LegacyGT.com

GT to non GT tranny swap (both auto)

Just got an 06 and I have a setup for an 07 GT.

Tranny is starting to slip and the other one has 137k vs 239k.

I know I'll need the rear diff and I'm not sure how the fronts work on these, I come from a jeep background.

Also what type of project is this? Is it a simple swap with rear end change or am I looking into a major work with the diff, tranny, steering wheel, whiter etc. Also is the computer going to need to be changed or flashed?

Most threads are auto to manual and older so I figured maybe some insight changed.

Thank you

I'd imagine you would get a lot of errors with that kind of swap.

Having such a large number of these cars around, it would save a lot of time and effort just finding a transmission from the same model and year.

Otherwise my other thought would be to put the transmissions side by side and try to see if you can just swap out the guts of the thing

Your original post is not very specific about what you have and what you want to put into it. . . but going off the thread title (non-gt trans into a GT):

Not gonna work in any practical/fiscally responsible sense.

Turbo and 6 cylinder subies have a 5 speed auto.

Non turbo 4 cyl cars have a 4 speed auto.

Totally different trans case, electronics, harnesses. . drive shafts, everything.

You could probably use a 6 cylinder trans in a GT but no way you're gonna go grab a 4EAT from a 2.5i and run it in a turbo car, or vice versa. .

First, looking for an answer in <4hrs is not a good expectation, especially for something that is pretty uncommon.

I'm confused which way you are going. Your title says from GT to non GT, but your first sentence indicates you have an '06 2.5i and tranny from a '07 GT which would indicate non-GT to GT. Can you help clarify? Do you have a GT or 2.5i?

The 2.5i (non-GT) tranny is a 4EAT, the GT tranny is a 5EAT; just looking them up on car101.com they are pretty different in operation. So I would suspect it's not a trivial swap, but I've never tried to do it, so can't comment with any authority.

If you scroll down a bit, you can see the transmissions available, their ratios and options.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2006.html

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html

(Lockmedic beat me to it...)

So can anyone answer me this... now that I've asked enough people and looked further into it, I'll have all the parts to do the swap, but does the 5EAT require the turbo to run better?

As in because they're a taller gear set and the turbo providing more power to push the taller and extra gear, will it be pointless to go the route of a swap?

I've worked on jeeps where people wanted to do a auto to manual swap and it was so much work that I assume that with this car, I'd be better off to buy a new one rather than swap A-M

There is no subaru in any universe that I'm aware of that has a 5EAT behind a NA 2.5.

They always live behind turbocharged or 6 cyl motors whose engine management is radically different.

What this means is there is no off the shelf harness OR ECU that will work for whatever it is you're trying to do.

Could it be made to work?

Not in any practical sense.

It's not a matter of gear ratios, it's a matter of the shit you're trying to do is square peg/round hole type stuff.

If you've got a free 5EAT, sell it and use the funds to buy the correct 4EAT for the job.

There is no subaru in any universe that I'm aware of that has a 5EAT behind a NA 2.5.

They always live behind turbocharged or 6 cyl motors whose engine management is radically different.

What this means is there is no off the shelf harness OR ECU that will work for whatever it is you're trying to do.

Could it be made to work?

Not in any practical sense.

It's not a matter of gear ratios, it's a matter of the shit you're trying to do is square peg/round hole type stuff.

If you've got a free 5EAT, sell it and use the funds to buy the correct 4EAT for the job.

See, that's all I wanted to know. I build jeeps, this is my first step in Subaru. Had a couple red/black top SR20 240sx's but nothing like and systems with these. Hated asking so forcefully but was in a time crunch because the seller had another buyer. Searching for this info brought back only auto-man swaps etc.

All good.

Pretty sure that's the first time it's been asked here so the next time it comes up maybe it'll show in a search.

I put a SOHC saturn motor into a DOHC chassis. Swapped the PCM, set everything up with my tech 2, wouldn't shift right.

Found out the SOHC and DOHC saturn engines use different transmissions and there's no factory flash that lets you use the trans designed for one in the other. Wrong number of teeth on a speed sensor reluctor or some such foolishness.

easy enough to fix as I had the trans the donor engine came from. Still had to spend 8 hrs extra swapping stuff and feeling foolish. . .but c'est la vie.

• 4 weeks later...

A 5EAT on a 2.5i would at least have the potential to work, but it might give some strange gear shifts.

Essentially what it should behave like is as if you disconnect the turbo from a turbo engine.

Then we have the matter of codes that could be thrown - there's the chance that it won't talk to the 2.5i and both engine and transmission ECUs would throw a lot of codes.

453747.png

Search and find the right transmission. You'll find them all over the place for not too much money. I bought a 4EAT for my 98 OB wagon for $185.00 with 68K on it.

Look in the partout sections and don't limit your searching to just this forum. There are a lot of other Subaru forums out there you can look at and find the exact thing you need.

Much better than trying to cobble something into place that won't work correctly and cost a lot of money and time.

Archived