Where's the walkthrough???

WE NEED IT HAHAH

WOW Nice job! I had this same thought about separating the boards. I completely understand the line of thought! Im def up for this! It would be nice to know more details before we all start to haxor.

Dave

For me, hacking up the radio & soldering jumper wires would be the easy part. I've done enough SMT assembly work and I have good soldering tools. I'd have no idea where to begin with regard to making brackets to hold everything, doing the bondo work, and matching the paint...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

can anyone post or send some pic/s just on the cutting the board part?

I dont care if the factory deck works (or needs to be left intact just dangling in the back) as long as its out of the way so I can flush mount a 7 inch touch screen display for a computer & ps2. I already have the flip out screen pioneer gps/tuner/dvd/cd/mp3 installed in the upper cubby. Here is the link for the kit if anyone is interested http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_62&products_id=228&osCsid=d8a90090531b682c17182b6b298aeb7c

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I'm resurrecting this for more info from ANYONE else who has done this, or at least more info for someone willing to try it themselves.

I'm working on it. I think I should be able to do it. I've cut the boards up and mounted them in a metal case so that they fit fully behind the dash. Unfortunately I have no time to work on it (I'm an electrical engineer at a startup). I do plan to start working on it again.

I'm working on it. I think I should be able to do it. I've cut the boards up and mounted them in a metal case so that they fit fully behind the dash. Unfortunately I have no time to work on it (I'm an electrical engineer at a startup). I do plan to start working on it again.

Niiiice... let us know! How easy has it been so far?

• 1 year later...
maybe if you get this done. you can put up a walkthough. I give you props. and hope it works out for you. so far theres one more person that had done this mod besides me on the fourm. not sure who is it tho. I had mines for 3 1/2 yrs now and so far so good. good luck on it. keep up the good work.

• 11 months later...

Decided to dig into the point raised in this older post...

<snip> 1. Why do you think the climate control is dependent [on] the HU? <snip>

I have looked enough at Vacation Pictures to know that some of the buttons on the head unit are used for diagnostic functions of the climate control system. Other than that I don't know.

If you separate the two units, you lose the self-diagnostic function of the ACC system.

I think the real answer to that question is that Subaru tried to save a few pennies by contracting the radio manufacturer to make a single combined unit rather than two pieces (radio and A/C control panel).

As for entering diagnostics mode, the test mode for the A/C control panel (the display and buttons) on the 2005 (and 2006 & 2007 too?) requires holding the AUDIO and either Seek Up or Seek Down buttons (two different test modes). Procedure is described starting on page AC(diag)-10, "HVAC SYSTEM (AUTO A/C) (DIAGNOSTICS)".

So in order to preserve that functionality after hacking up the factory radio, you should include some means of pressing those three buttons. It could even be a little box (with three pushbuttons) that you only plug in when needed (via a new harness that you add).

On the 2008/2009, you need to hold the AUTO and either MODE or A/C buttons (so these years don't need any of the radio buttons).

Entering diagnostics mode to test the A/C control system (blower, duct actuators, etc.) only requires buttons on the A/C control panel (AUTO and FRESH/RECIRC buttons for 2005, or A/C and Front Defroster for 2008/2009), so that should still work even after splitting/hacking the radio.

I didn't notice any instructions in the procedure mentioning needing to use any of the other radio buttons during diagnostics mode.

See the vacation pics for details.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived