LegacyGT.com

New to tuning, where to begin...

Ppr

I recently purchased a Vf52 turbo to replace the stock one on my 05 Subaru legacy as it was starting to rattle. The rattle ended up being a stuck open wastegate that was undersized to begin with. You could literally put a flashlight under it and see the light clearly through the other side. While I was replacing the turbo I also did the uppipe, exhaust headers and installed a blow off valve. Everything else in the vehicle is stock. I purchased an openport 2.0 and even read my rom, but I have no idea where to begin or how to make a safe basemap to hold me over until I can get a tune. I know that I should have researched more ahead of time, but I was worried that the turbo was going to fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

First step: Start with a AFR and Boost gauges.

Next: Read as many "Get Started" posts on RomRaider as you can until you can pretty much guess what the next paragraph is going to say.

Next: Get started with only making small changes while watching your AFRs and knock correction like a hawk. Start with monitoring closed loop, then look at CL/OL transition, then start with light load open loop, and work your way up to a high load open loop. At some point during your OL tuning, your boost tables will need to be adjusted, so keep an eye on the Boost gauge as well. If you have any questions along the way, post/search on RomRaider.

The other thing is that your mod list is somewhat odd - most people do a downpipe before doing headers. But if your got a downpipe, you'll have fairly common mods and could use someone else's map as a starting point.

...or you can just contact a tuner like what rhino6303 said.

I tried looking online, but it's fairly difficult to find that particular map. I bought the headers work the uppipe as a combo deal and they're unfortunately generic. They ended up sounding pretty decent though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I actually ended up contacting him and we are currently tuning my car. He has definitely been quite helpful and quick to reply. I also ended up getting a wideband 02 sensor and boost gauge, but I am trying to figure out how to get them wired into the vehicle. There's definitely enough information on this site to figure that stuff out though.

Archived