LegacyGT.com

Turbo whining and no power

Hey everyone, I’ve been trying to do some research to see if anyone else has came across the same problem I’m having.. randomly at 70mph my bone stock 05 legacy gt made a awefull phssst sound and now I have no power no turbo.. I also didn’t see any smoke and was able to limp it the 10 more minutes that it took me to get to work.. the car would struggle to get to 3,000 rpms and whine the entire time. I’m hoping my intercooler hose popped off and my turbo is still ok.

Can any one point me to the correct thread or possibly let me know if they have experienced this themselves and/or know what happened.?

Thanks in advance!

were you by any chance in 5th gear at 70mph and tried flooring it? It could easily cause a spike in boost and can cause the throttle body/IC hose to slip off the TB. Check that, replace it with an upgraded hose or at least T-bone hose clamps as soon as you can even if it’s not the issue right now. It will happen in the future.

Did you get a check engine light/cruise control flashing?

Yes I was in fifth speeding up and no check engine light or cruise control flashing. I’m currently out of town for work and will be a few days till I get home to really check everything out. We’re you talking about this hose?

grimmspeed-black-top-mount-intercooler-turbo-outlet-hose-wrx-2008-2014-legacy-gt-2005-2009-impre.jpg.ffabc5ea4aa06f7bbd9c5890e6c3e83c.jpg

Also check the blue vacuum t that is known to come off. Will cause the same issue with no power and rough running. The factory blue t does not have a barbed end and comes off quite easily. You can buy upgraded ones from a member here that is metal and has barbed ends.

So finally found the correct throttle body to intercooler hose I’m ordering that and a catless uppipe. Not that the uppipe is the problem but it would become a problem.

Starionesir the blue vacuum tee is there a diagram or picture to point me where this may be located so I can check that out as well?

So finally found the correct throttle body to intercooler hose I’m ordering that and a catless uppipe. Not that the uppipe is the problem but it would become a problem.

Starionesir the blue vacuum tee is there a diagram or picture to point me where this may be located so I can check that out as well?

It is right under the intercooler when you remove it.

Have you checked to ensure that is the problem? Also you don't need to buy a new hose your OEM hose is fine just remove the rubber boots in both ends, wipe away any oil on the TB inlet and IC outlet and tighten the clamp down it wont blow again. If you didn't hear what sounds like a goose under you hood that porb isn't the issue anyway. I would start by checking the various boost control connections, if they are all fine move on to post turbo pre TB plumbing.

Check your IC it may have blown one of the endtank crimp seals and is blowing pressurized air causing the noise you described.

No I’m honestly unsure of what the actual problem is I haven’t had time to look at it or diagnose it. Had to park it and leave town for work.. so as u can imagine I’ve been doing a lot of reading and just wondering what if it’s this or that..and man it could be a few different things. I won’t be able to actually look at it till Friday when I get back in town. Ik I pulled the trigger on a new hose that I probably don’t really have to have but now it’s on the way why not just replace it. And I’ve been wanting to replace the uppipe as well so I got one of those too..

I will diffently keep y’all up to date on what going on when I get back Friday maybe a video and/or some pictures.. I really appreciate everyone’s help up here and how quickly y’all have responded thank you!

No I’m honestly unsure of what the actual problem is I haven’t had time to look at it or diagnose it. Had to park it and leave town for work.. so as u can imagine I’ve been doing a lot of reading and just wondering what if it’s this or that..and man it could be a few different things. I won’t be able to actually look at it till Friday when I get back in town. Ik I pulled the trigger on a new hose that I probably don’t really have to have but now it’s on the way why not just replace it. And I’ve been wanting to replace the uppipe as well so I got one of those too..

I will diffently keep y’all up to date on what going on when I get back Friday maybe a video and/or some pictures.. I really appreciate everyone’s help up here and how quickly y’all have responded thank you!

No problem and not to press you, but I hope you didnt buy the hose shown in the picture :confused:

Part of your problem could be what is discussed in this thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/boost-leaki-weird-noise-after-flashing-stage-1-236591.html

That is what your stock TB to IC hose looks like.

Other part could be the tee has blown off. Could be a failed/failing turbo, could be a bad connection btwn your turbo and IC or IC blown or IC to TB.

Once you get back and take a look it will clear up a lot of worries you may have and help us to help you :)

Hey guys so here’s the thing I’ve popped the hood and took the intercooler off checked the BLUE TEE it’s fine but the I/c hose was loose took it off wiped it down and put everything back together and tight! And still no good!

I took the downpipe off and there’s quite a bit of shaft play!! But still spins freely..

I was having trouble loading in pictures or videos.. I will try to load them again a little later..

That turbo is gone but that is one manner in which these turbos fail, the other being oil starvation, shaft seizing and taking out the rest. That amount of play and you catching it now is great luck. Mine failed in a similar way except it was leaking oil out the journal and smoking up a storm. I replaced it with a used low mileage VF46 last summer and no problems since.

Drop your oil and run a magnet through it for excessive metal, if none, replace the turbo with a 40 or 46 which ever you can find for the better price. Its an 05 LGT unless you love it don't let it destroy your bank account, you can get into a far superior sedan for the cost of a rebuild at this point in time

So for an update I got a new turbo (vf46) and I’ve finally gotten around to taking the old turbo out.. also found I need to replace the turbo inlet.. so might as well replace it while the old turbo is out (easier to get to that way and so is the uppipe) here are some pictures of the old turbo..

I also drained the oil and there wasn’t any metal shavings in the oil! Thank You God! I won’t be able to install everything until not this coming up week but the following week due to my job.. I will continue to keep y’all posted and in the mean time I’m in need of a new inlet hose..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QbnpKJw8KGJcUXF86

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so I finally got a few days off of work and I installed the new uppipe new turbo(vf46) slightly use inlet hose and intake.. I found a few vacuum leaks after the 1st test drive wish I didn’t get far lol. But now I’m having another issue.. I’ll post a video of it but it seems to be like a duck/fan noise.. maybe a rattling noise at higher rpms but not at idle and when at high rpms and I put the clutch in it goes away.. no check engine light!!

The noise is around the 20sec and 30sec in the video. I also just noticed a light came on right before I shifted from first to 2nd.. not sure what light that was..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXtcuYivdtbiUfb7A

That is a vibration. Did you leave a bolt out of the UP bracket for the turbo heat shield? Feel around he UP, the IC and turbo to make sure there is no metal on metal contact or close gaps. I had a similar issue when swapping turbos b/c i forgot to install the IC bracket bolts it was only attached to the turbo and th TB but not the bracket itself

Archived