LegacyGT.com

Cheapest time of year to buy a new Legacy?

I'm in eastern PA. The base models around here are in the $24k-$25k range but I see on cars.com that 100mi away they are $19k.

When I bought my new 17 Mustang GT w/PP, I drove to Koons down in Virginia and saved a solid $5k or so against the dealers up here. So I have no problem doing the same again for a new Legacy.

I see that Subaru is offering 0% APR on the outgoing 18's. But if I wait until around Chrismas, will the deals/pricing get even better? I also saw a thread in the pre-purchase forum about joining a club to get a VIP discount but the last reply in that thread was 3 years ago. Is that still a thing or does it not exist anymore?

We'd be either trading in my wife's 06 Legacy or selling it privately, but I'm not sure how Subaru does on trade ins whether they offer a fair deal or not.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Typically the end of the calendar year is a good time since dealers sell as many units as they can for accounting purposes and to get rid of inventory - and not as many people like to buy cars in the winter since as soon as you drive it off the lot it's going to get all nasty with slush and salt, haha. I've never seen Subaru do cash back offers like most other brands, so 0% APR is typically as good of an incentive as you'll get for Subaru in general. The rest you'll have to do in terms of negotiating/finding dealers who will offer you a better price, etc... Since the 2019's have been out for a few months, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on a 2018, especially on one that has been on their lot for a while. One way to go about it is to tell them you are interested in a 2019, get the best price you can, and then see how much lower you can get when you "change your mind" and ask, "well if I can get a 2019 for X$'s, then are you willing to deal a 2018 for X$'s minus another $1000" Or however much you are looking to spend/negotiate. Or if they can't give you a deal that way, look to see if they will put you in a premium 2018 for the same price as a base 2019, and so on until you find the deal you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Typically the end of the calendar year is a good time since dealers sell as many units as they can for accounting purposes and to get rid of inventory - and not as many people like to buy cars in the winter since as soon as you drive it off the lot it's going to get all nasty with slush and salt, haha. I've never seen Subaru do cash back offers like most other brands, so 0% APR is typically as good of an incentive as you'll get for Subaru in general. The rest you'll have to do in terms of negotiating/finding dealers who will offer you a better price, etc... Since the 2019's have been out for a few months, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on a 2018, especially on one that has been on their lot for a while. One way to go about it is to tell them you are interested in a 2019, get the best price you can, and then see how much lower you can get when you "change your mind" and ask, "well if I can get a 2019 for X$'s, then are you willing to deal a 2018 for X$'s minus another $1000" Or however much you are looking to spend/negotiate. Or if they can't give you a deal that way, look to see if they will put you in a premium 2018 for the same price as a base 2019, and so on until you find the deal you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Great info thanks! Any idea about the "VIP discount/pricing" for joining certain orgs.?

Thanks!

I, like you, have read about it on certain forums but never dug into how they worked. My work personally gives VIP pricing to us for Subaru (as well as almost all other brands) since we supply automotive parts to every major OEM. You can definitely negotiate your way down or below VIP pricing; however, the main benefit of the pricing is that it gives you a hassle free dealer experience and saves you time by not having to negotiate if you're happy with the VIP pricing. In the end it is more of a time and effort saver than a money saver. If you come in with VIP pricing, it is very difficult to get a better offer since they will use the whole "we are losing so much money by giving you this price" story.

Two experiences that I have had....

Bought our 2012 Legacy 2.5i Ltd. in Nov 2012....got a $5000 discount...sweet!!

Bought my 2013 Legacy 3.6R Ltd. in March 2014 (A few weeks before the new 2015's arrived) Got a $12,000 discount...Awesome!!!

The later you can wait and still find the car you want the bigger the savings :)

Two experiences that I have had....

Bought our 2012 Legacy 2.5i Ltd. in Nov 2102....got a $5000 discount...sweet!!

Bought my 2013 Legacy 3.6R Ltd. in March 2014 (A few weeks before the new 2014's arrived) Got a $12,000 discount...Awesome!!!

The later you can wait and still find the car you want the bigger the savings :)

So the week between Christmas and New Years should be the best time. But will I see the prices fall on cars.com (and other search engines), do I need to be in touch with specific dealers over time....or is there another way I can monitor and then jump on it when I find the best price??

Thanks!

No idea what the best "Procedure" would be....I just checked a few dealers, in person, for both cars and found what I wanted.

For the 2012 I was actually shopping for a Forester and the dealer mentioned that they were running a $5K discount on left over Legacys....OK by me!

