LegacyGT.com

Another all-aluminum radiator option for the 5th gen GT

So you want to fix a problem you don't have? Maybe you could get someone to custom make you one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

More like address it before it has a chance to become a problem. I'd likely do the STI thermostat at the same time. Custom is possible but likely pricey, though there's a guy in the FB group talking about it for his H6. He's a very enterprising sort.

Yea, thankfully the 2015+ WRX shares more than a couple parts with our gen

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thankfully! I had no idea that the rad worked, I did learn on here the intercooler does, and recently, the front seat assembly. Nice to have more modding options!

So you want to fix a problem you don't have? Maybe you could get someone to custom make you one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I notice that a lot here. Heck, I saw some dude here change the shape of a perfectly functional steering wheel! :p

Edited by Scubaboo

I notice that a lot here. Heck, I saw some dude here change the shape of a perfectly functional steering wheel! :p

I need more knee room, lol! Tall people problems! :lol:

On serious side, I can't recall a correctly functioning 3.6 having overheating problems even when pushed hard. It could be the lack of crossover pipe really helps. Also, if you are serious about this mod find a really cheap used radiator and take it apart to see if the difference is only the second inlet from the other side of the engine, if it is then have another inlet welded onto an aluminum radiator and be done.

Ah, I'm a shorty so that never crossed my mind :lol:

Yeah, I think even the turbos dont really have a problem when everything is functioning properly. I do like the aluminum rads have aluminum end tanks and are welded. I've had OE style rads crack end tanks or leak at the crimps on a variety of cars, I like that it cant happen here.

As for cooling, these rads do lower the average temps a bit but really need fan reprogramming to work best. Come to think of it, maybe fan reprogramming with a stock rad may do just as well?

What really gave me a big drop in temps was an engine oil cooler system. Even with a 100c oil thermostat, the little bypass flow really dropped oil and coolant temps on the average.

It may be too effective as it takes me 15mins to get to 80c oil temp, I am thinking of swapping out the STI coolant thermostat for the OE one, it may get everything warmed up faster?

Another way to maximize cooling in the radiator would be to go for an auxiliary trans-cooler with thermostatically controlled fan and remove the radiator from the trans cooling circuit. If you are really concerned with straining the engine cooling the trans will probably be feeling it before the engine.

• 3 months later...
A 2015+ WRX radiator will work for us since they also don't have the extra hose that the STIs do. I have the Koyorad VH091662. It's a drop in plug and play. Another FB 5th gen owner installed a CSF radiator for the 08+ STi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Do you know if the following radiator can be used in a 2011 Legacy GT?

https://www.mishimoto.eu/subaru-wrx-performance-aluminium-radiator-2015.html

I don't wanna deal with any kind of mods...just replacing the original one for a full alluminum radiator.

I realize that for a fifth gen, all dealers didn't provide a specific radiator :-(

Edited by shi_daniel

Hi Zee199969!

I've sent a PM for you! I think your Box is full :-O

Anyway, I see you've installed a Koyo VH091662 in the following link:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-5th-gen-todayii-v4-267765.html?p=5896685#post5896685)

Could you tell me if you had any problem with clearence between Fan, hose or anything else? Can I use a stock hose? Installation is like replacing the stock rad by another identical? VH091662 is 20mm thicker than stock rad :-O

I see some differences between your Koyo and the stock one. There are 2 tabs in the bottom of stock radiator that Koyo don't have (Koyo's bottom part just have points to install Fans and two pins..stock radiator have two tabs more.

Stock rad can be seen in the following post:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...gt-276124.html

I'd like to know if you bought Samco Hose because the original one could not be used.

I live in Brazil and my 11 LGT is a JDM model. I think USDM and JDM use the same radiator, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help!

PS: Sorry for my terrible english :-(

• 2 months later...

Would the Megan Racing Radiator Subaru WRX & STi [2 Row] (2008-2014) MR-RT-SI08 radiator work for a 2012 Legacy 2.5i premium CVT? I think I need to add a CVT cooler which isn't a problem. I replaced the hoses and did a flush. Went to replace the thermostat and housing before refilling with coolant and I think the radiator is seeping.

https://shop.redline360.com/products/megan-racing-radiator-subaru-wrx-sti-2-row-2008-2014-mr-rt-si08?variant=28753299669072&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MCZvfqJ6QIVIx-tBh1EvQ_UEAQYByABEgJ4jvD_BwE

Would the Megan Racing Radiator Subaru WRX & STi [2 Row] (2008-2014) MR-RT-SI08 radiator work for a 2012 Legacy 2.5i premium CVT? I think I need to add a CVT cooler which isn't a problem. I replaced the hoses and did a flush. Went to replace the thermostat and housing before refilling with coolant and I think the radiator is seeping.

https://shop.redline360.com/products/megan-racing-radiator-subaru-wrx-sti-2-row-2008-2014-mr-rt-si08?variant=28753299669072&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MCZvfqJ6QIVIx-tBh1EvQ_UEAQYByABEgJ4jvD_BwE

I cant say because I dont know if there are relevant cooling system differences between turbo and non turbo engines.

If they happen to be the same, you can check BBPeik's thread on installing an STI-spec radiator into a GT here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mishimoto-sti-08-radiator-install-255262.html