LegacyGT.com

TPMS Programming

• 1 month later...

It has been a bit now and what I have observed is that the tire pressure light on the dash is off & all is fine when it is warmer outside (> 25*) and if lower then it does the random blink then steady on thing after roughly 10 minutes. Yes, I have made sure to fill them up to ~35-36 PSI when cold and light still comes on. I only replaced one of the sensors since it was the only that returned no signal on my reader. I am thinking they all are in need of replacement which is no surprise since they are all likely the same age and older now. I am planning on replacing the other 3 or all of them soon.

My other Legacy (08 2.5i) has the clamp-in style sensors that were installed b4 I purchased it from Walser 3 yrs ago. No probs with them. I think I like the looks of the clamp-in style better. One pic on the web detailing both side by side it looks like the clamp-in style might have 2 batteries vs one in the snap-in style. Anybody know the details or if there is a difference in any other way between the two styles?

http://www.titantpms.com/tpms/clamp-in-vs-snap-in-tpms-sensors

I would only use clamp-in style sensors if I lived in California or Florida. I've replaced hundreds of tpms sensors and the corrosion caused by clamp-in, is the reason I avoid them. The snap-in style lasted 10 years on my car with no issues, that's a rare case with clamp-in, depending where you live.

I've recently started having issues with the tpms in my winter wheel/tire package that I got from tirerack in 2011. I haven't timed it or anything like that, but when the temperature gets below 20-25F my tpms light will start to flash steadily before going solid. I'm thinking the batteries are on their way out. Surprisingly, no issues with my oem wheels that have seen more years and miles..

I've recently started having issues with the tpms in my winter wheel/tire package that I got from tirerack in 2011. I haven't timed it or anything like that, but when the temperature gets below 20-25F my tpms light will start to flash steadily before going solid. I'm thinking the batteries are on their way out. Surprisingly, no issues with my oem wheels that have seen more years and miles..

That is exactly what mine are doing on the winter tires now. Yesterday I ordered eight new VDO SE10003 sensors that are the clamp-in style from Rock Auto. Surprisingly, they were marked down on clearance to $17 each. Four for my rig and four for my son's Outback.

• 1 month later...
Installed the eight VDO SE10003 TPMS modules in my son's OB and my 09 LGT. All are working perfect! I thought it was a great deal at ~$17 each but now they are ~$13 each on rockauto.

Thanks for the heads up.. This was my first time ordering a rockauto closeout item. I expected the boxes to look old, maybe rebranded and have a thick layer of dust on them. Nope.. VDO Redi-sensors that look don't look like old stock at all..

• 1 month later...
Installed the eight VDO SE10003 TPMS modules in my son's OB and my 09 LGT. All are working perfect! I thought it was a great deal at ~$17 each but now they are ~$13 each on rockauto.

So.. It looks like the vdo sensors have a 8 digit hex codes stamped on them. The quickset software isn't happy, it says 6 digits hex, or 8 digit decimal. Some people online are saying they had success removing the first 2 hex digits, but I don't have the sensors installed yet to test, just thinking ahead.

Did you have the same problem?

So.. It looks like the vdo sensors have a 8 digit hex codes stamped on them. The quickset software isn't happy, it says 6 digits hex, or 8 digit decimal. Some people online are saying they had success removing the first 2 hex digits, but I don't have the sensors installed yet to test, just thinking ahead.

Did you have the same problem?

I did not have any issues with the VDO sensors and the ATEQ Quickset and my sensors all had 8 digit codes. I recall there is a toggle between hex and decimal in the UI on the computer. I fired up the little laptop I use for programming it just now and the VDO sensors are all entered as decimal and not hex. The new ones are all 7 digit numbers plus a leading zero.

Two good ideas..

Some sensors have the ID's printed on them, but I don't think all sensors are like that. I'm looking at some on rockauto for my car right now that are completely unmarked.

One more good idea....postpone the purchase of a new car as long as possible so you don't have to deal with this.

One more good idea....postpone the purchase of a new car as long as possible so you don't have to deal with this.

Or buy a new car with indirect tpms system. Normal rubber valve stems, reads off the abs system. I still haven't figured out why this wasn't the norm.