LegacyGT.com

Headlight Restoration

ehsnils

I did mine this weekend. I need one of those small sanders, did mine by hand lol.

Previously I sprayed them with some UV protected clear coat spray paint.. they looked ok for about a year before it started to discolor and chip off. I think I might have just not sprayed enough on, but I'm glad I didnt if it was going to end up looking like this anyway, it was a pain sanding that crap off.

But anyway, they came out pretty good. Going to try and remember to keep buffing them up with the PlastX every once in a while to keep them clear.

IMG_20181014_111805.thumb.jpg.0600669eb24e0d31d01fb3425ff9cd36.jpg

IMG_20181014_130326.thumb.jpg.9bee6c8e00baf7a65839372a4b8ec162.jpg

IMG_20181014_130613.thumb.jpg.b42418e37d079662c746caaad52927c8.jpg

IMG_20181014_141350.thumb.jpg.d201125561852a6973680fcb5891a807.jpg

IMG_20181014_141359.thumb.jpg.75b7f05f4208d0b909d0569d2045212d.jpg

Yeah getting them clear is the easy part. Keeping them clear without having to routinely buff them is another story.

I don't have much faith in wipe on coatings. They can't last long and will need to be routinely applied.

I've heard of using 2k clear coat. But no first hand experience. 2k clear coat out of a can will likely give a different result then having it sprayed.

The other method I've hear of is thinned urethane. Google has a bunch of results. Again no first hand experience.

I have a pair that need clearing but haven't decided on the way to seal/protect them after. My other issue is mine aren't actually yellowed at all and are just barely foggy, the major issue with mine is they have a lot of pitting which I doubt I can sand out. So the urethane sounds like a good idea to fill in the pits. I've seen some really nice results with it but application sounds a bit challenging.

Yeah getting them clear is the easy part. Keeping them clear without having to routinely buff them is another story.

I don't have much faith in wipe on coatings. They can't last long and will need to be routinely applied.

Can confirm, wipe on coating (from turtle wax kit) lasted about two weeks before disappearing and my headlights went yellow/cloudy again (drop in output is very noticeable).

I have been vinyl wrapping the headlights on all my cars.

If you buy the same clear 3M used on cars for the clear bra applications in bulk, and apply it to the headlights, it will clear them up. It will look as if it was not oxidized, or if you do a light polish first (no wax or clean with alcohol) then wrap, it will be even better results. My current JDM headlights on my LGT are clear vinyl wrapped. They will basically look like new for at least 3 to 5 years (depending on vinyl quality and weather)

It is not the easiest to apply, but worth the money if you have someone else apply it. I have been doing vinyl wrapping for many years (including whole car wraps at one point), so this was a quick and effective solution.

FWIW I use this on my headlight restorations. It lasts many years if put on thick. just make SURE you apply it without any sunlight around whatsoever. Preferably at night or somewhere inside with no windows or natural light at all. Otherwise it gets tacky instantly and you can't spray it on thick and have it self level.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2393695

Archived