The 2013 .... I was looking specifically for a silver 3.6R Ltd. and could not find one anywhere in the country.... Walked into a dealer that had what I wanted in Twilight Blue Metallic... Love at first sight!! The $12K discount sealed the deal ;)

No idea what the best "Procedure" would be....I just checked a few dealers, in person, for both cars and found what I wanted.

For the 2012 I was actually shopping for a Forester and the dealer mentioned that they were running a $5K discount on left over Legacys....OK by me!

The 2013 .... I was looking specifically for a silver 3.6R Ltd. and could not find one anywhere in the country.... Walked into a dealer that had what I wanted in Twilight Blue Metallic... Love at first sight!! The $12K discount sealed the deal ;)

Can you elaborate on the $12K discount? I have never heard of a $12K discount on a brand new Subaru. Were there multiple discounts that added to the amount? Was it sitting on the dealer lot for a long time? In WA dealers have a hard time keeping any Sub on the lot.

People usually fail to mention that it was a demo car, had 500 miles on them & etc.

I have been buying Subarus for a pretty long time now for me, fam and friends. My conclusion is that if you do your homework, you can get a pretty decent deal all year around. Buying a brand new car is one of the easiest thing as pretty much all the dealers are competing for the same car.

I have established a relationship with a sales person that asks me to go bring him the best deal and he beats that by at least $500 which works for everyone.

I am now thinking what I paid for my 2012 3.6R which was the very 1st one in the state back then.

Buying a brand new car is one of the easiest thing as pretty much all the dealers are competing for the same car.

I have established a relationship with a sales person that asks me to go bring him the best deal and he beats that by at least $500 which works for everyone.

This was definitely NOT the case when I was shopping for my Mustang! I would see a low price, go for a test drive and to get OTD numbers including tax/etc....and NO ONE wanted to deal and certainly no offers to beat anyone else's price that no one would give in the first place.

And in the case of my dealer, Koons, they have this "Wow!" price that is essentially 100% total BS and means nothing. Talk about a game!! Buying used cars might take a little skill but isn't nearly as aggravating.

I hope to have a MUCH different experience when Legacy shopping!

Can you elaborate on the $12K discount? I have never heard of a $12K discount on a brand new Subaru. Were there multiple discounts that added to the amount? Was it sitting on the dealer lot for a long time? In WA dealers have a hard time keeping any Sub on the lot.

People usually fail to mention that it was a demo car, had 500 miles on them & etc.

I have been buying Subarus for a pretty long time now for me, fam and friends. My conclusion is that if you do your homework, you can get a pretty decent deal all year around. Buying a brand new car is one of the easiest thing as pretty much all the dealers are competing for the same car.

I am now thinking what I paid for my 2012 3.6R which was the very 1st one in the state back then.

Okay...here are the details. I was looking for a 3.6R 5th gen Legacy (had a string of Legacys prior to this and this was what I wanted)

I found this one sitting in the back of the lot of the largest Subaru dealer in the area.... It is a 2013 and I found it in March of 2014...It was effectively 2 years old since manufacture and had been in their inventory for about a year and a half.... Legacys do NOT sell well in this area!

The salesman I spoke to wanted to move it and we started the car sales "Game"...I told him as soon as we did the "make an offer and I'll check with the sales manager" I was walking away. He took me to the sales manager's office and I dealt with him directly. I asked what his "Best price" was and said I would buy it that day if the price was right. He looked at his papers on that car and wrote a price on a slip of paper and pushed it across the desk to me. It was a few dollars less than $12,000 off the sticker price that they wanted when the car came to them when it was the current model.

The car is a 2013 Legacy 3.6R Ltd....it had 27 Km on it...that is about 17 miles, so it was brand new but was almost 2 years old and was very dusty/dirty from sitting on their lot all that time. They washed it and I wrote the cheque.... BTW I bought it on March 11/14....happens to be my birthday too...... Happy birthday to me :wub:

h6yEbb7.jpg

I know someone will be saying ... "I want the actual pricing"

At that time, in Vancouver, a new Legacy 3.6R Ltd, listed for $36,295 + taxes + PDI + document fees etc etc....total would have been $41,150.40....those are Cdn. dollars for those who don't know ;)

I drove it off the lot for $29,053 all in.

I knew a guy in South Bend, IN who flew to Seattle to buy his 05 LGT wagon. I paid $26k for mine but he found a dealer on the internet selling the same car for $23000 or so new. So he flew out, went to Portland to go stage 2 and had a hell of a drive home through Idaho and Montana. Much over 100 mph driving in Montana, he said.

Archived