LegacyGT.com

Unidentified part sitting on the metal below the air filter box..

Hi all, I just bought a 98 outback. The car is really clean and has been running great. I have a check engine light that comes on intermittently but seems to be coming on less often as I drive it more. The other day I replaced a

Turn signal bulb and noticed a piece

Of metal sitting right below the air filter box and to the

Left of the power steering reservoir. Pictures attached, just wondering if someone knows what this is or if I have problems coming in the near future . Thank you in advance

so here's a picture of the long bolt I'm assuming you were talking about and the backside of the area. I can't seem to find the bolt that this nut attaches too. could someone please explain further or possibly take a picture of where this nut is supposed to be? I would really appreciate it a lot thank you guys!!

WIN_20181011_10_09_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.9e7d905199fe0a7765d314b674eb20b0.jpg

IMG_0036.thumb.jpg.7601e1c4c8f5662ea7413a4d369f5fc9.jpg

The long bolt in question is horizontal front to rear on the right of the alternator (when you stand there and look at it) and the left of the A/C compressor. Most of it is hidden inside the big cast aluminum bracket. It forms the pivot for the alternator, and the bolt you pictured is the tension adjusting bolt for the alternator.

ok I looked at the correct bolt and it does have a nut on the back of it but it is just a regular nut, not one with wings on it. a spark plug wire runs directly above where the nut is on the bolt and it doesn't really look like there is room for the one with wings on it if I was to switch the nuts. thanks for having patience with me if i'm completely off base here. also I have no idea how that nut would have ended up where I found it, its really strange. thank you!

o I have no idea how that nut would have ended up where I found it, its really strange. thank you!

I would be willing to bet that whomever changed the alternator last set the nut down and couldn't find it again when it was time to put it all back together and just found one they had lying around to get the job done. I'm not sure how the plug wire would prevent the correct one from fitting. Could you add a picture of that?

Archived