LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Yes, OEM HIDs. I opened them up, flipped the shield and carefully flattened them to get a very sharp cutoff. I'll provide some pics I took.

And yeah, I was amazed that I was able to score on the nose cut with the same color, very very few scratches, and LOCAL!! Got a super crazy deal on that thing. No need to paint for now. My hood is even in way worse shape than the fenders and bumper :rolleyes:.

I've been basically trying to give away my third gen JDM facelift front end locally, so I believe it! It looks awesome.

I've been basically trying to give away my third gen JDM facelift front end locally, so I believe it! It looks awesome.

Thanks man.

So I basically finished everything today. I need to wash her now. Did my first test drive this evening. Man, these HID headlights are nice! And yep, I did get flashed already :lol:. So I found a safe spot and manually lowered the headlight beams a bit. Quick and dirty adjustment for now. I will do a proper adjustment later though.

I finally broke down mentally and installed a downpipe and flashed Cobb OTS Stg2 on Friday.

After reading all of the rave reviews of "this is how the car should have come from the factory" and such I have to say that on the ol' butt dyno it actually feels slower, but running a lower load at speed uphill and improved gas mileage say otherwise. So far it also looks like the motor runs much smoother on stg 2.

It's just funny that acceleration is so much smoother with the downpipe that it feels less punchy.

Just figured I'd post my $.02

EDIT: Is this what MSprank was talking about when he told me "stay stock, stay happy"?

Edited by Outback2.5XT-05

Interesting my Stage 2 felt a huge difference over stock. I went eTune though not OTS Cobb.

Stage 1 was a HUGE difference over stock for me.

So far on Stg2 I did notice the engine revs more free and smoother though I haven't hammered on it too much yet.

It could be that the "boost lurch" is just more spread out since boost rolls on with less throttle and earlier and so that "turbo kick" is less abrupt. Also, I'm on 5eat and I'm sure that's soaking up some of the power...

Edited by Outback2.5XT-05

Tonight I removed the crush washer I opted to install on the downpipe 2nd 02 bung plug. The excess turbine noise is now mostly gone. I don't understand how just steel threads can seal exhaust gas but the crush washer was obviously the wrong idea.

After removing the washer I took it for a ride and stomped on her pretty good. It is a bit quicker overall, but I still say that the OTS Stg2 isn't as drastic of a leap as stock to Stg 1 on the stock 5EAT automatic trans.

On Stg1 my car went from gutless to "turbo-mode" between 2500-3000 RPM.

On Stg2 it now accelerates in a more linear fashion, almost as an N/A motor might.

Upon reflection that turbo "lurch" was one of the things I initially disliked about the car but grew to enjoy...

Which means Stage 2 FTW:wub:

I initially went AP Stage 2 and like you, thought it was not that big of a jump. Smoother, more linear, and slightly more top end

But the significant change was when I had it dyno-tuned and used to advantage changes I had made, i.e., TMIC, large COP w/P&P manifolds, GS HVUP, etc., that I really noticed the difference.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just letting everyone (with a manual transmission know) cobb finally dropped thier flex fuel kit for us!

We are so happy to see this and cant wait to get the lgt's and fxts all calibrated on one map that can do it all without any worries of blending or content etc. More E content = more power, simple as that.

We are running a blast of a deal here - https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cryotune-cobb-flexfuel-etune-and-dyno-pricing-276618.html

really sorry to see that the auto was not announced and may not be :( but they had hinted at that from the beginning....only time will tell.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Here are two links explaining some info about the new flex fuel release in terms of what it is, how it works and what it can and cannot do. As with all my writeups, you are asked to post your questions there rather than pm me so everyone can benefit...Hope this helps

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cobb-flex-fuel-and-you-why-and-much-276632.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cobb-custom-features-and-you-even-without-flexfuel-enabled-276622.html

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Came across a set of 235/55r17 Michelin iceX for a good deal 6/32nds left so they'll last one more winter. Picking them up from CL add tomorrow.

Normally I'd like to go down a a size in width and up a size in sidewall, but these will do the job.

Usually when your starter is making noise, it's also cranking the engine.

