LegacyGT.com

Rebuild or replace?

So last spring I stumbled upon a stock 08 Spec-B that I have some history with. It had a "blown engine" and long story short I got it for cheap, it runs, but #4 cyl. is dead. With about 220k stock, soccer mom, freeway miles I'm hoping it's a burnt valve, but we all know it's probably a busted piston. I'm assuming at this point it will at least need pistons and the heads rebuilt. I was a dealer tech for 6years so I'm more than capable of disassembling and reassembling the engine, but living north of Seattle close to the boarder I don't know of any good machine shops with Subaru experience to do the machine work. I would be willing to ship the block and heads out to someone reputable, I'd even be willing to make a weekend camping trip with the wife and the dogs to drive somewhere, but at what point would it be worth it to just buy a built short block from someone like IAG? My goals are a reliable/daily driven 350-400ish whp (sidebar: will a VF52 get me there?). I want forged pistons, I know some say they aren't necessary, but I've replaced too many short blocks over my career due to broken ringlands and really don't mind the added hassle they come with. The car will probably see some autocross and possibly some track days.

I have been searching for a little while and I can't seem to find any good answers. Thanks in advance!

Can’t help you with machine shops in SEA but I can tell you a stage 1 IAG will allow you to sleep at night based on your power goals. VF-52 definitely won’t get you there though. You’ll need something like a Dom 1.5XTR or similar to crack into the 350+ WHP club on pump gas. Maybe some of the SEA guys can chime in in reputable shops to do the head work?

Just give it to me. Cut your losses. :lol::lol::lol:

Yea, na haha, but I'll give you credit for trying! Like I said I have history with this car. It was one of only two Spec-b's the dealership I used to work for ever got and I did the PDI and the first oil change when it was new. I had always liked the 4th gen Legacy and this car made me totally fall in love! I still kinda can't believe I found it all these years later. Not to sound overly sappy but I really want to bring this car back to what I remember it being and then some!

Are there any used car dealerships that seem to have a lot of Subaru's for sale around you ? They would know who to send you to. Here in New England, those places are fairly common.

May be reach out to these guy's, https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/ James Kempf may remember me from back in the day, just tell him Ryan's dad sent you to him. We used to have a fast single cam yellow civic hatch. James may know of a good machine shop.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

recently completed my build:

Stage II IAG block

fully supported:

Blouch1.5XTR 3in, 10cm

Custom Killer BEE style manifold, EWG up-pipe TIAL 38mm open dump

Grimmspeed CAI, 3in turbo inlet,

IAG fuel rails, Aero REG, TGV deletes

Hexmods Trans Valvebody

single exit 3in exhaust

conservative, 20psi 402whp 348tq

tapers to 18 on the shift

she will make more soon.

meth in the works

• 3 months later...

Ok so its been a bit since I've been here and the plans have changed. Since I can't find a machine shop that I'm really stoked about and given what you get I've pretty much settled on a Stage II IAG block, it's really a no brainer for me.

I'm going to send the heads to a local guy that I do trust and I'm leaning towards replacing all the valves and springs with oem and sticking with the stock cams. Setting cost aside for a minute should I be considering aftermarket cams at this point? My thoughts are since the car has AVCS and our heads are considered fairly efficient stock it just seems a little overkill for a fun DD.

I still haven't set a firm power goal yet. My only must haves are DD reliability and relative low easy maintenance.

I tore the engine out last weekend and found what I had suspected, burnt valve on the #4 cyl. I also found two broken injector connectors, a loose turbo inlet clamp and the connector on the passenger side secondary air valve had all its wires chewed off right at the connector, god I hate lazy mechanics, and rodents for that matter :mad:

Also are the sodium filled valves really worth the extra $$? I'd be looking at $500 for just exhaust valves and that's a bit of a hard pill to swallow when supposedly better aftermarket stainless ones can be had for $200-250 for a set.

• 7 months later...
Are you going with the closed deck stage 2 or no? I am also looking at rebuild options and am thinking it would be worth the extra money. There are a lot cheaper options for forged internals and semi closed deck with just as good reputation. Im looking to make 450ish on a daily driver. Not trying to steal the thread just curious on which stage 2 your going or went with.

Sorry I'm not up on my forum game. Not much of an internet guy

As he said, welcome to the forum.

Lots of info here. look at the stickys at the top of the forums. good tips there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here