high tech.

As for standards, they are necessary but usually consolidate in the wake of innovations, many of which would never happen if the market was locked down by standards committees ...

"The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." ~ Rdml. Grace Hopper

spacer.png

Archived