LegacyGT.com

Subaru liberty 1997 ez30 engine and tranny swap

mikehakaraia274

I want to put an ez30r into my 97 liberty and i was wandering if anyone has any information that might be useful to know before i lock everything in and start my build.

Am having difficulty deciding which manual transmission would be the best for the amount of torque the motor produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Well, that's one option, but less interesting to learn from.

I want to put an ez30r into my 97 liberty and i was wandering if anyone has any information that might be useful to know before i lock everything in and start my build.

Am having difficulty deciding which manual transmission would be the best for the amount of torque the motor produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd pick a 6-speed from a later model year given that it can mate with the engine. Just make sure that the rear diff has the correct ratio - or better get both gearbox and diff in a package.

The STi DCCD transmission would be even nicer if you can find it.

453747.png

STI DCCD would be "cool" but seems to me it would be kind of wasted on the EZ30 unless significantly tuned, and even at that, I don't know how much more you could really wring out of that platform. The tuner support just hasn't ever really been there to know what it's capable of and what to do with it.

Still a fun project and a good bump for that platform if it fits.

Archived