LegacyGT.com

My LV does weird things sometimes - LV's attached

Squib308

For some reason I can't figure out, my LV's are good, they're basically stable over a few hundred miles, then ... The lowest two ranges just freak out, and go toward the bottom end of the scale.

Usually all I do, is take the MAF off, clean it (it shouldn't have to be cleaned every 500 miles with a paper filter!), inspect the air filter, put it all back together, and my Scoober feels like I care about it, and the LV's return to normal fairly quickly.

Doesn't Always work - sometimes I have to swap out the paper filter for a K&N filter, or the other way, K&N for the paper filter.

I've pressure tested the intake, seems good, I've checked the O-rings on the intercooler and things that attach to it. Look good.

I just don't understand why this happens, and why it goes away for a while, then comes back, etc.

I think the file names and dates speak for themselves. Like I said, it can go the other way too, I can swap from a K&N that has LV's around -10% - -14% (usually the lowest two airflow ranges), back to the same paper filter I keep using (it's clean and good), and the values will fairly quickly hread back in the direction of +/- 0%.

I pressure tested, I checked for vacuum leaks, I _did_ read the various threads that sort-of explain how I could be loosing air, even though it's under vacuum, but I don't really understand how that's possible.

How about if the vacuum line to the BPV valve was kinked & didn't function?

How about the main 'return line' from the BPV? if it was cracked? I inspected for that, but might have missed something.

Failing o2 sensor? Failing MAF?

Thanks, this is one of those 'doesn't make sense because I don't understand why it's doing this' things.

2006 LGT, catless UP, catless down, cryotune, 5mt. Has dog hairs.

1567033410_BtSsm_LV_20180920.png.firstnoticedeverythingwasoff.png.6dbffe14b9f2730c36bdd5bdc4eb2de9.png

223926174_BtSsm_LV_20180930.png.aftercheckingintercooler.png.a5bad4b4e85fe1fb12b27fc764796efc.png

1655623627_BtSsm_LV_20181004.png.afterrecheckingfilterhoses.png.a0a9bda4d817c1bc19f7262e522a1afd.png

2130290448_BtSsm_LV_20181004.png.swappedpaperforKN.png.1d7327019599cffabd651291fca2abfd.png

Erk, that sounds a little more difficult to fix, compared to throwing in a new MAF, or O2 sensor. That would make sense, though, why it comes and goes, and tends to 'get fixed' when I clean the MAF, etc.

I'll do some digging around, see what I can find re: MAF wiring harness.

Thanks for the suggestion

The grounds are an easy place to start that can cause all kinds of craziness like this. A strap from the bottom of each head to the frame rails.

Given the fact that it goes away when you mess with the MAF, the MAF wiring does seem likely.

I did not read everything on this thread, but I have suffered from this a lot in the past. The cause was essentially the MAF wiring harness, or the connection was loose/poor/dirty at the MAF.

An easy test to perform is have the engine run, idle, hood opened, take your phone with you, stare at the fuel correct, and afr gauges on btssm; then wiggle the MAF wire particularly close to the MAF sensor and see if it acts up. In my case, as soon as I was touching the wire, the AF correct gauge started to fluctuate. You may also hear the idle rpm change. Have fun!

I did not read everything on this thread, but I have suffered from this a lot in the past. The cause was essentially the MAF wiring harness, or the connection was loose/poor/dirty at the MAF.

An easy test to perform is have the engine run, idle, hood opened, take your phone with you, stare at the fuel correct, and afr gauges on btssm; then wiggle the MAF wire particularly close to the MAF sensor and see if it acts up. In my case, as soon as I was touching the wire, the AF correct gauge started to fluctuate. You may also hear the idle rpm change. Have fun!

Cool, I did notice that there is like a green rubber surround thing, and it was getting kind of jammed up in the connection. I gently prodded it to where I think is a good place with a screwdriver and connected the MAF up.

Of course at some point I started the car without the MAF plugged in & it threw check engine light at me, so I reset the ECU to get it to chill out. So far so good. I also sprayed some electrical contact cleaner stuff on both the MAF and the harness.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the input! I was fiddling with intercooler gaskets, and checking for leaks in odd spots, wondering about my O2 sensors... A poorly fitting MAF connection makes a whole lot more sense.

(I shoulda just asked you all months ago and saved myself the frustration & confusion, putting old filter in, put new filter in, put K&N filter in, rinse, cycle, repeat :p)

A few days driving around, trying a little bit to keep it in closed loop when possible. Looking good. I'm hoping it will also take care of some intermittent knocks while in CL low to medium load. My thought is that it was pulling fuel, and running lean at times.

See how it goes over the next few months, but I might be on the right track. Would make sense.

1719403358_BtSsm_LV_20181007_1703.png.wiringharnessbetter.png.7286098795bc2ab4aa32b762bd5cdb80.png

• 1 month later...
I hope that is it though. Or else, you'll have to continue chasing the gremlins!

Looking forward to your report.

It's been a month or two, and so far the LV's have maintained themselves coherently.

I really appreciate the tip, because I was flummoxed. It was just like everything was fine, then some random deal caused the LV's to freak out. I'll exercise caution in the future with the MAF. (I also applied some 'repair tape' like stuff to the wiring harness to keep all the wires in place)

That is great to hear!

I recall that, in my case, I zip tied the MAF wiring harness a little after the MAF to make sure the harness cannot move at all.

I've also created custom fields a long time ago in BtSsm, so that I can view my long term fuel trims at all times, so I don't need to pull LVs all the time.

Might be a good idea to replace the harness connector and last 0.5-1 inch of the wiring with a kit from iwire. Cheap, easy, fast permanent fix.

Works great, zero issues with the shielding and a perfect MAF and IAT signal.

Zip tie the new wire as xt2005bobon said and it will last and work better than OE.

I've also created custom fields a long time ago in BtSsm, so that I can view my long term fuel trims at all times, so I don't need to pull LVs all the time.

Awesome! Can you provide info on setting up those fields?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Its all outlined in BtSsm threads.

Basically grab latest logger defs XML from RR forum

Work with STD EN flavor

Parse it (Notepad++ highly recommended) and look for standard SSM params toward the top (Pxxx PIDs)

Find Fuel Trim A-D param definitions

Setup to match in BtSsm

Its all outlined in BtSsm threads.

Basically grab latest logger defs XML from RR forum

Work with STD EN flavor

Parse it (Notepad++ highly recommended) and look for standard SSM params toward the top (Pxxx PIDs)

Find Fuel Trim A-D param definitions

Setup to match in BtSsm

Relative4, are these instructions sufficient? Keep in mind though that these four fields are 'costly'. Meaning, it does affect a bit how many additional params you can view live. Here is my latest screenshot to give you an idea of what I view on my 06.

Screenshot_20181122-100522.thumb.png.8ba0b66af1b1a2f76fc9a7c625323d13.png

That is great to hear!

I recall that, in my case, I zip tied the MAF wiring harness a little after the MAF to make sure the harness cannot move at all.

That's a good idea; currently I have a reminder set up on my calendar to check it every (x) days.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of threadjacking, I finally set up the fields xt2005bonbon was talking about. A/F Learning #1 A through D are PIDs E44-E47. To get the addresses for those PIDs, you need to look up your ECU ID in those sections of the document. Once you have the addresses, set up custom fields in BtSsm with the following configuration:

Length 4

Float yes

Formula x*100

Dec places 2

324231965_Fieldconfig.thumb.jpg.1ea2f710647b9e3b349df2758a8b6470.jpg

If I try to display more than 3 custom fields at a time, BtSsm jams up, so I just display A-C, which is fine cause D is usually zero anyway.

1364909632_BtSsmdisplay.thumb.jpg.6096c26ddf5373c2becb71322b088129.jpg

Cool, man, good for you. It's not the most straightforward process to figure out. I actually was thinking this weekend if I had time, I'd try to explain it the best I could for ya.

I think the most confusing part, for me, was say in BTSSM LV screen, says my ECU is one thing (A2WF200N) (also people save their ROM files with that sort of name frequently), but searching in the XML files _NO HITS!?_ - because it gets decoded by another program as something else, a long number that has nothing to do with the other ECU 'ID' I thought it was.

It'd be cool if there was a program of some sort, that would scan the XML files and report all the things you could log, and their addresses, and whatnot. It's alright though, I got what I need. you got what you need - everyone's happy.

Hence the diff between ECUID or TCUID and their corresponding CIDs/CALIDs (Calibration IDs).

For known ECUIDs, RomRaider's logger and BtSsm do exactly that - they'll scan their known logger addresses and respectively either show what can be logged or set the memory addresses for the basic fields to what's applicable for a given car... allowing you to add more as you see fit.

Maybe I'm just being dumb here, but for BtSSM, I wanted 'knock count' field, and I had to deduce it from the .XML file, and input a 'custom field'.

I haven't used Romraider to talk to my ECU in a long time - no laptop - so it's a pain. If I could use RR to figure out all those optional things, and make custom fields for ones I want in BtSSM, that'd be cool. Helpful. Easier than finding what I want in the XML files.

I am 100% certain there was no 'knock count' field I could choose in BtSSM, I had to create it.

Am I missing something? I should be on the latest version...

Maybe I'm just being dumb here, but for BtSSM, I wanted 'knock count' field, and I had to deduce it from the .XML file, and input a 'custom field'.

I haven't used Romraider to talk to my ECU in a long time - no laptop - so it's a pain. If I could use RR to figure out all those optional things, and make custom fields for ones I want in BtSSM, that'd be cool. Helpful. Easier than finding what I want in the XML files.

I am 100% certain there was no 'knock count' field I could choose in BtSSM, I had to create it.

Am I missing something? I should be on the latest version...

Not sure how you get to "dumb" or "missing something". You're correct, knock sum does not ship with the BtSsm configuration. It must be defined using PID E114, found at 0xFF5CEC for some ECUs. Sounds like you did that, so what's the issue?

If I try to display more than 3 custom fields at a time, BtSsm jams up, so I just display A-C, which is fine cause D is usually zero anyway.

I don't know if you noticed, but when you select your fields to view/log, a thin green horizontal bar should show up at the top of your screen. The bar length will grow as you select additional params. Some params use more memory than others. So, you can play the games of which one to view and so on. And yeah, if the bar length maxes out, then BtSsm jams up.

Archived