LegacyGT.com

Best all-season tire for snow on the 2017?

LinuxJon

Hey guys,

So winter is almost here. I live in a warmer climate (Fresno), but we are less than an hour from snow in the mountains. I go up there frequently, and really need new tires that hopefully can handle mountain roads without chains.

I would just get winter tires, but I assume driving them all week on 60 degree dry roads would be bad all winter. Therefore, what is the best snow-traction all-season for our cars?

I would never presume to tell you which is "best". Its like people arguing "who's better, Batman, or Superman". Major tire sites all have tire comparisons with number ratings for various conditions, dry/snow/etc. Look at those sites and make your choice based on what you want to spend.

Also, in my opinion, buying from a site like Tire Rack is not the best choice even though the tires are cheaper. If you buy local, most (all?) shops will give you free rotation and sometimes balance for life of tire. One rotation free rotation generally makes up for the lower web cost.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is the best all use option out there that's optimized for winter use. It's one of the top couple winter tires on the market (I liked the old Extreme Winter Contact a little better in the snow). It's also a very good all-season tire. It's only real limitation is its single ply sidewall which is unavoidably flexy. It's not bad at all with the larger wheels Subaru's now using. It's no summer tire. However, it's very competent overall in all weather. I have a set of Xi3s on my Legacy, and I've had them on through two summers and now into my 3rd winter on the same set of tires. They wear extremely well, and the compound holds up extremely well to loading forces and don't seem to chunk and tear apart.

About the only thing I'd like is a sport version exactly identical in all ways except the addition of a second sidewall ply for handling and speed rating. In terms of an all-weather tire and strong dry road and summer use, that's the only gain I'd like to see. This doesn't mean the stock tire as they are now are bad. It's purely the limitation of a single sidewall. It's noticeable when you compare against performance winter tires that do have that sidewall change. The only problem with the performance models is the compound is much harder and much less grippy on ice. I've used the LM-25 and M3 sport winters. That's the biggest loss with harder compounds. Generally soft compounds don't last though nor hold up well to higher loading forces. The Blizzaks have historically not held up well at all for wear, comparatively. Michelin's rubber compound is pretty remarkable for winter compliance and wear resistance, definitely a market leader, and I use a variety of products summer and winter including Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Continental. I'm a huge fan of Bridgestone for summer and huge fan of Michelin for winter.

All weather(NOT all season) tires would likely be a good option for you.

I've owned Nokian WRG3's for a previous car that I used strictly as winter tires here in Central Canada. They performed admirably. Not as good as dedicated winter tires but far better than any all season I'd ever used.

After a terrible winter driving experience with some Pirelli P4s on my wife's Forester, I got some Michelin Premier A/S, and they have been great. We drove (sanely) through a blizzard from NY back to NC a couple of years ago, and I barely felt any slip over the 300+ miles of snowy roads. By far the best all-season tires I've every had.

All weather(NOT all season) tires would likely be a good option for you.

Sadly, most folks in the lower 48 wouldn't know the difference. The re designation from 3 season to all season made people assume that they are all weather tires.

OP, I've heard folks speak great things about the Conti DWS, both here and on other forums. That may be a good choice for your need.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is the best all use option out there that's optimized for winter use. It's one of the top couple winter tires on the market (I liked the old Extreme Winter Contact a little better in the snow). It's also a very good all-season tire. It's only real limitation is its single ply sidewall which is unavoidably flexy. It's not bad at all with the larger wheels Subaru's now using. It's no summer tire. However, it's very competent overall in all weather. I have a set of Xi3s on my Legacy, and I've had them on through two summers and now into my 3rd winter on the same set of tires. They wear extremely well, and the compound holds up extremely well to loading forces and don't seem to chunk and tear apart.

This is really encouraging. So you haven't noticed poor performance in warm weather in the summer on the X-Ice rubber? Can you tell me where you live, for reference? How do they seem to handle rain in warmer weather?

For the people mentioning DWS- I actually drove a pair of these in Detroit on my last RWD car. Definitely not a bad tire. I don't love that they are only 10/32 in depth though. Seems like the snow life won't be great past when they are brand new?

The wifes 18 Legacy sport wore its stock tires last winter (western Pa.) And we have a steep long driveway and she didn't have any problems. Her 12 had dedicated winter tires and went anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

the correct answer is winter tires are the best choice

personally I have had no issues with the Bridgestone EL200s that were stock on my car or the Bridgestone Serenity's that replaced them at 40K.

the key to safe driving is not to over drive conditions and with all seasons you are not going to have the same abilities as dedicated winter tires.

Some people do use the Michelin Xi3 all year long, but is not really a good idea. Michelin does not endorse that practice, and their mileage warranty requires that you have proof of the dates when the tires are removed at the end of winter and installed at the beginning of winter.

Additionally, studlesss tires like the Xi3, WS80, etc have very long braking distances on wet pavement, compared to all season tires and summer tires, and hydroplane at lower speeds.

...And, even worse, some motorists decide to keep their winter tires on as temperatures rise.

That is "as dangerous as using summer tires in winter," Carl Nadeau, a race car driver and instructor with 20 years of experience, said last week during a demonstration by Michelin.

"The rubber compound gets so soft because it is meant to stay soft when it is cold. In warmer weather, it is not designed to cope so the rubber gets so soft that it pretty much disintegrates in some situations," he said.

When it is a lot warmer, like 30 degC, the rubber will marble — which will cause it to form balls and roll under the wheel. "That is very dangerous," Nadeau said...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Winter+tires+dangerous+warmer+weather/9809396/story.html

Archived