LegacyGT.com

A New Free Map Update is Available For Your 2018+ Subaru

Just got an email today notifying me of this:

A SUBARU STARLINK™ navigation and software update is available for your vehicle. Take advantage of the latest maps available and improve your driving experience. Roads change daily and points of interest are added regularly. Ensure you not only have the best routing available, but also save time.

This update is completely free as part of the 3 year complimentary map subscription included with your vehicle.

Please note that this is a onetime notification. Follow the instructions to create an account, download the update and ensure you are registered for future updates. Your radio presets might be lost after this update. Please contact your retailer if you have any issues with the process.

I have done the software update in the past, but finding the files was the challenge. Where do we find the two files needed for this newest update? Any idea what this update addresses??

Map update is different from software update. At least that was the case till MY17. Don't think it changed in MY18 but I could be wrong.

I thought the maps were supposed to download automatically over wifi. Of course, they don't but they're supposed to if wifi is enabled and connected to your house network. Why do they bother with this if it doesn't work?

So this is how it works, you log in to https://subaru-maps.com/ (have to register)

You download the map downloader app after you enter your vehicle VIN #.

After that you will need an USB drive of at least 16GB space, you download the map update to the drive and then go to your car and insert it in the USB drive under the nav and there ya go.

Stupid stupid stupid system...but whatever works...

Okay, after updating to the latest version the volume up and down circle is way bigger, also the rear of the screen gets dimmer when you use volume up and down. Other than that, not many changes...at least that I noticed.

Does anyone have any release notes?

So this is how it works, you log in to https://subaru-maps.com/ (have to register)

You download the map downloader app after you enter your vehicle VIN #.

After that you will need an USB drive of at least 16GB space, you download the map update to the drive and then go to your car and insert it in the USB drive under the nav and there ya go.

Stupid stupid stupid system...but whatever works...

I have successfully downloaded the map update to a USB drive. Now what? I have inserted it in the USB port but nothing happens. I can't find anything pertaining to Map updates in the menus except the wifi update setting which connects to my house network but doesn't do anything. How do I launch the update from the USB drive? The Subaru website where I got the download doesn't help. It just tells you how to download the update but not what to do with it. This just seems needlessly confusing.

Update: I found a YouTube video explaining the process for the 2018 Legacy and I have now (apparently) successfully updated my maps although the process did not complete with any confirmation. It just rebooted. There was a warning at the outset that the radio presets would be lost but they weren't. They are all still there and this would be a good thing if I was sure the process completed properly but, as I said, there was no confirmation. I checked the map update level on the car and it matches the download (USA Canada and Mexico_991_6759_9121) so that's a good sign. We will be taking a short trip tomorrow so if there's any issues with the system we'll find out.

• 1 month later...
I have successfully downloaded the map update to a USB drive. Now what? I have inserted it in the USB port but nothing happens. I can't find anything pertaining to Map updates in the menus except the wifi update setting which connects to my house network but doesn't do anything. How do I launch the update from the USB drive? The Subaru website where I got the download doesn't help. It just tells you how to download the update but not what to do with it. This just seems needlessly confusing.

Update: I found a YouTube video explaining the process for the 2018 Legacy and I have now (apparently) successfully updated my maps although the process did not complete with any confirmation. It just rebooted. There was a warning at the outset that the radio presets would be lost but they weren't. They are all still there and this would be a good thing if I was sure the process completed properly but, as I said, there was no confirmation. I checked the map update level on the car and it matches the download (USA Canada and Mexico_991_6759_9121) so that's a good sign. We will be taking a short trip tomorrow so if there's any issues with the system we'll find out.

Let the dealer do update since they were updating the HU anyway. XM presets stayed but lost all the regular AM and FM presets.

Archived