LegacyGT.com

Subaru BPE Silicone hoses for radiator ???

Not sure if anyone is having the same issue but the stock Subaru Radiator hoses for the 3.0R are really not that great. I have put some stainless jubilee clips on the bottom hose to stop it leaking because those stock clamps fail to seal after a while. The top hose is now weeping.

Anyone found anything on E-Bay ? searching for silicone hose kits is a bit of a nightmare.

From experience a decent quality silicone hose gets a better seal. Only need the two top and bottom radiator hoses, not really interested in any others.

‘08-‘14 WRX/STI are the same as us, search for those hoses. That said, there are disadvantages of going silicon. They weep over time.

I’m running an ACDelco rubber top hose, with the original bottom still. Hose clamps up top, OEM clamps on the bottom. No issues to speak of.

‘08-‘14 WRX/STI are the same as us, search for those hoses. That said, there are disadvantages of going silicon. They weep over time.

I’m running an ACDelco rubber top hose, with the original bottom still. Hose clamps up top, OEM clamps on the bottom. No issues to speak of.

So are you saying something like quality hoses like this will fit ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MISHIMOTO-2008-2014-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-RACING-BLUE-SILICONE-RADIATOR-HOSES/250910872658?fits=Model%3AWRX+STI%7CMake%3ASubaru&epid=21017010620&hash=item3a6b741452:g:8SYAAOSwr81UP~H3

I have had much better luck with getting silicone to seal over time, even with air in the inlet like from the turbo to intercooler etc.

Yes problem is that this is for only 2 of the 3 hoses required.

It looks like these are both for the TOP radiator hoses when in fact its the larger BOTTOM radiator hose that is the main problem.

Think I will pass and stick to the OEM ones. Possibly Gates do a lower hose. Cannot find a set, even from China that specifically say they will fit the Subaru EZ30 H6 Engine.

Edited by Tronic

I guess you deleted your post before I could submit the following.

Not sure what you mean there are THREE radiator hoses, two going into the top of the radiator and one at the bottom of the radiator.

Pretty clear if you Google the images available.

https://www.ebay.com/p/JDM-03-09-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-3-0r-Ez30-Engine-Lancaster-H6-3-0l-Flat-Six-24v/1852361879

Edited by Tronic

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Well after all these years I'm back here.

The OEM lower hose is still on the car, I added a second clamp and it stopped it leaking BUT now the top of my radiator has started leaking.

Basically I'm going to have a play, clean it up and use some Dow Corning 734 flowable clear silicone around the top, leave for a few days to dry and try that first.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to get a Fenix replacement radiator part number SUB7092 which is about 1/4 of the price of the Subaru OEM one that lasted almost exactly 20 years. Anyone tried a Fenix radiator ? They make some all aluminium performance ones but possibly not for the 3.0R.

Bottom hose looks like its now available on AliExpress as a replacement for the OEM part 45161AG05A and gates look to do a replacement part 22509

Will keep you posted.

Edited by Tronic
add text

Thanks for the information.

Has anyone here gone with a Fenix Radiator ?

They make both a standard radiator and a performance radiator for the 3.0R, the part numbers are SUB7092 and RACE7092.

The local Fenix distributor here doesn't get in the RACE version but it is available in Australia.

Also there is a really cheap alloy version on AliExpress made by FLUIDYNE has anyone used one of their radiators ? They look pretty good.

I'd replace that rad.  Old enough that the plastic end tanks may crack on you next.

No experience with Fenix rads but I have a generic all aluminum on my GT and seems to work ok.  I see a lot of generic/China rads all over for many cars and they work and I havent heard of any early failures yet.  But I wouldnt count on them lasting 20 years like an OEM Denso.

On hoses, I prefer the original spring clips that expand and contract with the parts.  But I did experience the same as you, they sometimes not seal when removed/re-installed.

I *think* it's the hose rubber hardening so I replaced my hoses with fresh oem rubber ones with the original spring clips and no more seeping for me.