That sounds more like a low battery, corroded terminals, or a bad connection to your starter.

Is your alternator putting out a proper charge? Probably a good idea to check all of that, pull the starter and use the walk-through to disassemble and lube your starter.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

what exhaust? I've put the stock muffs on a few times before road trips, but not every time; hashtag lazy. Did the radiator pop? Mine died last year on the way home from work a few days before a road trip, thank frakin goodness. dodged a bullet.

I haven't seen an OBXT in LA in more months than I can count, except for a brief sighting of Cruisemobile2, so we should meet up. That's assuming you aren't on the opposite side of LA, because I'm lazy wanna hang out with my kids before they become annoying teenagers and are annoyed to be around me.

Yeah, it started leaking from the plastic/metal seam. Koyo dropped right in and is doing great! The exhaust is a generic Amazon exhaust for $300. My thought is to get something that I could use as a basis to change mufflers/resonators/tips on. It's not too bad. It's relatively quiet, but it drones at around 2700-3200. Btu the drone was the least of my worries, as the roadtrip didn't go so well...

I was going from Los Angeles to New Mexico, so it was a roughly 800 mile drive each way. At some point, I sprung a leak on the right side of the motor, and it was leaking oil on the header/uppipe. I didn't discover the leak until I got to NM. I didn't drive it for the week while I was there, but on the ride home, the leak got worse and worse, to the point of me adding a quart of oil every 15 miles. It was a very stressful drive home, sitting in Thanksgiving weekend traffic. But we made it, and I have the parts to replace the valve cover gaskets, and we'll go from there. Hopefully that's it.

PM'ing you about meeting up in LA somewhere!

Yeah, it started leaking from the plastic/metal seam. Koyo dropped right in and is doing great! The exhaust is a generic Amazon exhaust for $300. My thought is to get something that I could use as a basis to change mufflers/resonators/tips on. It's not too bad. It's relatively quiet, but it drones at around 2700-3200. Btu the drone was the least of my worries, as the roadtrip didn't go so well...

I was going from Los Angeles to New Mexico, so it was a roughly 800 mile drive each way. At some point, I sprung a leak on the right side of the motor, and it was leaking oil on the header/uppipe. I didn't discover the leak until I got to NM. I didn't drive it for the week while I was there, but on the ride home, the leak got worse and worse, to the point of me adding a quart of oil every 15 miles. It was a very stressful drive home, sitting in Thanksgiving weekend traffic. But we made it, and I have the parts to replace the valve cover gaskets, and we'll go from there. Hopefully that's it.

PM'ing you about meeting up in LA somewhere!

Ouch!

Been there with a VW 63 Westfalia on our way with a JetSki in the back and one on a trailer. Cracked the block on the way to San Luis Reservoir from the East Bay and decided to add oil to make it there and back. Then my buddy went nuts, built a rockin motor and sold it 5 years later like a dumb ass. Going to send a video of one right now to rub it in.

Nice to hear you made it back!

Yeah. Sounds like low battery to me and/or poor connection at the battery terminals. Do you have a voltmeter? If voltage is around 12.35V, then next step is make sure the connections are good.

Yep, just low battery. Jumped it and it started fine. The battery isn't that old. Although I don't think it's that old, maybe 5 years. Autozone Duralast Gold.

Holy Sheep!

Let us know how the fix goes.

And for the record, lil'redwagon and I are ~40 miles apart, lol. That's like 2 days in LA traffic...

Samsies -in bay area traffic. San Jose might as well be a different state.

Edited by Rhitter

Yep, just low battery. Jumped it and it started fine. The battery isn't that old. Although I don't think it's that old, maybe 5 years. Autozone Duralast Gold.

The battery is probably still OK. My guess is a slow drain. How long did the car stay parked?

The battery is probably still OK. My guess is a slow drain. How long did the car stay parked?

It had been a long time. 6 weeks since I drove it any distance. Probably 6ish 3 to 5 min trips. In the last 12 days I moved it from the street to the driveway.

So easily could be a slow drain or maybe my alternator isn't able to charge it during a bunch of short trips.